Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Ural 2014 models announced

Fuel Injection, disc brakes all around...other neat stuff.

Hardware updates:
http://www.imz-ural.com/ural-rolls-largest-package-upgrades-ten-years/

Models and prices:
http://www.imz-ural.com/2014-models-prices/

Sounds like they are finally catching up to the competition, but their prices are a bit much for a 750.

They have no competition.

If you want an all-steel, 2WD factory built go-anywhere sidecar rig with warranty, this is the only one.

I waited x years for to get Ural reliable before I bought this summer my Patrol.
When we passed through Redmond, Wa the main importer didn't want to tell anything about the prototype with injection we saw in his repairshop.
For now I will stay with my rig and wait until they might fulfill my other points on the wish list>
low gear for off road riding and water cooled engine.
To me it looks like somewhen Ural will become a bike to be taken into serious consideration as everyday rig.
Meanwhile my 2013 model will be just a sunday morning enjoyment that will dictate its own speed=> Datscha speed
Sven

He had one there and wouldn't talk about it? Not a dealer I would trust. There is deviousness in his soul.
Either it had teething problems or some other deficiency that he didn't want to let customers know about.
I would delete him from my shopping list. Probably the Ural too until they have proven out.
I had a 2002 patrol that was a Total lemon. I bought it new and a shop manual with it. By the time I had 5,000 miles on it
It hat toasted the alternator 3 times and the timing gears once, godawful numerous electrical problems.
It came with extra adjusting bolts and nuts for the rocker arms in the tool kit. It needed them.
Every time I took a bolt off of it I replaced with American made metric because the Russian ones were such inferior grade steel.
Every electrical trouble spot, ( relays and such), I replaced with bosch units.
My log showed that for every hour I spent in the saddle, I had spent about 4 hours of maintenance.
This is why I challenge their high prices. They have not yet proven themselves worth that much money.

Phelonius, there is no deviousness with Ilya, aka the head of Ural. He's not a dealer, he is the North American importer and the CEO of Ural. The administrative HQ for the factory is located in Redmond WA. He did not want to talk about the EFI back then because he did not want word of it getting out before they were ready to announce it. This is much in the same way that every other bike manufacturer operates. As for your 03, suffice it to say that MUCH has changed since then.

Jim and Mike,
I didn't talk with the owner, but a promotional man J...? who didn't appear to me much of a technician, who had other stuff to do then attend an errant traveler. The lady (I understand Ilya's wife) who stayed with us for a few moments more was a whole different story and a grateful memory. The team helped me out with a few spares in a fingersnip without even charge for anything and for the rest advised me to ask Raceway services, where I bought the rig.
I would have loved to detail a list of quite a few issues as my contribution in their development (like the prototype clutch lever I tested) which I had in my mind at that moment to Sergio-Sergey? the thechnician, but he was on his jump to Russia.
As they did not even respond "a" word to my emails I took my own deduction.
And that is the same result I have with my clients after 24 years well intended development help.

= YOU CAN ONLY HELP THOSE, WHO WANT TO GET HELPED !

Jim Petiti had mentioned something like that already before and my visit simply confirmed it.
On top, what a German, who's foster grandparents came from Eastprussia today Kaliningrad, have to expect from a busy Russian in an inappropriate moment.
Open ears? I don't think so.

So I definitely appreciate to Mickey Sheffield in Anchorage his great and incredibly flexible and fast help with the damaged final drive and am conscientious that I will have to learn to stay on my own feet here in Costa Rica where my Patrol is about to become the 3rd Ural in the whole country.
Just as always; Be prepared for what will come up, and keep your eyes open who is the right contact for the various situations that might come up.

Such is life, has it always been, and it will be always like that.

I don't blame anybody, as there are "thousand ways to kill a flee"
Best regards from the finally sunny and windy Costa Rica.
Sven 😉

The pre-2007 Urals had many failures, but the newer models are much improved.

New alternators, timing gears, transmission gears, electrics, ignition, brakes, and now fuel injection and disc brakes all around.

Mine has been almost trouble free, and the couple of things that I had to 'fix' were very simple. I ride it many dozens of hours between maintenance events. Two year warranty for anything major that might break, the little stuff I just repair myself.

I'm quite happy with my 2013 Ural.

Gummiente - 12/9/2013 9:19 AM

Phelonius, there is no deviousness with Ilya, aka the head of Ural. He's not a dealer, he is the North American importer and the CEO of Ural. The administrative HQ for the factory is located in Redmond WA. He did not want to talk about the EFI back then because he did not want word of it getting out before they were ready to announce it. This is much in the same way that every other bike manufacturer operates. As for your 03, suffice it to say that MUCH has changed since then.

I met Ilya 12 years ago. Yes he is a nice guy but he's not your local dealer, he's the head of the whole operation.
Ilya did seem to be interested in what customers had to say. I don't know why Ural hasn't cured their unreliability problems yet.

Yes he is a nice guy but he's not your local dealer, he's the head of the whole operation.

Yes, that's what I already said in my first response to you. And they HAVE addressed their reliability issues. The difference between an 03 and a 13 is amazing! True, they are not "gas and go" like a Japanese bike, but they are the closest they've ever been to getting there.

Mike, lets hope the one above heard your vote
and Sophie Travelair will last for a couple of hundred thousand km as my second bike CB650 did.
together with the modifications, spares, journey, shipping and customs she is becoming to be the most expensive vehicle I ever owned.
I guess the most important for me to learn, will be how to fine tune the carburettors as all other bikes I had never caused trouble in this aspect, while I have seen quite a few strange things due to carburettor tuning on this Alaska trip.
A lot of the trouble was definitely caused by the stupid 10% ethanol gasoline that is sold in USA. The few minutes she ran on Costarrican gas the sound appeared much smoother to me.
So lets wait and see what the future will bring. It cannot become too bad as I have met already one Kazakhstanian Ural from 1978 and one Ural from 1986 in Washington that were just running fine.

Who has an idea how to get rid of these cribbling finger tips until the Bike will get out of customs_

I looked at urals when I first got injured and needed a sidecar rig so I could continue riding. I needed a bike I could have as a daily rider that wouldn't leave me stranded. The more ride reports I read seemed to be plauged with breakdowns. I decided to build my own rig for a fraction of the cost. I still think urals are a cool bike but not worth the money.