Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:ForumGeneral Discussion: Discuss USCA StuffTrikes
Please to create posts and topics.

Trikes

I got this email today. We have talked Trikes before and I didn't give Tim much hope but told him I'd ask again. We would be overwhelmed with 14000 members for sure and sidecar folks like being just that. Give me some input.

Hi Joyce,
I am wondering if you have heard of the "Gold wing road riders association" or of "Trike riders International". TRI is a group of trike riders that is 14,000 members strong across the nation. The organization is folding up and that leaves a lot of riders without a group to ride with. TRI is going to merge with GWRRA as of Jan. 2011 and some members are looking for an alternative. Sidecar riders are more along the ideals of the trike riders and are wondering if there could be talks about merging with United Sidecar Association?
This is not a crank email or someone off the edge. It is my feeble attempt to put out feelers about alternative organizations that would be good for the trike riders and they in turn being good for the organization that they ultimately join.

Tim McShane
Trike Riders International Member

The Gold Wing Road Riders Ass'n. has trike riders among them. If you don't want to ride with them, why not join "The Brothers of the Third Wheel" which is a long standing trike organization?
Trikes and sidehacks are different animals.

Let's keep the USCA for hackers.

Lonnie

I don't have any issues with trike riders, but in my limited knowledge it seems there is enough difference between trikes and sidecars that the USCA does not appear to be the best place for the trikes. In my short time with the USCA I have benefitted greatly from both the general and the technical information the members have so freely shared. Some times it takes me a while to get through the new postings as I continue to read everything, even the information on bikes or rigs that I do not have. Just figure in the future that could very well change with a new rig, but in the mean time I am still learning even if it not applicable at the present. Also believe the USCA is open to anyone, not just hack owners, so if they wanted to join they have that option. Sure would be nice to have a larger membership base but in general have to agree with Lonnie.

Bad idea IMO

Hi Joyce:
I am with Lonnie and Loon.
I have nothing against trikes, but 14,000 of them would be a bit too many for me. LOL

gail

Don't quite understand the reason for this if they can't keep together a club of 14000 than what would that do for us?
i don't have a problem with trikes I wouldn't want one but..........I would love to have a harley or Indian servi-car 😀 along with my sidecars

Hack'n - 12/1/2010 12:40 AM

Trikes and sidehacks are different animals. Let's keep the USCA for hackers.

+1.
Also, in my limited experience, the owners tend to differ as well. For what's it's worth, I attended the organizational meeting of the local chapter of the Brothers of the Third Wheel upon their invitation to be a liaison between the local 3 wheelers. The local trike group apparently imploded. We did have one joint lunch ride a couple of years ago, but I didn't appreciate the absence of consideration re: my instructions regarding pacing the ride for our Ural drivers. Oh yeah, I'm not too fond of scheduled monthly meetings either, but that's just me.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

HOMEY DON`T THINK SO !!!
No disrespect for trikers, but I think sidecarist`s are a unique bunch of crazies??!! last Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach, wifey and I drove the "Hack" around Daytona, saw lots of Trikes but only 3 other hacks, people on the sidewalk would wave at my wife in the "chair" and take pictures......bunching Trikes with Sidecars is like putting compact cars and Hummers in the same category? I saw Trikes with 350 V8 motors..cough.. if only I had the money !!
Y`all ride safe now ....... Mike .....

Attached files

I think you guys are being short sighted.

It would take very little effort to add a trike forum here and a trike section in the Sidecarist. Keeping a club fresh and growing and new blood for officers so the same old cadre don't end up doing all the work and providing the only vision for the club is always a problem for any organization and historically has been a big problem for the USCA. It is perhaps a even bigger problem now that the internet provides so much free and easy access to information and support without requiring membership or dues.

Speaking of dues(blushing because once again I am in arrears ;-), don't you think an influx of new members would have a very positive impact on the USCA treasury? And what about all the potential new advertisers?

I am not suggesting that the USCA should become a trike organization, but rather we should welcome the Trikes into our fraternity. It costs nothing to be nice and there is the potential for much mutual benefit. I think this is worth more careful consideration.

While your vision of the future of the club seems quite pleasant I have another one to throw out. Small group of sidecar folks who invite large group of trike owners to be members. Open elections, all sidecar owners voted out, Club does become a Trike Organization.

Currently sidecar ownership is not a requirement to be a member so anyone can join but numbers not only increase the treasury but also the expenses.

The initial post said the Trike club was folding from lack of interest, input or whatever. In that light I don't see an advantage in combining our interests.
Why would they be enthusiastic about our thing? Except for the third wheel they are the same cadre as any other motorcycle enthusiest. A third wheel does not a sidecar make! A sidewheel, or tricycle (check webster on this), but not a sidecar.
These people are free to join the association as individuals. Anyone with an interest (in sidecars) is free to join.
If we become the USC&TA why not add ATV'S?. They only have one more wheel, they still steer with handlebars like a bike.
Snowmobiles? They also go off-road.
Here we share information and input that is unique to sidehackers.
I like it that way.

Lonnie

Joyce - 12/9/2010 10:35 AMWhile your vision of the future of the club seems quite pleasant I have another one to throw out. Small group of sidecar folks who invite large group of trike owners to be members. Open elections, all sidecar owners voted out, Club does become a Trike Organization.Currently sidecar ownership is not a requirement to be a member so anyone can join but numbers not only increase the treasury but also the expenses.

I have to agree with Joyce. I was involved in a gun club years ago that was initially set up by a group of Civil War reenacters. We went threw all the hassles of getting proper permits, bought land, and built a clubhouse complete with an on site restaurant and lounge. About ten years later, a group tried to build a trap shooting range in the county. Someone from the county board approached us to merge, rather than they build anew. We agreed, but problems started almost immediately. Within three years, the board was taken over by shotgunners and they actually passed a rule against the use of black powder on the range.I also question why that many members can't maintain their own group.

A sidecar outfit is an eccentric unbalanced two track machine.
A trike is a balanced symmetrical tri-track machine.
An ATV is a balanced symmetrical two-track vehicle.
And none is an unbalanced symmetrical single track vehicle, ie, solo.

All have different riding and driving and social aspects. Praise be the differences.

Mike:
Solos and sidecar rigs have also been fitted with 350 V8 motors.

The Boss Hoss bikes were originally sold in kit form. But now you can get them both directly from Boss Hoss Inc, or from numerous dealers throughout the United States and in other countries. The dealer can have it painted a custom color and install custom components. Many Boss Hoss riders opt for the stock 1970 Chevrolet 350 engine, Edelbrock four-barrel carburetor, and wide 8-gallon gas tank. Note, there is also a 2-gallon reserve tank under the seat. The Boss Hoss V8 generally gets 24 to 30 miles per gallon. And there is a specially designed two-speed automatic transmission with Reverse gear. The wide handlebars give lots of leverage for turns, and there is more ground clearance than you might first guess. But this is not a machine for carving corners like a superbike.

http://v8bikes.com/boss-hoss-v8/

Joyce - 12/9/2010 10:35 AM

While your vision of the future of the club seems quite pleasant I have another one to throw out. Small group of sidecar folks who invite large group of trike owners to be members. Open elections, all sidecar owners voted out, Club does become a Trike Organization.

Currently sidecar ownership is not a requirement to be a member so anyone can join but numbers not only increase the treasury but also the expenses.

+++

please be careful board

In EVERY club are interests involved and the elections days are the worst I have in my memory.
And certain persons allways put their personell interests above the ones of the rest.
So the best is to keep the doors open for individuals the club can control case by case, but do not open the door to another organisation as unit that will invite for trouble ASAP.
Just my 2 cent as decade long former activist in several sprot, social and political organizations...
I say interntionally former, because Indian "robbed feather" made me even leave the Lion's club I cofounded.

This organization is run well by uninterested persons. Why put a tick into your own furr!

Best wishes
Sven

Peter Pan - 12/10/2010 8:20 AM

In EVERY club are interests involved and the elections days are the worst I have in my memory.
And certain persons allways put their personell interests above the ones of the rest.
So the best is to keep the doors open for individuals the club can control case by case, but do not open the door to another organisation as unit that will invite for trouble ASAP.
Just my 2 cent as decade long former activist in several sprot, social and political organizations...
I say interntionally former, because Indian "robbed feather" made me even leave the Lion's club I cofounded.

This organization is run well by uninterested persons. Why put a tick into your own furr!

Best wishes
Sven

As usual, Sven sums it up nicely. Adding 14,000 trike members to this group, would be a really bad idea. It could result in loss of identity for the present members and non-member contributors.

Personally, I don't like trikes. I've owned one and ridden enough of them to realize that they are, at best, a complete compromise. They aren't cars and they aren't motorcycles.

Finally, as mentioned so succintly above, if they can't get along with themselves, how would they fit in here? It would be a political nightmare. The GWRRA would be a better fit for trikes. There are already many trike owners there.. I used to belong to the GWRRA and also HOG and those experiences soured me on formal memberships in any case.

I probably don't have a vote, but I'd forget about this one.

my answer would be no to trikes. this is a great group ,to flood it with a large group of trike owners could change the group and slowly push us sidecarists out the door. better a small group with fewer problems than a big group with power plays to worry about.

I tend to agree with the majority here, nothing against trikes but let them form a smaller group specific to thier needs. I fear that we would loose the uniqueness of our sidecar roots and would hate to have to start all over again because of our generosity to another group that can not keep thier own group going.