Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Transporting Trudy (2008 Gearup)

Hi, I came on board tonight and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Perry and I live about 35 miles north of Detroit. I've had Trudy (2008 Gearup) almost five years and have had more fun than on any other bike I've owned except for the first one I bought at age 15, a long long time ago, first freedom is hard to beat. 'Susy the worrior Nana' will ride with me in fair wheather, and Daffy the duck dog will ride anytime. It's the fair wheather thing that makes the need to transport Trudy when we camp. This is the third truck I've had a version of this bike rack on. I've recycled the rails, winch, ramps and ramp center support on each version. All material except recycled items purchased at Home Depot. Takes about 25 m to load or unload bike and stow gear. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Others add pictures, How do I? well Hi anyway.

Hi trudyrider. Welcome to the forum - we're glad you're here. Looking fwd to pics of your rig & hauler.

Instructions can be found re: posting pics under the Forum Help topic, including this discussion: http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9290&posts=4&start=1

I've found the best way to post pics is to click on the Use Rich Text Editor button at the lower left, then look for the button with the green tree to post an off-site photo by link.

If attaching a photo from your computer, check the Attach a file after posting box and the forum will guide you thru the process. Please note there is a 200K size limitation, so most pic have to be reduced down to "Web Large" size -- that is, generally speaking, about 650-750 pixels wide.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Attached files

Thanks again SwampFox, education is a great gift.

Great Idea! I wonder if I could get My Goldwing rig onto my truck?

Attached files

No problemo!
All you need is an acetlyene torch and goggles.

Heh, heh,

Lonnie

Hey SidecarMike yer funny , can you really call that thing a truck??
Trudyrider that is a nice setup you have there.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

wvsporty - 9/27/2012 2:17 PM Hey SidecarMike yer funny , can you really call that thing a truck??

I like it. I've been able to haul anything I need with it. It does a nice job pulling a trailer if I come across anything too big for the bed. 205,000 miles and still getting 30+ mpg out of a 4X4. Not quite the space for Trudy though.

Attached files

Hey Mike jsut kidding, I get harrassed all the time about riding a Sportster, but I like them. at one time I had 3 now its just the rig and my 76 Ironhead. The wife moved up to an Ultra Classic last fall.

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

If you see mine on a truck or trailer please call the police it is stolen.

Your livin the dream 46u, but 43 years with Susy, I'll drag her trailer and haul my rig so I'm where she is and my rig is where I am, works for me. Have fun doing the next six.

Hey Trudy. I trailer mine and the wifes bike sometimes cause I know she can't ride like I can. I have a 27' toy hauler RV for when we go long distance and we have our own place to stay. We love camping this way

Thats a very nice outfit!

Each to there own. 😉 In my situation I could not afford gas in a set up like that much less the set up but is very nice. Mine has been on a trailer twice in all most 90k miles once because of a flat tire and the other when I wrecked it. I could have take the front fender off and drove it but was too upset the bike was hurt so bad. But I have to say if it was not a big dresser I would have been in very poor shape so it protected me well.

Tell me that when you pop a rear tire on a 98 degree Sunday, 75 miles from home. When I have a choice between renting a motel room in Wisconsin Dells in early August and hoping that the local dealer has a tire in stock and time to get me on the road or trailer home where I have a tire on the shelf, I choose the trailer.

AS I said one of the two times mine has been on a trailer is do to a flat tire. 😉

Great on the toy haulerand a wife that rides. Susy used to ride behind me but lost interest and I couldn't get her into the right mindset to ride her own. Trudy and a way to haul her came as the same idea, on a camping trip. We were camping with two other outfits and Daffy(6 months old at the time) wasn't liked by one of the other dogs in the group. I ended up taking her back to our trailer and the though hit me, "IF I HAD A SIDECAR RIG--WE COULD GO". I remenbered seeing a URAL at a bike show in the early 90s. Got home, Susy working/me retired, room for creative thinking. Found Crawford Sales about 30 miles away, he had inventory,to the bank,picked a rig, gave wrong cell phone number to bank and Crawford, got a call from Susy at work-"What loan is approved and who the h--- is Crawford?" Continued to design bike rack(she wouldn't give up her trailer for a toy hauler), another call from Susy at work, Your bike is ready to pick-up, what color did you get? CAMO????
I got it home and she didn't want to get in the sidecar so I parked it in the backyard, went inside and watched out the window. Wasn't long before she was standing close to Trudy and finally she tried it on. I went out to see how she liked it,she was a little warmer now, then I showed her the spotlight switch and told her she had full control of the spotlight, lot warmer now, even asked to go for a ride after dark to spot deer. She then signed us up for Crawfords Rally.I WON. I trained Daffy to ride in the yard and the rest is history. This whole set-up is working great for us. (Only had one kid in highschool that could aford a sporty, the rest of us just drooled)

or jump off your Norton Commando in Death Valley about 10.000 km away from home.... because a hit in the gear box.
Some very friendly Snow Bird Ladies brought me to the next feasonable hospital in Las Vegas.250km
For to top off the story the drivers name of the orange Beadle with a trailer hitch was called Lee Snow...
Happened so Oktober 1988.
Sven

Thank you Bob.

trudyrider - 9/28/2012 9:39 PM

... got a call from Susy at work-"What loan is approved and who the h--- is Crawford?"....

Glad it has worked out so well.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300