Notifications
Clear all

Transport from Seattle to Sacramento

14 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@cruzerdog)
Topic starter

Looking for a enclosed tow from DMC side cars in Buckley WA (Seattle ) to Sacramento CA in sometime in early June?

2015 Moto Guzzi with a Tomahawk sidecar freshly installed .. thought I'd take a chance before I hire a trucker ....maybe someone is coming south with an empty enclosed trailer ?  John 916-764-0700

Posted : April 17, 2019 2:37 pm
(@jaydmc)

Not to discount your idea here however you need to know under Washington state tax law, if the bike ships out with a commercial trucking company with proper paper work showing that it was shipped out of state, we do not charge 7.9% sales tax. If on the other hand it is picked up at our location by anything other then a commercial shipper, we must charge the sales tax.

Sorry, it is just the way the law is written that we must follow unless the person owning the bike can prove that they live in a state or province with out sales tax .

I have contacted all of my state representatives to try and get this changed as it is costing the state tax revenue and I could hire another person as more people would bring us their bikes and have us install the sidecars if the taxes were the same as they are when we ship it out of state.  I have explained that more money would be coming into the state as people would be staying in hotels, eating in restaurants and one more person would be employed and that under the current law the only company benefiting is the out of state trucking company. So far the only response I have gotten is that it is a sensitive subject legislation wise due to Boeing getting essentially the exemption I am asking for. I guess we are just to small to make it worth their effort.

Latter this month we have our county executive touring our facility and are being featured in the counties news letter, we are in the second largest county in the state. I intend to bring this up with him. While he is in county government, perhaps the people in state government will listen to him more then they do me.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Posted : April 18, 2019 2:48 am
(@cruzerdog)
Topic starter

so if I order a AAA slide bed to pick it up  to bring to me   ...(I have 100 mile free towing  with hagerty Ins )     and I thought CA  was nuts ..

Posted : April 18, 2019 4:20 am
(@Anonymous)

Jay, do you know Dave Somers up in Snohomish County? He's a sidecarist and a county official. He might be a good person to network with on the tax law thing. I'm not thinking he'll be able to do it all by himself, just like it seems you as a business owner can't but networking with others might just make some headway. Just my opinion....

Posted : April 18, 2019 1:31 pm
 Bone
(@Bone)

Quote from jaydmc on April 18, 2019, 7:48 am

Not to discount your idea here however you need to know under Washington state tax law, if the bike ships out with a commercial trucking company with proper paper work showing that it was shipped out of state, we do not charge 7.9% sales tax. If on the other hand it is picked up at our location by anything other then a commercial shipper, we must charge the sales tax.

Sorry, it is just the way the law is written that we must follow unless the person owning the bike can prove that they live in a state or province with out sales tax .

I have contacted all of my state representatives to try and get this changed as it is costing the state tax revenue and I could hire another person as more people would bring us their bikes and have us install the sidecars if the taxes were the same as they are when we ship it out of state.  I have explained that more money would be coming into the state as people would be staying in hotels, eating in restaurants and one more person would be employed and that under the current law the only company benefiting is the out of state trucking company. So far the only response I have gotten is that it is a sensitive subject legislation wise due to Boeing getting essentially the exemption I am asking for. I guess we are just to small to make it worth their effort.

Latter this month we have our county executive touring our facility and are being featured in the counties news letter, we are in the second largest county in the state. I intend to bring this up with him. While he is in county government, perhaps the people in state government will listen to him more then they do me.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

I have a friend who lives in Southern Oregon. She just bought a car here in Washington state and drove it home. She did not have to pay any washington sale tax as she was going to register it in Oregon. She bought the car from a dealer. So why would he have to pay sales tax in Washington and again in his state of California just because he trucks it there by an un-commercial company or if he were to drive it home. This does not make any sense . Why are you different then any other dealer.

Posted : April 19, 2019 2:06 am
(@jaydmc)

Yes, I know Dave, we have been to several events that we both attended and we set up a rig for him about 20 years back.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Posted : April 19, 2019 2:07 am
(@Anonymous)

Very good. I suppose I could have guessed easy enough that you'd know him. At any rate, on to what Bone says... it works the other way as well. I've bought various vehicles and motorcycles outside WA over the years and you can bet WA hits one up for the tax on this end when you go in to transfer the title and register it here. And if you get a bargain and the state bureaucrat doesn't like the price you paid, they'll look it up in their book and charge tax based on what they say it's worth.

Posted : April 19, 2019 5:08 am
(@jaydmc)

If you can prove to us that you live in a state that does not have a sales tax, we do not charge you sales tax. Oregon has no sales tax. California does. If the owner of the bike lived in Oregon, there would be no sales tax charged by us, as it is going to a state that charges sales tax. Tax must be charged. This would have been the case at the car dealership as well. I did not write the law, I do not like the law which is why I am working on getting it changed but I will follow the law.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Posted : April 19, 2019 10:48 am
 Bone
(@Bone)

Quote from jaydmc on April 19, 2019, 3:48 pm

If you can prove to us that you live in a state that does not have a sales tax, we do not charge you sales tax. Oregon has no sales tax. California does. If the owner of the bike lived in Oregon, there would be no sales tax charged by us, as it is going to a state that charges sales tax. Tax must be charged. This would have been the case at the car dealership as well. I did not write the law, I do not like the law which is why I am working on getting it changed but I will follow the law.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

So are you telling me if a person buys a rig from you and lives in a state that charges sale tax and gets the bike home other then with a commercial carrier that person has to pay Wa. sales tax and then pay tax on it again in there state when they it back to there state ? That'a total bull crap !

Posted : April 20, 2019 2:40 am
(@Alan_Hepburn)

Quote from Bone on April 20, 2019, 7:40 am

So are you telling me if a person buys a rig from you and lives in a state that charges sale tax and gets the bike home other then with a commercial carrier that person has to pay Wa. sales tax and then pay tax on it again in there state when they it back to there state ? That'a total bull crap !

In California, if you have a bill of sale showing that you paid sales tax in another state, then you will only pay the difference - for instance: if you pay 7% to Washington, then you subtract that from whatever you pay in California and the DMV will ask for that amount.

Posted : April 20, 2019 11:27 am
(@cruzerdog)
Topic starter

kinda sorry I started this thread ...  its gotten gotten off track  and I dont see a way to delete it   (this forum is hard to navigate  or user friendly  compared to wild Guzzi  and others . I think we need to up our USCA dues and put a "turbine "on this forum  ha ha  . and I have no clue on how tune it up ) .     I will have a contract carrier pick up the rig for me ...  very excited to get this Guzzi back .. thanks Jay  ..   you just can't fight the state tax guys .. in WA or CA  ... all the Guzzi guys are waiting for pics of the progress

Posted : April 20, 2019 4:28 pm
 Bone
(@Bone)

In California, if you have a bill of sale showing that you paid sales tax in another state, then you will only pay the difference - for instance: if you pay 7% to Washington, then you subtract that from whatever you pay in California and the DMV will ask for that amount.

That makes sense .

Posted : April 21, 2019 2:14 am
(@big-tom)

Just to get this thread back on track. It's really too bad that you were not able to fly up and ride the rig home.

Next a question. How wide of a trailer would be needed to fit your rig.

I was a bit surprised at the width of my GW with Hannigan Astro.

Posted : April 21, 2019 2:41 am
(@cruzerdog)
Topic starter

Quote from Big Tom on April 21, 2019, 7:41 am

Just to get this thread back on track. It's really too bad that you were not able to fly up and ride the rig home.    I PERFERED NOT TO T RIDE IT BACK BECAUSE OF THE CRAPPY ROAD--- I 5 -- TERRIBLE TRAFFIC

Next a question. How wide of a trailer would be needed to fit your rig.  7 FT WIDE

Posted : April 21, 2019 8:11 am