USCA Sidecar Forum

WE CONTINUE TO BE HIT BY PHISHING ATTACKS. THE SITE HAS NOT BEEN “HACKED”, THEY ARE JUST PICKING UP INFO THAT IS IN THE OPEN. PLEASE BE EXTRA CAREFUL AND DO NOT RESPOND!

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Towing a Motorcycle with a Sidecar

I bought a Baxley trailer to transport my moto from the frozen north to southern parts in the winter. It's a drop deck trailer with wheel chocks to lock in the front wheels. It's an open trailer with a front gauard to keep the rocks and road debris from damaging your moto. The double wide trailer is set up for two full dressers or three smaller bikes, and my hack fits right on. Electric brakes and built strong enough so u don't have to worry about it bending the first time you hit a rough RR track at speed. I think Baxley makes the best bike trailer, but be prepared to spend $6k for one. Goggle them.

Some very fine trailers here but a little too pricey for me- http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/ I sure like this concept though.

The Ironhorse people have anew "Wide Body" version that has a 7'6" opening at the back. The wheel wells are internal so that may be an issue but the bigger issue is the $9,700 price tag for a version with one wheel chock. This is the obvious top of the line option. Here are the specs that interested me...

Tailgate Opening Width 7’6?
Tailgate Opening Height (top closed) 4’3?
Tailgate Opening Height (top open) 6’3?
Tailgate Width 8’4?
Tailgate Length 4’4?
Deck Height Above Ground 1’3?
Interior Width at Wheel Well 6’8?

A friend used to tow his Harley rig on the ground. Just broke the chin so nothing was turning. I pulled a 175 scrambler with axle hooked to trailer hitch. Ropes from handle bars to bumoer kept everything straight. I agree with Al about snoemobile trailer. We use a flat-bed car hauler to carry both rigs. Little wheels are hard on tires and bearings.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. rep

Smaller (narrow) rigs can be towed on regular 3 rail trailer.

Attached files

Rig widths vary a lot. With an open trailer you have to consider the total width of the rig, taking consideration anything that might interfere with existing sides or inboard fenders.
With a covered trailer you have to consider the throat opening at the top of the ramp and clearance for handlebars, mirrors and room to tie the rig down.

Lonnie

We tow our sidecar outfit on an Ultimate Trailer made in bolder Colorado. It has a bed that lowers to the ground and raises using a compressor. There is a stone shield on the front and I have never had any problems with nicks. Our outfit is a Hannigan Classic attached to a goldwing f6b. The trailer has about a 70+ in. bed with. You can see Picts on Claude Steiner's Facebook page. He runs Freedom Sidecars up in Pa. An important issue is to use a chock and cross tie the back wheels. so that the rig doesn't "dance" sideways on the trailer. Just another option fwiw!