Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Towbar

Hi, me again!

More cranial wanderings. Just saw a pic of Sidecar Mike's great outfit loaded on his trailer, a nice option for several reasons. Breakdown is one possibility though we don't want to think about!

I have a couple of small towbars, one very lightweight of bent tubing & designed to fit VW's, the other heavier but with universal moveable arms. Either one can be modified & adapted so that it could attach to the forks on my Kawasaki KZ1000P-15 [future hack build].

The Harley Servi-Car trikes [love those things!] were regularly towed with a towbar mounted on forks with no problems, but with a symmetrical triangular suspension layout.

Wondering how well a fairly heavy sidecar rig would follow with a two bar attached to forks? Any ideas out there in the cumulative mind?

Kinda thinking the chair's wheel lead and body offset from forks could mess things up but can't really get a handle on it. Anybody ever been towed on their sidecar outfit?

My first sidecar outfit came from a Chevy dealer. They would hook it to the rear bumper of a customer car, tow it to the person's home, and ride the bike back. It was the same bar they used on Servicars.

I have come across a couple of threads, where people have said that we can't tow a Goldwing, because of transmission damage. I don't know if it is true, or if it would apply to your Kawasaki.

Thanks for the replies!

Thanks, Mike, I wondered about sidecars being used as delivery personnel's vehicles. That seemed the most likely time it would be done, just like the ServiCars. Kind of funny, huh? Youngsters are wondering, "How do you hook to the rear bumper?" Special glue, very special glue kiddies....

Thanks for the warning, Lloyd! I suppose it depends in part on tranny lube type but possibly they need lube pumped under pressure to protect. I follow a couple of Good Kawi forums, can ask there.

Thing is, I was thinking that with a hack rig there's room to stow a lightweight towbar, especially on a cargo rig like I'm building. Might be a long time for a flatbed tow truck but lots of folks have a trailer hitch. Need to carry along the proper sized ball and a wrench too. Something to consider when tripping long distance, just in case.

Here's my current design of a rig hauler. More protection with the low sides, see through drive on ramp with quick latches, step plates for east access, tool box, spare wheel and a winch for the heavy or disabled rigs ( bit of a backsaver for an old fart).

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Attached files

I adapted a Reese adjustable tow bar for use on my Honda 750 pulling a terraplane car. Towed it all over the neighborhood and seems pretty good, not sure about 70 mph but in a pinch....what the hell. I picked up a hitch made for towing things with an atv and mounted it a foot or so to the left of the ball on my bumper, keeps the rig lined up behind the truck and off the shoulder....Mike

Wow, lotta trailer there, Lonnie! Sort of reminds of some landscape gardeners trailers I've seen. That long wide ramp is priceless though, teamed up with a winch. That's the hot ticket.

Thanks for the info, TW Mike! One of the towbars I have is a Reese adjustable, small but very heavy as well as heavy duty, folds up into a compact size.

Hadn't thought about the part about hooking the ball off center, good idea!

Sounds like a towbar will work fine if a guy is sensible about it.

Thanks!

Be sure to search this site, as there has been some other discussions regarding tow bars in the past. Here is just one:
http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9867&posts=34&start=1

Thank you, I'll check that out!