Notifications
Clear all

tough steering

24 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@labill)
Topic starter

I have a 2000 Yamaha Venture.  I have been riding it without modification for some years.  Age is now telling me to keep the 3 wheels under me.

I was told years ago that I can modify the front end so it seems more like "power steering".  Can anyone give me any details if this I correct.

Thank,

Bill

Posted : August 29, 2022 3:45 pm
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

I have a 98 Royal Star with a raked front end. Steering is very easy for me (but I do resemble a gorilla in some aspects). I don’t know how the mod was done but there is a giant billet of aluminum under the steering head that might be how it was modified.  

Alas, I am unable to provide details on how the modification was done because the previous owner who built it has passed away. 

Illegitemi non carborundum est!

Posted : August 29, 2022 5:26 pm
(@swampfox)

Hi Bill, you may be able to source a sidecar appropriate triple tree at Machine & Design in Illinois:

https://customtripletrees.com/Yamaha.html#model2

https://customtripletrees.com/contact.html

Note:  New steering head bearings are generally required with these trees (order separately).

Posted : August 30, 2022 2:07 am
(@aceinsav)

Hi Bill

I added the easy steer to my wife's first trike that was the Yamaha RSV at the time the only place I could find that had the tree was Hannagan 

it is a bit pricey but well worth it. I also added handlebar risers. it's not too bad a job if you can do it yourself but you will have to loose your lower fork covers as they will not fit once the tree is changed 

Posted : August 30, 2022 2:40 am
(@labill)
Topic starter

AceinSav,

What degree did you use for your wife's?

Thanks, everyone for your information. I can now start  the project.

Bill

Posted : August 30, 2022 3:32 am
(@aceinsav)

as it turns out it is the only one Hannagan offer for the Yamaha and I'm pretty sure it was a 4.5 

Posted : August 30, 2022 4:09 am
(@smitty901)

Mine is in Hannigaan's shop right now getting the 4 1/2 degree tree installed. Bearing and everything is part of the deal.

Hope to be heading home with it latter today.

Posted : August 30, 2022 6:24 am
(@aceinsav)

Quote from smitty901 on August 30, 2022, 11:24 am

Mine is in Hannigaan's shop right now getting the 4 1/2 degree tree installed. Bearing and everything is part of the deal.

Hope to be heading home with it latter today.

good deal, you should be very happy with it. 

Posted : August 30, 2022 7:11 am
(@labill)
Topic starter

One more question.

Chrome Triple trees have a 6 1/4 tree.  I see smitty901 has a 4/ 1/2.  With either one do you know if the bike is still ridabel two up?

Thanks

Posted : August 30, 2022 11:40 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Another person can be on the bike, but without a fair bit of ballast, even a Hannigan Astro isn’t heavy enough on its own to be as stable as I would like.  

Posted : August 30, 2022 11:56 am
Thane Lewis
(@thane-lewis)

Quote from AceinSav on August 30, 2022, 9:09 am

as it turns out it is the only one Hannagan offer for the Yamaha and I'm pretty sure it was a 4.5 

Is it a massive billet of aluminum under the TTT?  I’m fairly certain that’s what Nelson put on the rig, but since I don’t have a parts list, it’s kind of a guessing game.

Posted : August 30, 2022 12:00 pm
(@aceinsav)

so just curious what car do you have hooked up the your Yammy 

what I found is when riding 2 up I lower the car as far as I can safely to counter for the rider, as Thane said without some ballast in the car riding 2 up can be a bit unnerving if you have a lot of twist and turns 

Thane

yeah I do believe he put the Hannigan tree on it 

Posted : August 31, 2022 2:43 am
(@labill)
Topic starter

I have a Formula II.  It has it's own braking system so when I take it off I don't have to worry about the brakes getting air in them.

Posted : August 31, 2022 3:21 am
(@aceinsav)

COOL, I had the FII on my 1500 wing, I really liked it and my wife logged many a mile in the car over the years we had it. 

Posted : August 31, 2022 4:47 am
(@michael-ladue)

Quote from Thane Lewis on August 29, 2022, 10:26 pm

I have a 98 Royal Star with a raked front end. Steering is very easy for me (but I do resemble a gorilla in some aspects). I don’t know how the mod was done but there is a giant billet of aluminum under the steering head that might be how it was modified.  

Alas, I am unable to provide details on how the modification was done because the previous owner who built it has passed away. 

I have seen Thane in person...he does resemble a Gorilla, so he is telling the truth. 

On the triple trees on Thane's rig, that is a Hannigan trail reduced triple tree, that Thane refers to as a hunk of Billet.

Hannigan has a tendency to use 4.5 degrees of angle in their custom made triple trees, whereas the trail reducing triple trees made by Bill, at Custom Triple Trees generally have a 5 degree angle, or up to a 6.5 degree angle, all depending on the model of bike they will be used in.

On both of my Goldwing 1800's that I personally installed trail reducing triple trees in, both made by Bill, they were both an added 5 degrees, and the bikes/sidecar rigs handled perfectly with the new triple trees.

Bill, at Custom Triple trees is the primary maker of these triple trees, as sidecar companies like DMC, and I believe at times even Hannigan, order their triple trees from Bill.

Posted : August 31, 2022 6:44 am
Page 1 / 2