Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

tough steering

Page 1 of 2Next

I have a 2000 Yamaha Venture.  I have been riding it without modification for some years.  Age is now telling me to keep the 3 wheels under me.

I was told years ago that I can modify the front end so it seems more like "power steering".  Can anyone give me any details if this I correct.

Thank,

Bill

FlyinMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeys

I have a 98 Royal Star with a raked front end. Steering is very easy for me (but I do resemble a gorilla in some aspects). I don’t know how the mod was done but there is a giant billet of aluminum under the steering head that might be how it was modified.  

Alas, I am unable to provide details on how the modification was done because the previous owner who built it has passed away. 

FlyinMonkeys

Hi Bill, you may be able to source a sidecar appropriate triple tree at Machine & Design in Illinois:

https://customtripletrees.com/Yamaha.html#model2

https://customtripletrees.com/contact.html

Note:  New steering head bearings are generally required with these trees (order separately).

FlyinMonkeys
Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Hi Bill

I added the easy steer to my wife's first trike that was the Yamaha RSV at the time the only place I could find that had the tree was Hannagan 

it is a bit pricey but well worth it. I also added handlebar risers. it's not too bad a job if you can do it yourself but you will have to loose your lower fork covers as they will not fit once the tree is changed 

FlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913

AceinSav,

What degree did you use for your wife's?

Thanks, everyone for your information. I can now start  the project.

Bill

FlyinMonkeys

as it turns out it is the only one Hannagan offer for the Yamaha and I'm pretty sure it was a 4.5 

USCA # 8913

Mine is in Hannigaan's shop right now getting the 4 1/2 degree tree installed. Bearing and everything is part of the deal.

Hope to be heading home with it latter today.

Thane Lewis and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
Thane LewisFlyinMonkeys
Quote from smitty901 on August 30, 2022, 11:24 am

Mine is in Hannigaan's shop right now getting the 4 1/2 degree tree installed. Bearing and everything is part of the deal.

Hope to be heading home with it latter today.

good deal, you should be very happy with it. 

FlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913

One more question.

Chrome Triple trees have a 6 1/4 tree.  I see smitty901 has a 4/ 1/2.  With either one do you know if the bike is still ridabel two up?

Thanks

Another person can be on the bike, but without a fair bit of ballast, even a Hannigan Astro isn’t heavy enough on its own to be as stable as I would like.  

Quote from AceinSav on August 30, 2022, 9:09 am

as it turns out it is the only one Hannagan offer for the Yamaha and I'm pretty sure it was a 4.5 

Is it a massive billet of aluminum under the TTT?  I’m fairly certain that’s what Nelson put on the rig, but since I don’t have a parts list, it’s kind of a guessing game.

FlyinMonkeys

so just curious what car do you have hooked up the your Yammy 

what I found is when riding 2 up I lower the car as far as I can safely to counter for the rider, as Thane said without some ballast in the car riding 2 up can be a bit unnerving if you have a lot of twist and turns 

Thane

yeah I do believe he put the Hannigan tree on it 

Thane LewisFlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913

I have a Formula II.  It has it's own braking system so when I take it off I don't have to worry about the brakes getting air in them.

FlyinMonkeys

COOL, I had the FII on my 1500 wing, I really liked it and my wife logged many a mile in the car over the years we had it. 

FlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913
Quote from Thane Lewis on August 29, 2022, 10:26 pm

I have a 98 Royal Star with a raked front end. Steering is very easy for me (but I do resemble a gorilla in some aspects). I don’t know how the mod was done but there is a giant billet of aluminum under the steering head that might be how it was modified.  

Alas, I am unable to provide details on how the modification was done because the previous owner who built it has passed away. 

I have seen Thane in person...he does resemble a Gorilla, so he is telling the truth. 

On the triple trees on Thane's rig, that is a Hannigan trail reduced triple tree, that Thane refers to as a hunk of Billet.

Hannigan has a tendency to use 4.5 degrees of angle in their custom made triple trees, whereas the trail reducing triple trees made by Bill, at Custom Triple Trees generally have a 5 degree angle, or up to a 6.5 degree angle, all depending on the model of bike they will be used in.

On both of my Goldwing 1800's that I personally installed trail reducing triple trees in, both made by Bill, they were both an added 5 degrees, and the bikes/sidecar rigs handled perfectly with the new triple trees.

Bill, at Custom Triple trees is the primary maker of these triple trees, as sidecar companies like DMC, and I believe at times even Hannigan, order their triple trees from Bill.

Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis
Two Million Miles, and All 7 Continents
Quote from Thane Lewis on August 30, 2022, 4:56 pm

Another person can be on the bike, but without a fair bit of ballast, even a Hannigan Astro isn’t heavy enough on its own to be as stable as I would like.  

I am home now. The tree is installed an well tested. On my 2017 I had 6 degree rake.

IMO the 4.5 is better. it is fine two up. My sidecar is a twin classic and wife riding on the bike with me works great.

What I really like about the Hannigan tree is they CNC machine it in house. Build like a tank.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
Thane LewisFlyinMonkeys

Riding two up was my question.  Got my answer.

Thanks, everyone.  This was an informative discussion.

labill

FlyinMonkeys
Quote from smitty901 on August 31, 2022, 12:01 pm

I am home now. The tree is installed an well tested. On my 2017 I had 6 degree rake.

IMO the 4.5 is better. it is fine two up. My sidecar is a twin classic and wife riding on the bike with me works great.

What I really like about the Hannigan tree is they CNC machine it in house. Build like a tank.

Hi Bob

quick question, in your opinion why do you like the 4 1/2 better.

FlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913

That triple clamp oic looks a lot like what I can see without removing bits.  It works wonders for the handling of the rig.

FlyinMonkeys
Quote from AceinSav on August 31, 2022, 2:09 pm

Hi Bob

quick question, in your opinion why do you like the 4 1/2 better.

The 6 degree required more unnecessary work. Parts of the dash needed to be trimmed away. Adding more cost. It did not offer any advantage.

I took the new tree out to today and road hard. passed ll my test.

SwampFox and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxFlyinMonkeys
Page 1 of 2Next