Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

To Sidecar Rally Hosts et al.

Some Sidecar Rally flyers have a lot of information regarding local color, camping, and show pricing for the entire event of 3 days or whatever. No provision is usually made for those who can't or won't want to stay on site for the full event schedule.
I have been to events where security would not let us enter the site at all without paying the full three day price for the event, even though we were only going to be there for an hour or so.
I can appreciate the fact they may not want freeloaders camping on site and taking advantage of pleasantries that others have paid for but usually the paying guests have some kind of identifying label, stamp or something that says they paid their dues and are privy to the amenities provided.
Since the object of our Rallies is not only to invite insiders but also to welcome newbies, the curious, and other interested parties to the sport of sidecaring and perhaps help grow the sport there should be more consideration to the day trippers,locals, and drop-ins.
Why have vendors there to offer sidecars and sidecar related products only to persons who already have them? Where is the new blood coming from?
Rallies like Griffith Park, The Unrally, The Nelson B.C. Rendezvous and many others with an open door policy are much more people friendly and day trippers can be easily separated from paying participants where needed.

Food for thought?

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecars

I've talked to at least one couple who want to come over to the NW Regional rally in June for part of a day and I told them they are very welcome to do so. He rides an older H-D with a very well built home made sidecar mounted on the left. I thought it was a British set up until he explained the need to access his kick starter. No button...

And at the rally in Stevenson, WA there were some of the locals wandering through the camp ground checking out the rigs and visiting with the attendees.

As long as they don't come drink all the coffee and eat all the donuts (lol) I think it's a great idea unless they're there at the wrong time and up to no good...

Lonnie,

I am with you on this one. we just had our 1st sidecar rally, if not for ever for a long time, “Y’ll Come” and there were 20 forms completed most of those were one day people. My timing was not the best it was Bike Week in Daytona, CMA Rally week end, and it rained. If it had not been for the day people and lookers it would have been a flop.

Thanks for you observations Lonnie. I have the utmost respect for Rally hosts, no matter where they are and I'm even one myself. I don't have day pass pricing on my flyer either because there isn't a day fee. Locals and interested people can just show up and be most welcome to look around and talk.

Campgrounds willing to let us have our rallies are all different. Some have gone to a day use fee. So while people aren't really participating in the rally they are still using the restrooms, trash, and grounds and someone has to pay that fee. There is always the possibility and probablility of abuse, no matter if you establish a day fee price or not.

Financially, the host has probably had to anticipate the turn out and has made committments for meals, T-shirts and rally pins. There is no guarantee and statistically only about 25% of the folks will pre-register, the rest will just show up.

Maybe we should publish a daily fee instead of a total rally fee with a discount for paying all days at once.

Since I am just getting into sidecaring, I 'm not familiar with sidecar rallys organization.
I note, however, that seems like all rallies take place at campgrounds. That's a switch from the Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club where the get togethers" take place at a "ground zero" hotel. I can understand, however, why campgrounds are popular though because camp gear can be easily hauled in a sidecar.
At 79 years of age, my campground days are long over for me. Too many aches and pains for roughing it. I paid my dues in Korea and many years of camping/hunting though.

My only point is this: Give some thought to new or would be new sidecarists that would rather stay in hotels/motels but also would like to engage in some of the activities. Maybe only on a daily basis, but I'm sure that you've thought of this.
I would hope that the point is well taken about giving some thought to newbies and encouraging their interests and their initial enthusiasm. You note I said "initial". If newcomers or prospective newcomers note that if they don't camp, the door is almost or completely closed to them, they will leave.
Wayne

Hi Wayne,
Lots of folks stay at nearby hotels/motels and participate in the rally activities. For most events the local hotel information is printed on the rally flyer. Not everyone camps, but everyone enjoys the activities and comradarie...

I'd say our rallies are usually a three way split. A third tent campers, a third rv er's and the other third stay in nearby motels. Another challenge when finding a rally location can be securing enough of everything. Nobody wants to travel 20 miles a day from the nearest motel.

I don't see us moving our rally to a motel setting but I guess it could happen with the right volunteer host. You don't have to like camping to enjoy the great outdoors and participate.

Joyce, I didn't want to give the impression that camping is the wrong way to go. There are so many pluses to camping. Outdoors, cheaper (byfar) the fellowship, the tire kicking and "this is how I solved it" talks, and a relaxing atmosphere.
The advantage to "hoteling" is much less. A hot shower, a nice bed, no bugs, quiet when you want it.
If I attend a rally I'm sure that I'll get as much enjoyemnt out of it as I put into it.

Wayne

When I was the "Rally Wrangler" for the Bean Blossom rally way back in ought four we made sure the campground was ok with our day visitors coming and going. That way we could encourage the curious to visit with us. The only people charged the rally fee we actual rally attendants and vendors. Many visitors just stopped in for an hour to look at the rigs, talk to the riders and watch the sidecar games. I looked at the rally as not just for the members to get together and enjoy but as a means of recruiting new members.

As far as location, campgrounds just seem natural to me. I always look forward to the nightly campfire. Kind of a tradition, sit around the fire and tell lies. I've Rv'd to rallies and I've hotelled as well as camped. Spent time at the fire no matter how I got there and slept. I just assumed that a good rally site is one that affords all three types of rally goers their option.

Looking forward to the next one...