Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Tire change on Friendship 3 car

My FS-3 tire was a Kelly 145R13 -- it was worn on the inside edge and also was cupping. Yesterday, I went to the local discount tire place and replaced the tire with a Kumho 155/80R13.

The new tire is a little taller and wider. the tread area appears smaller than the Kelly and it fits in the fender well.

My surprise was that the rig handled much much better in curves with the new sidecar tire OR at least it felt that way.

You should check the alignment. Your tire wear shows that the alignment is off. If you need to know how to check it send me an email request to jay@dmcsidecars.com and I will send you an attachment with instructions as to how to set up a rig.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

jaydmc - 10/3/2012 10:30 AM

You should check the alignment. Your tire wear shows that the alignment is off. If you need to know how to check it send me an email request to jay@dmcsidecars.com and I will send you an attachment with instructions as to how to set up a rig.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com

Thanks Jay --- can always use Pro help --- sent a request via e mail

How does your rear motorcycle tire wear? I've learned that if I get the alignment set to a point where the sidecar tire wears even, the rear tire wears out faster. Given the choice, I can buy 5 sidecar tires for the price of a rear bike tire and they're much easier to change.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

SidecarMike - 10/3/2012 10:36 PM

How does your rear motorcycle tire wear?  I've learned that if I get the alignment set to a point where the sidecar tire wears even, the rear tire wears out faster.  Given the choice, I can buy 5 sidecar tires for the price of a rear bike tire  and they're much easier to change.

Just my 2 cents.

Mike

My rear tire looks fine, it has maybe 2000 miles with the sidecar.

I'm sure the tire was ok when the car was installed, otherwise the installer would (might) have said something. The changes made after the car was installed 1) a new tree from Libery 2) the bike had lowering blocks when car was installed, I removed them and made no adjustment to the car ( about 1/2" diff if that much) 3) the adjustable shock was set at lowest point when car was installed -- changed it to next higher point.

When I found the tire worn as it was, I checked toe in and it appeared ok.

Right now the rig is handling the best it has since I started this crazy sport. This being said, I do not think I will change anything -- but front tire change is coming up soon, still has the orginal Harley front tire -- any suggestions on proper tire to use.......