Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Time to start a new thread-

You've probably noticed we've got quite the conversation going on over in classifieds/wanted on Dennis Peabody's thread. Time to move it away from that thread. If you remember the "Red Menace" aka Vernon Wade in Hood River, OR, and recall a time that he was NW regional rep, and the time when Joyce was president, that's when I became WA rep. There's a bit of a story to that happening but I won't go into that right now. What I wanted to do was to post some photos of my first sidecar outfit and my first sidecar sidekick. These are from the Stevenson rally. My first sidecar rally. Prior to buying Hal Thompson's used Ural, I was a confirmed two wheels only rider. Thinking the only reason anyone would ride three wheels would be because they can't handle two. Wrong! My wife, Barb rode behind me for many years and many bikes. But she had decided to quit the bike. I thought perhaps she'd like the view from a sidecar better than the view of the back of my head. Her mind was made up although she did try it once at a UMCI rally in Okanogan. But I found out my Boxer Archie loved the sidecar from day one. So for a couple years, I rode the Ural so Archie could go, leaving the Harley behind. Even to HOG meetings and the like. I joined the USCA and began posting regularly on the forum, although the early posts show me as "deleted user" now. No need to go there either.... Just so some new forum members know the back story. Here's a few photos from one of the most fun rallies I ever attended. This was Archie's first rally and it was the first time I trailered a bike to a rally....

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
MJ, DRONE and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
MJDRONEFlyingMonkeys
- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.

I see the photo lose the titles in the post. The bottom photo is a Cataldo run with NW Classics MC, not Stevenson.

MGV8 and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
MGV8FlyingMonkeys
- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.

Quick note to help out: If you click on a photo it will open in a separate window and you can see the title of the pic. From there you can click on left and right arrows, or just wait about 5 seconds and the slide show will automatically forward to the next pic. Enjoy!

DRONE, Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
DRONEReardan TomFlyingMonkeys
"I ride because it frees my mind from the tyranny of petty things."

Seems we all have to start new chapters in our lives from time to time. Turn the page and look forward to the next one.. After that little bit of dribble, I had the honour of Meeting Petey on the ferry from Kootenay Bay  to Balfore. Yes, you too. On the way to Toad Rock if I remember right. I was still deciding what to do with my New Beemer and what sidecar to attach. We met again later that year at the Coeur D'Alene Rally. 

Uploaded files:
SwampFox, DRONE and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxDRONEReardan TomFlyingMonkeys

What year Coeur d'Alene rally was that? I have been to a couple there and was wondering if our paths had crossed back then.

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

These days I had to remember Vernon Wade too, with his better half, the many tipies and his amnesic dog. Is he still around, we haven't heard from him LONG, LONG time ago? It would be nice to get back to that area and ride through the forests again.

Sven 

CCjon, Reardan Tom and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonReardan TomFlyingMonkeys
Quote from MGV8 on January 24, 2023, 8:39 pm

Seems we all have to start new chapters in our lives from time to time. Turn the page and look forward to the next one.. After that little bit of dribble, I had the honour of Meeting Petey on the ferry from Kootenay Bay  to Balfore. Yes, you too. On the way to Toad Rock if I remember right. I was still deciding what to do with my New Beemer and what sidecar to attach. We met again later that year at the Coeur D'Alene Rally. 

Oh yes!! I love Toad Rock!! My favorite destination. And the ferry route is a much better route for me than the way I went the first few times.  I've met so many good people and made some very good friendships on the ferry and at Toad Rock. Particularly the group in the "goat pen" and Mary and Grant. Back when Barb rode with me on two wheels, we rode in Canada many times camping at provincial parks or hotelling it. She's never experienced Toad Rock. We missed the boat so to speak by not discovering that wonderful place years earlier. Since 9-11 and the border crossing has changed, she won't get a passport or enhanced drivers license so not much chance I'll be able to introduce her to the experience. Even if we were to travel in the cage. I'm not sure at this point if I'll ever make it back. Time will tell....

Uploaded files:
CCjon and FlyingMonkeys have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyingMonkeys
Quote from Peter Pan on January 25, 2023, 10:32 am

These days I had to remember Vernon Wade too, with his better half, the many tipies and his amnesic dog. Is he still around, we haven't heard from him LONG, LONG time ago? It would be nice to get back to that area and ride through the forests again.

Sven 

Hello my friend Sven, Yes, Vernon is still around but I rarely connect with him since I quit Facebook over a year ago. Lost many connections that way but there was way too much BS on FB. I miss the connections but I don't miss the BS.

DRONE, Resonatorchief and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
DRONEResonatorchiefCCjonFlyingMonkeys

Not sure how much 3-wheeling Vernon does anymore, but he still has his AdventureSidecar.com website and there's a couple of trip updates on there from last Fall.

Here's a 2019 pic from his website.  Crazier than me by far!

SwampFox, MJ and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxMJCCjonReardan TomFlyingMonkeys

I wonder if Vernon and Rhonda have ever met. Both enjoy winter camping via three wheels.... Both are darn good people with interesting stories to tell...

FlyingMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeys

Good to see this last photo... I have to laugh. No Tipi poles are on the rig this time, but a field bed to raise off from the ground, well thought.

I too feel like Technics is robbing time, but in my case on behalf of sidecar buddies: I would not have anybody around here in Costa Rica. All rig pusher contacts I got through the forums, so you cannot have everything and you need to make a compromise. 

For myself, I started rig pushing in December 1986 and my first journey was to Norway, few days after my return from there buddy Scherry and I went winter camping on the rig for the first time. Those weekend trips were way more fun then any other solo biker meeting we used to attend frequently. Well, Scherry rests now for the eternity to come on a marvellous spot in Norway to where he had emigrated.

Best regards from a way  warmer place.... where we got summer at this part of the year.

Sven

PS: with only remembering our stay at Amy and Vernon's place I get water in my mouth: https://adventuresidecar.com/cooking-for-guys/

CCjon, Thane Lewis and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane LewisReardan TomFlyingMonkeys