Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Time for tires

Looking for advice on tires for my 2005 wing with ride by side sidecar. This is my second year with the cart and I need tires. Should I stick with motorcycle tires or go Dark side. I don't plan on riding without the side car, so what are the best options?

I was going to do the same thing , the best fit I could find were Austone taxi tires .They will ft the rim but are about an inch taller than my stock so I went back to what I had, dunlop 402

Thanks for the info.

We have ran 205 16 tires on the rear of the GL1800, we have also gotten a 215 on the rear however we had to tie back the plastic inner fender to do so.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I would suggest visiting the "Dark Riders" forum on the GL1800.com site:
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?31-Darkside-Riders
You might have to actually join the forum to see the Dark Side portion. It will be in the sub-forums below the main forum list.

Thanks to those who posted. I have gone with a 205/50-16 and absolutely love the ride difference. Went with a "Pilot"front tire turned around, spent $200less than my last Dunlops. Looking forward to maybe 20,000 - 30,000 miles before the next tire change.

20 to 30K is somewhat optimistic for a tugs rear tire, darkside or not.

Lonnie

I had thought about trying a 205/50-16 size, but was concerned about getting the wheel & tire into place. In my garage I could probably do it, but not out on the road if I had to change it. Without the sidecar attached I could just lay the bike on it's side to slide the wheel in and out.

One item to not forget is that the rear wheel and driveshaft need regular servicing of moly paste and when running the CT you will need to service the rear end of the bike at approximately 12,000 miles.

"Without the sidecar attached I could just lay the bike on it's side to slide the wheel in and out."

With a 1500-1800cc Goldwing?

Sounds easy enough, no chance of marring the plastic, Eh?

Hack'n - 8/31/2014 8:40 PM

"Without the sidecar attached I could just lay the bike on it's side to slide the wheel in and out."

With a 1500-1800cc Goldwing?

Sounds easy enough, no chance of marring the plastic, Eh?

This would be on a 1800, the wheel uses lug nuts to attached to the wheel, just like a car. No axle to remove.
On a 1500 GL it's also easy, but it's been so long I can't remember exactly the procedure. You start out by removing the two side panels and the seat. Under the seat loosen two bots on either side that hold the saddle bag & trunk frame work, and there are two other lower bolts to remove but I can't remember which ones. Anyway, when through the whole back in (saddle bags & trunk) will pivot up and out of the way exposing the rear tire & wheel. Brace it so it doesn't come down. If you have added accessories & extra non stock wiring this might have to be removed.
Maybe someone can explain this further, it's been ten years since I messed with a 1500. It only takes about ten minutes to do this.

been searching + see Coker Tyre has options!! excelisor european tyres in many sizes + priced decently, coker is the us importer but many sizes are sold by summit racing @ lower delivered cost!!! searching shows state of art plant overseas of course, for lower production costs + higher profits, same sheet different day!!!