Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Thomas on his walk North

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next

Hey there guys.
It was great meeting you both in Dawson City. After we split up I made it to meet my friend at this brother's home near Fernie B.C. After visiting them I headed down into Montana then turned for home through, North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan. After crossing the border back into Canada I was home in two days. The next day after my return I rode into town for groceries and barely made it back home. My differential had finally packed it in. In any event the Canadian distributor and URAL international have stood by me and are supplying me with a new one which I should receive this week. I can't wait to ride it again. The other big news is that both my girlfriend and I have bought Royal Enfield Bullets. Mine is the olive drab military version and hers is light blue metallic. They are a hoot to drive and we expect to tour down to California and back next summer. Hopoe you are all doing well. Cheers,
Gary

Attached files

Hello Garry, good to hear from You, because I do not find you email adress you left me.
We made it safe down to Salem where we left Sophie Travelair at the lokal agency for to get a high volume oil pump, crate and ship.
Nearly 12.000km in 8 weeks. A distance I needed 2 years for with my Jolly Roger 2 (Jawa-Velorex, 350ccm)
The trip to LA we made in a rental car, I don't think the Ural would have been ready for the heat south of San Franzisco CA.

Your diferential / final drive surprises me that it lasted that long, well done.
Please tell me over the time how the Loyal Ladies behave. I am still interested in a pair of them. And who knows if I might become able to afford somewhen again a trip to the north.
This one left a huge hole in the bottom of my wallet.
My dream would be to head out with the whole family on bikes with style and camp gear.

Enjoy fall with your partner and keep the shiny side up.
Here in Costa Rica we are in the cats and dogs season and pray that no earthquake will provoke landslides, as the ground is soaked.
God bless You and may he guide you on his ways.
Psalm 17,5

Best wishes
Thomas and Sven

Attached files

Hey Friends today I got the notice that Sophie Travelair has left Salem on a truck towards LA Port...

Good news... You are a patient man, my friend.

Today came in a new foto from the friendly Sandlake Country Inn, Bed and Breakfast place in Oregon. We can definetely recommend it to stay at Diane and Ron's place. .
You will have the best breakfast within many miles and leave rolling happy as a kid. 😉 just as we did.
Karl Bärlin played an important rol on my 50th birthday on Saturday...as well as the fotos of my Death Valley accident exactly 25 years ago. 🙂 🙂 🙂 🙂 The music was made by hand
Jungs war das gemütlich.
Hamburg 75
Da haben wir die Musik noch mit der Hand gemacht...
"Lonzo" 😉

Attached files

The ship is about to arrive in Caldera harbour... I am translating the bills for our costums agent...I get geese skin and cribbling fingers as I only think about riding again.

imagine this was a shooting star in '77 home

You tube is good for a lot of nonsens so here something for NSA, Cia and friends, too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVIRQEQvj0U
:O
look out for big brother watching you.
:O

I finally found the best of all fast food restaurants.
Sophie Travelair is going to arrive this weekend in Caldera harbour.
Count down is runing to be on 3 wheels again.
Sven
🙂

Attached files

Today I checked back with my customs agent what the bike does...albeit they have announced the arrival of the ship several times in the last 2 weeks... it still didn't come in yet.
We have had now the first 2 really nice summer days (that's only a donkey happiness, because there is still missing a lot of horizontal rain before summer really starts) and my finger tips become nervous seeing the cloudless mountains in the early morning.
Sven

Good luck to ya Sven!! Perhaps today is the day...

Sankt Nikolaus Tag!
I got a huge present!
Short before lunch I got a call from the customs agent, "Sven, hurry up we have to check all the items in the box."
It took us 3 hours to get the bike out of the box, take photos, repack her and check item by item all those tiny bitty spares.
Best of all Sophie Travelair started on the spot inmediately, blubbered calm and came down the pallet and up again without choking.
What a nice present for Saint Claus day.
How long it will take to get the bike out of customs and the metal plate is a question on a totally different sheet of paper.
I hope You buddies get some fine surprise too.
Sven

Congratulations Sven!! Glad it finally arrived after all this time and you patiently waiting!! Perhaps the rains will stop and you can have some fine local rides to introduce Spphie Travelair to Costa Rica...

Mid September to end November we had really very few nice or acceptable days. In these last days finally the sun comes through and its splendid. The dogs make a party each time I get into the farm gate.
I guess that all 4 will try to jump into the sidecar all together once Sophie will get into the farm.
Only I hope to be able to reserve her for human passengers and get the Jaquarna runing for the dogs and mountain range trails.
Sven

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood" 😉

Hello Tom,
thanks for the tip.
http://media.nmfn.com/tnetwork/lifespan
so I am supposed to have a life expectance of 87 years.Question from the insurance, Am I financially prepared to live that long? ... might be.
A russian Condesa predicted once that I wouldn't even get to 30.
I stay with grandma's saying>
"It's not important how long you live, but how intensive..."
The officer at technical revision behaved like a gremlin, You cannot appear here without appointment. come back in 1 1/2 hours...had a nice trip up the 88 year old ox cart road to the atlantic. "The Palm pass" = original Braulio Carillo highway, I never came through so far with the Jawa due to the "pebbles".
The Ural with the original bank made kidney pie... until a slope I will not try to go down without a winch.
So we are one step closser to a number plate and the first mud can be inspected.
Nice golden hour right on top of the continental division.
It just took 1 1/4 hours because all inspectors wanted to have a look and couldn't believe Sophie Travelair would be only 6 month old. Although the plugs were black gases came out good.
So here we go for the lawyer tomorrow...
Sven 😉
32km through our back yard neighbourhood legally for to heat up the engine

Lol Sven!! I hope you get Sophie Travelaire legally on the road by then!!

21:00 our neighbour knoked and handed me over the numberplate... You bet I screwed it on and had a trip around the village with Thomas until midnight.

So here we come. Ahh, ....I had my last drop of 18 year old rum, "Flor de caña"
Sven

That's great news Sven!!! Finally, after all this time!!

Grrrrhhhh. Obvoiusly Murfey's law has to strike.
Yesterday night I made my round with Thomas and had my last drop of 18 year old rum, and today I cannot find the lawyers proof that the national property register is making the registration.....
Sven

PS. Numbers can be very suggestive. 386336= 1963 I was born. 36 was my age when the worst health trouble started after my wife's 3rd lost, and on my 38th birthday I felt like a new born again after 8 month illness. I know now what aches are and do not wish them to anybody.:O
So its never too late to have a happy childhood. 😉

Ah, my daughter approved the new bike."its totally different then the Jawa, Much more comfortable, not as noisy, and has a soft direction"
May she finally get on the taste?

Note: Something is strange. some days the photos will appear only as link and today again as photo. Somebody has an explanation for it?

Attached files

I'll post once more again, as there happened a small digital accident: Thank You Lee for advising.
Anyhow you know what computers and two stroker riders have in common?
full or nothing. 1 or 0
I had a Finish motocross buddy. Full throttle or idle, in between he couldn't handle his life. And knowing him he'll still be traveling arround the world for business or sit in a London pub.

Myself I am a proportional control spezi, so over square 4 stroke engines fit best to my piece of mind .(Just imagine a rig made out of a water cooled Norton Commando)
Dose just the barely necessary right from the botom. and travel smooth.

Today was the big day=I got the costarrican owners title....  finally...through with this long story to bring back our family weekend ride.... and blue sky after months of rain.

Today means yesterday Tuesday I got handed over in the morning the costarrican owners title of Sophie Travelair. a couple of typical errant rides to different offices later I have now the stickers for technical revision, paid road tax and liability insurance.(again somebody mixed up data and suddenly in the register my Ural was converted into a Freedom...and now again a single traction bike but 23kw and not 70 (imagine a Ural with 94hp...sounds like a dream,... Costarrican government makes it possible with a simple key strike))
5 Month and 1 week later after handing back The Ural Patrol to Racewayservices in Salem Oregon, I am finally free to ride without restriction.
Till now 400km in a week. Imagine she even takes the bad steep village roads
On Saturday my friend Fernando the Jawa importer came fully dressed into my shop to inspect Sophie and her spares and have a short test ride in the neighbourhood.
He judges: "What a stiff piece of heavy iron!"

"As usually" (Thomas would blame) we had to find out mistakes in spare supply. some of the carb jets fit neither set of carbs I own....so I am stuck with a way too open pilot jet that looks more like for a 2 stroker carb.

Monday downtown at the central Avenue, first street crossing as usually a Taxi driver blocked the crossing and I had to evade him. With the left back flasher signal I ripped off the plastic bumper off a Nissan XTrail (supposed to be 4x4). all damage I had. was that the flasher got twisted by a few degree. To my shame I have to admit that this is in 32 years the 3rd time I hit with a motorcycle another vehicle and the first time I damage the other car, All motorcycle accidents I had were alone or slipping (in contrast with cars i better do not count)

In the evening I fooled a bit tweeking the carbs and found that some when since the transport box unloading the left carb has got a damage. The choke lever is twisted and a plastic cap missing.

The colonial church with the separate bell tower is only half a mile away from the technical revision station. Such beautiful spots nowerdays became rare in central valley. Outside in the mountains you still find a lot of the OLD Costa Rica.
That is where I will head for soon.
Sometimes I will keep you in the cold north informed.
Best wishes from the finest part of our summer.
Sven

Attached files

Finally, finally, finally! After all the stress and aggravation. Congratulations on having her legally on the road!!!

Finally, finally, finally! After all the stress and aggravation. Congratulations on having her legally on the road!!!

PreviousPage 4 of 5Next