Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Thomas on his walk North

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next

writing posts on an ipod is just nasty, i mix up everything when there is a interruption or the batery goes flat

many things happened meanwhile:
today our oregon trip permit finishes at midnight, but in hazelton british columbia we got an extention.
our tripwent over chicken to the canadian border where we arrived three minutes before gate closing

a few minutes later we met our lucky angels David and Felixa from vancouver, who became our protectors for the next week and we met minimum a dozen times and each time they gave us great tips or had a cup of tee ready.
they presented us on the camping place to Garry a firefighter from ontario who just had a lot of technical troubles with his ural patrol, he had been stuck in dawson city for nearly a week.
on our way to whitehorse we found a badly hurt black bear cub who should have been sacrified inmediately. but what to do? without weapon, mother bear probably behind the bushes and you youself with you own cub. an indian lady later called the police when she got telephone signal again.
whitehorse: we met again the english globetrotters
made inspection at the motorcycle center and could not leave the town for two days
each time we intented to leave the engine starved.
we got transparent snow mobile gasoline hoses and clamps. still didn't work out / had to drain the tank for to open the gasoline valve. and now i finaly found the reason why the left cylinder always is hotter then the right one.
the gasoline valve's diaphragma is working like a minicarburator and so providing a continuous false air inlet that is not enough compensed by the gasoline jet.
as i pulled out the gasstation to try the repairs result Garry passed by whom we had left behind in dawsoncity two days before.
later our dear angels picked us up at a sole gas station
next day we met garry close to the continental division where he changed tires again. and again we left him allone. at the junction to the cassier highway he passed his bad luck over to us. as we passes us while we headed backward for the restaurant hundred m later the sidecar tire ran flat!!!!!
few minutes later our angels passed by for to say good by the last time
when we headed south on the cassier highway garry overtook us. the next two days we kept together untill vonderhoof and bad luck was gone.
since the our stops were lac le hache and merritt

n
ever seen a cat with different eyes? this friend says he is the motels owner and guest only task is to pet him

Attached files

Sven
Are you in Salem yet?

just arrived sunday 18th 23:00.
thomas comment: oh what boring toget home.
11450km later. i'm interested what Jim will tell us tomorrow.
funny coincidence exactly on the parking lot at craters lake's restaurant the odometer showed 11.111km
have a pint on it
sven

Attached files

work day at Racewayservices, Salem Oregon and lot of telling how the trip was.
we made a long list of things to recheck, fix and change.
the new designed swing seat is a simple screw on part, just one more hole.
so far it seems to make quite a difference on rough road.

the rear bumper and first aid box screw on without any tweeking needed.
the new headlight will have to show in the night if if is better in deed.
but after yesterdays long night ride after the ride arround crater lake we went from Roseburg to Salem on the I5 full throttle so i need some sleep

try and error = one of the best ways to get to decent results.
i just come back from a round arround Salem airport.
the new fancy looking headlight is a bad design ( dark and short low beam only a single spot on the high beam / due to its clear lens and parrabolic mirror it might be appropiate for fog, but to drive with a short dark low beam in rain? - for an aditional light on the sidecar it would be a good option) the original works way better as i prooved these weeks, so the fancy one will go back.
but as it draws more current and was getting darker at idle revs, it showed me that generation needs to be looked at.
todays BIG improovement is the new spring saddle ( i guess its called C7 # 11547/ i'll update later)
on a rough stone patio i could go right over the holes and piles and didn't recieve any hit into the spline. all it did, was shooting me up like on a trampoline and land further back on the saddle.
that will make up even for costarricans rough back roads and the bad regular roads when some goverment will betray its own people again.
this seat is not very big nor thought for a heavy or tall person but should work for me and others with weight from 75 to max 95 kg / 165 to 209 pound, way better then the original tractor seat with its rubber block and the torture frame hidden by thin rubber. pictures will follow. for the back seat we will have to fiddle a bit more though.

the rear bumper will help to have a grip in mud games wher to get a hold to or tie a rope to.
the polished finish of the first aid box should remind car drivers to swith down their surplus lights or high beam. that is the hope, only time will tell.

wrenching the whole day for get Sophie Travelair ready for export. Tomorrow will be the last road trip for to check out and compare the different carburator types

a new loop arround the block for to test the original carburators => mount Hood
very economical fuel consumption and does adapt some to elevation.
But: close to overheat the spark plugs and lack of power in mid and high rev range.

the forest fire close to The Dales is impresive and darkens the sun at noon.
highway 99E from Oregon City to Salem is more interesting then the map lets expect.

Attached files

Highway 99 is way above I-5 in regards to scenery and usually has better (smoother) pavement. All the way south.

Lonnie

Lo

we just escaped via 99E because I5 and 2..? were extremely full of cars and there we went sneeking of and had a calm drive south
today shop work and melancony that tomorrow is the last day with Sophie Travelair

hopefully al paperwork we did friday and saturday works out right as it should
how strange it feels to drive an automatic car after pushing Sophie Travelair for weeks.
saturday we went down the oregon coast crossed redwood forrest and enjoyed two days of twisties down "highway 1"
seems like "high" was the company that build this beauty of a road.
San Francisco we left as fast as we entered and now search for Sequoilla trees.
in one of the small oyster towns we met a triumpf with a watsoniansidecar and had a nice talk with its owner Terry.
on this windy hwy 1 i definetely would have loved to ride with the rig. it qas great fun until entering SF. where driving fun disappeared instantly until we left Fresno uphill

we got up to the park entrance above squaw valley were an irish fellow arrived on a rental harley
750 miles in one day left marks in his face.

Attached files

sequoilla national park: a last escape from routine and job
tomorrow evening we will leave usa for costa rica
two month are gone in which we spent a fortune for us, regrets not now, perhaps later.
most important is: we have fulfilled a dream.
dreams are for to make them real.
now i just hope Thomas will make up his mind and decide for a profession that will be the best for him and his talents.
let's give time to time and history will tell somewhen if we did the right thing.

Attached files

Peter Pan - 8/28/2013 12:09 AM
...two month are gone in which we spent a fortune for us, regrets not now, perhaps later....

Nah. No regrets. Just memories. Edit: And maybe a thin wallet. Embarassed

most important is: we have fulfilled a dream. dreams are for to make them real....

+1 We all too often have a life filled with "One of these days I'm gonna do ....."

now i just hope Thomas will make up his mind and decide for a profession that will be the best for him and his talents.

Wishing Thomas wisdom as he sets forth on his own journey.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

thanks a lot Lee,
and here we go for to rush south a last day in a country that appears to have has suffered a tremendous inflation the last 25 years.
same as in Germany and Costa Rica.
in a first look at it: some people were blaming prices in Alaska and Canada, i'd say California is the most expensive relating price and what you get for it against cost.
today for today, i do not know what expects me home, but i would love to repeat the trip with more time and less hurry.
and yes no regrets, you live only once, here we are expecting the surprises this new day will bring.
Thomas and Sven

Precious memories for you and Thomas. It will be interesting as the years go by how you each recall this journey from your own perspectives as you compare notes and relive the memories. So many times I've thought as I read your posts, "If this was on Facebook, I'd click 'like'." Good luck to you both as you resume your "normal" life in Costa Rica!!

Sven and Thomas,

Is was very, very nice to have met you in Salem, to have shared lunch with you, to have met you with my two grandsons over breakfast then the day riding in the Capital Forest. My grandsons ask how you two are progressing on your trip. They have kept track on a map on their wall of your journey.

I believe you will, during many, many times, catch yourselves saying "remember . . . . . on our trip to North America". That will bring smiles for a lifetime.

Thomas, it is my wish that you will realise every dream and passion you may ever have. Who knows? Maybe one day you will build another Spruce Goose! May you always have fond memories of your trip with your father, always remember both the good and not-so-good events you witnessed on your trip, and that you will be able to one day do the same with your son.

Sven, you have given Thomas memories that he will never forget. The bonus is that you also have those memories to cherish. Thank you for the cigars!

As you reach home and are welcomed by your family I wish you and yours the very, very best future. I will let you know well in advance when I will be heading to Costa Rica, so we can share a meal once again.

Be safe,
Keith

Hello Tom, with that heat there was no way to convince us to go further east we stayed until San Francisco right on the Coast.
Mickey and Keith it was good to hear your voice on the phone once again, and specially You Keith that you passed well through the operation and the wound is healing good.
Just as we arrived home yesterday morning today we had to travel again 5-6 hours for to acompany one of our best friends whos father died on the day we came back.
Now we start to clean up and get our stuff into order. I am interested how long it will take me to make a resumee of this hole journey.
My wife fell asleep as we tried to only show her the photos in the ipod.
So in the next weeks we will put something more on this channel.
Your Thomas and Sven Peter with quite a bit of headake since L.A.

Attached files

Who could help me by telling, how to post here a small video?

We are home now for one week and still have not even a moment time to sit down and write a resumee of this trip.
Yesterday i spent several hours just with putting the bills in cronologic order. The soccer game USA vs Costa Rica I didn't need to watch. All the neighbours were exited enough to keep me informed by their screams from the real begining on. 3:1 what a good pay back for the snow battle a few month ago.

Now I have a new concern. Third day of driving lessons with my daughter in my old shop van that needs double clutch and intermediate gas due to its worn sincronisation discs.
As the Willies is still out of service at least she will have a little stylish driving experience. (i remember well our old MAN and Magirus army trucks with a 1/4 turn stearing lash and vertical H shifts)
---
Someone can tell me how to post a small ipod video of Oregons "Talking Sand"
Sven

Attached files

Peter Pan - 9/7/2013 10:01 PM
... Third day of driving lessons with my daughter in my old shop van that needs double clutch and intermediate gas due to its worn sincronisation discs. As the Willies is still out of service at least she will have a little stylish driving experience. (i remember well our old MAN and Magirus army trucks with a 1/4 turn stearing lash and vertical H shifts)
Someone can tell me how to post a small ipod video of Oregons "Talking Sand"....

Sven, I'm not aware of a method to post/attach a video on our forum. Unfortunately, a video will likely have to be posted on a separate host site, such as vimeo or youtube, and referenced here.

Although I learned to drive on the farm at an early age, I recall my official drivers education in high school 30+ years ago in the brand-new good-driving Chevy sedan. All was good until I put the first time I drove the old Dodge 3/4 ton straight-axle no-power-steering farm truck complete with worn bushings & 1/4 turn steering lash on the highway at 60mph. That was an  experience.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Yupp,... I imagine that one. (wide open eyes) Had it 25 years ago the day before I gave my nowerdays best wife on the world her first kiss.
Tried to bring the wreck back to the agency on its own wheels, better said, that was left over from my rental car after going 6m down a cliff .
I had to quit the intent and the mechanics jeep had about 1/3 steering lash. Without the military truck experience I would have wrecked that one too.
Eye opening experiences, that have SOME influence on your further life... 😮

PreviousPage 3 of 5Next