Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Thomas on his walk North

Page 1 of 5Next
Thomas and Sven Peter Pan are on the way North.
Thomas became 18 years 2 weeks ago, so accourding to the Aussies it time to get him out of the house and make his"walk" into manhood.

Tuesday 25.06.2013 at 3 pm came in the email that or Ural Patrol arrived in the shop at Racewayservices in Salem, Oregon 6000km further north from our home in Costa Rica. The same afternoon we got the flight ticket and left the early morning after tremendous 3 hours of sleep. It took a full day to get to Salem. Today we defined with Don Jim Petiti all the detailes for to equip her so in Costa Rica she will survive the tropical high montain range. Tomorror will be the paper work day, and then the adventure will start. Here we go!!
Thomas and Sven

Sounds great, have a great trip, hope the Ural works out great for you two, we will be in the Black Hills of South Dakota for the next couple of weeks, if you come that way send us a message would love to meet you somewhere.

tomorrow will be the 3rd day in salem oregon. the motorcycle is preety much ready, at least for the first run in turn. the team jim petiti formed over the years is very impressing and efective. every bike comes out as a unique individual part at impresively high speed, and still every single question will be answered with profound back ground knowledge. at every monent i get reminded to my dear first boss, helmut paetzel the honda representative in my home town ratzeburg. there should be more people like the crew around don jim. i wish them that the story will continue with such a good attitude like i witness in these days.
thomas makes his progress in opening his ears to the english language and i like to see that his mind gets opened to the totally new impressions.
i am sure that the decision to take him out of the country into a new surrounding is the right decision.
a young man aught to make his walk.
here we go.
thomas and sven

we had bad luck with the insurance company that did not attend our solicitude, so we got a rental car for the weekend. i enjoyed how jim petiti gave thomas the "speech" as seen in "second hand lion". someone as father never will be put attention to, but someone who made quite a few real challanges against wind and wheater thomas listened to like a dry sponge. jim is a real example of attitude.

after office hours we left for mcminnville aircraft and aerospace museeum over small roads via independence. not for nothing people were honking at us, because i can not get accustoumed to an automatic pickup of half the size the unimog i drove once upon the time in my national service. this tank pulls ahead of its own and you glase the break pads the hole time. it was the smallest thing the rental had available. (at least that was the story that was told to all customers short before office closure)
the museeum is worth to take the hole weekend for. you should have seen thomas eyes when he touched the wing of the p51 mustang. for sure his grandfather walther's soul is with us here.

the dinner in a 4 1/2 story (for here) ancient hotel and restaurant with life music was great and well atended by a joking waitress, who definetely earns her tips with her charm.
let's be frank, she isn't what i'd call an eye catcher, but ... she catches attention by her inner values and confirms Killi's moto.

my forster sister Kirsten (aunt Killi) uses to say: "the beauty comes from inside"
in our youth she earned way more in tips then wage,(which Killi shared with the ones in the kitchen) while i melted away dishwashing.
nowerdays, a illness later and deformed due to cortisone, Killi is the administrative "heart" of a clinic.
filling with truth her own saying plus an old one too.
"Beruf kommt vom Berufung!"
"the profesional call comes from the devine call."
"profession comes from vocation!"

thomas and sven

Attached files

If you're still in the Salem area, there is a very fine truck museum right close by. I don't recall just how to get there but Jim and crew can tell you. Some years ago they told me of it and I was quite pleased to check it out.

in the early morning i met three deer in the hotel's neighbourhood croosing the gardens, what a nice begining for the day.
a hole day in the museum was interesting.
there was a lot of stuff that reminded me to my father and my own past. what made me shiver a lot were the weapons of which many had definetely shed blood. myself i was fascinated as kid by weapons and fighters. not any more since i have seen their efects and lost a neffew because of a "play accident". after i left the bundeswehr i have avoided to even get into physical contact with weapons. perhaps that are the reasons for my mixed feelings this day. there is no ethics in war only pain and unjustice on and for all sides. my generation got taught from the ww2 survivers:
"no more"
and what is happening ??
sorry i can not share weapon fascination any more and only wish peace.

photos:
mashine gun 08/15 the german sinonym for standardized mediocracy was the result of the first DIN industrial norms . all history of industrial norms got originated by the death of 50.000 germans, 30.000 british, 15.000 belgiums. they had amo, but the wrong ones in 1914-15. (the real numbers might be something different, but were really horrible)

with such kind of colt at the age of 12-14 my dad showed me the difference between tempered steel with and without stress releaving.
my only tempered percutor cock broke after 4 shots on the test stand his, which was more accurate, tempered and stress relieved, is still suposed to be there. that made me learn the lesson: "the difference between a good and a bad part is just a hair!"

read the two texts and you might get into thinking as i did.

huge Howard Hughes's H4 left a great impresion in our young fellow Thomas, quite obvious isn't it?

Attached files

today was the big day.
buy raingear, helmets, get insurance proof, dmv and the first rounds. many thanks to Jim Petiti and most of all to some private sentimental presents that put Thomas and me into deep debth with him. i hope we can compensate somewhen somehow for them.
the test rounds on the parking lot were a bit harsh and didn't find Karen's approoval, but they helped me to get a feeling about the behaviour and limits of the ural.
for me who only pushed ultra light weight rigs until now first it felt hard to get into the 3rd dimention, but once above skidding speed you better watch out.
right turns the spokes suffer the weight, left turn (worse), the s/c nose is so tall that the bumper will not prevent you from fliping over. due to the front swing the forces on the handle bar are very confortable. the hand position in spite i first felt it a little forced to the outside turned out to be confortabe and shoulder/back relieving.

in the night when the temperatures finally dropped we made a short trip to Independance, definetely the engine prefers colder surroundings. it will take some modifications to the engine for to make tropical climate bearable.

Attached files

in the morning we passed by raceway for final talk and print out a corrected insurance card.
our route was a simple tour arround the block salem independence monmouth pedee philomath back to blodget toledo newport linkoln city grande ronde were we staid for the night.

a couple of tips for the next ones to do the run in turn for not to convert it into break down turn:
search for fresh temperatures the engine doesn't like the heat at all.
ask for the main wind direction at the coast and get the wind from the back.
the passenger has more fun at the coast from north to south as he gets a beautiful sight seeing tour.

do not let transit hurry you and get off the main road.
think of the ural as an oldtimer that needs free spining revs but is a very tough shifter, so think ahead and shift when you are still at the right speed.
don't trust the clutch and gear mash, there is no sincronisation, remember when gears were direct.
you need to learn to listen to the right engine revs and help with fine motion coordidation between revs, clutch, gashand to ease out the presure on the engaged gears and a well timed smouth heel kick. don't use the toes for up shifting, they aren't strong enough and get the claws jumping! =inter gear neutral = suffering gear box.
YOU BETTER A ADAPT TO THE MOTORCYCLE then the motorcycle to you.
she is stuburn as .... what ever you may compare with.

heat is the other issue:
what ever is not perfectly mashined and mashed up will expand rub, press, shave,....and finally destroy.
so in our case we experienced on longer stretches that we even needed a good amount of gas for down hill or noted a change in engine sound =>
=> stop now, don't let transit obligate you to continue and take a new break!!!!

speed at heat: no thanks, get off the bussy roads and onto shady neighbourhood roads.
breakfast time i'll continue later
sven

Attached files

one more on shifting:
gears are direct straight claw couplings constantly engaged pinions.
first and second go together on one shifter fork/pinion pair and third and forth on the other set.
the gear change within the same set is easy up an down. the shift up from second to third works fine as long you stay in the low to medium rev range.
to change down from third to second gear will be something new to youngsters.
and makes more then one remind his military time.
third throttle off
pull clutch
shift half way into neutral
ease out clutch
little gas in medium
pull clutch
shift into second

double clutch and intermedium gas, just as you have to do it with your old Willies Jeep.

find neutral is an other story of its own.
Robert at racewayservices gave me the tip to use the reverse lever with the heal.
well, often there is still too much pressure on the gear teeth and claws.
so move a little forward and backward the rig pushing with the left foot.

or use at the same time the left toe lifting the front pad oft the shifter and the right heal for to push out backwards the forward lever without hitting into reverse. you notice that you reached neutral when counter force on toe and heal disappear.
as long as the clutch disengages well this method works.

Attached files

Peter Pan - 7/7/2013 11:29 AM
... to change down from third to second gear will be something new to youngsters.... double clutch ... just as you have to do it with your old Willies Jeep....

Ah, good you have experience with your old Willys Jeep Smile

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Hello Lee,
first i did mistake you with Lee the accidented knucklehead driver (burnt igntion coil) we just gave a lift to Knappa near Astoria Oregon.
definetely the magirus with vertical H shifts, the deutz tractors, the MAN and the 1960 Willies taught me somthing. plus my former 9 bikes a and my first boss Helmut Paetzel how to listen to an engines talk. but i would have expected these additional points which i had to figure out myself that they would have been explained by the distributer's mechanic Robert. That is my reason why i explain it here, so others do not commit the same mistake.

speed: 25-45mph 40-75kmh mostly 2nd and 3rd gear 4th gear only above 45 mph when it goes downhill.
stay in the shadow forest roads.

meanwhile i feel pretty confortable with the engine. as long the wheather stays cool, non ethanol gasoline appears and there are secondary roads available.
when you aught to get on even single line highway like oregon 26, i get stressed, and certainly everybody else too.

Attached files

trim.mjIYI7.MOV (7.5 MB) 

Hey, Peter Pan, Thomas, think you have a whole new adventure going here. I'm thinking that Ural rigs are a different breed altogether, and you are right, you have to adapt to them, and not them to you. Good luck in your adventures.

we have a great time in still Oregon. only3 things can drive me nuts here
search for non ethanol gas (as soon the 10%ethanol gets into the carb engine runs rough)
search for secondary roads that are not on the map and still lead you somewhere for not to be the chassen rabitt
search a night stay with decent breakfast=> today we better get a tent and sleeping bags. we have to buy it because all got left home for weight reasons now i regret it. in costa rica camping became unsafe here it seems the alternative if you are a person who likes a good breakfast.
as more expensive the hotel as worse the treatment and breakfast.
totaly the oposite in germany where a continental breakfast may even include smoked fish of the finest.
in costa rica the more expensive hotels will give you smaller portions, but still tasty( normally)
and for cabins you do not have to travel 50 miles.

bed & breakfast is here in oregon rare while you find it in germany in every small village.
other countries other costums, so let's hit the road to explore!

ps: something fascinating! Nature! to find salamander in costa rica is dificult and you have to go high into the montains. in germany only in the south and maximum i ever met there were three in one morning.
at this spot i counted 7 visible right in front.

Attached files

Sven, when you get close to Reardan, don't worry about low fuel in your tank. We have non-ethanol gas available. And you have a place to stay when you get here as well.

Astoria 6,1 km bridge we passed twice just for to get some fuel in washington. insane
made it down the coast until sandlake.
good night friends

Attached files

batery low all coment is gone....so here in teñegraf style:
dream of mast and sail while wind pushes us down coast line
hill repeated for temp test: power arc on/ left pos cylinder stay cooler 15k = 27F
b&b in sandlake south of Tullamook excellent = special tip for just married couples
sea lions cave a new experience seeing them life and smelling them.
south jetty to late for watching sand padle boogies

Attached files

we stayed in reedsport oregon for the night
next morning we continued down the coast until port orford where we wanted to cross through forrest roads to winston. but even gps can not protect you from forest administrators to whipe out roads from existence and maps. so after 3 hours we came out in sixes just 2 miles north of where we entered into the mountains... but what does this matter or the broken sunglasses we enjoyed great landskapes and views.
the road constructors must have been in love with dinamite for to blow out this trace. i prefered no to look down. the stones were barely staying in site at perhaps 85degree.

we had to return direction to salem, from coquille to myrtle point thomas led me intensionally down fishtrap road for to avoid high way 42. bingo great fun.
at a&w "all american food" i could not keep back to drop a buck into the first duke box i have seen in over 20 years.
"you guys are not from around here?" that no was for sure.

in the dark the rig flew up the 42 without any delay to winston, where we passed the night.
today we continued over side roads and a ferry close to suver to salem.
in kings valley thomas got to know the truth of the saying:"there is no free lunch"
we earned our lunch by repairing the ac and arrived due to the delay late at Racewayservices.
At motorcycle gear in salem we got some stuff i had encharged and thomas a better helmet with other troubles of its own.
here we go for our 2500km inspection.
thomas and sven

Attached files

Looks like you are enjoying the trip. Keep words, pictures coming.

today was 2500 km inspection and upgrade time at Racewayservices in Salem.
with such a friendly crew and good treatment it is good to come back.
Robert made a great job and was fast while i just was slowly learning how to adjust the lenght and position of the splines of the cardan shafts.

the breather bowl did show an impressing effect after 600 km. 40ccm of water and 20ccm of undefinable stuff that smells like exhaust and appearantly isn't containing oil at all. feels more like a solvent perhaps unburnt gasoline that passed between piston and cylinder. other bikes in the shop showed a lot of oil in the air filter box from the breather tube.

the old story i blamed 30 years ago continues actual, a new bike has not any lubrication on screws and parts when it comes from the factory. while the rear break cam was greased with a lithium grease that will melt in an eye blink.

as in costa rica water is omnipresent every single screw in the future will have to be removed somewhen and recieve assembly paste, grease or locktite 242.depending on its function.
the oils looked good. just as the engine feels as it did not ease up more since the oil change at 500km i insisted in using plain mineral oil, which i use in my KLM.
when finally the motorcycle runs like it should do i might try synthetic oil again. until then i'll stick with the known stuff.
not all desired parts had arrived, but the changes are visible:
rev meter, temp gauge, long life batery, prototype clutch lever out of casted stainless that should withstand abuse. as the first one was bending badly and the former style started to ceed too, i am looking forward how this new part will last. its supposed to have a hardness of 48 rockwell c. that should take for wear on the lever nose and form stability on the lever. the speedometer cable is well cleared.
the wax form for the casted part was made in a 3D printer. neat appearance. i first thought it would have been made with a water jet cutter.
stuff we were dreaming of as students now has become reality in real life.
definety Jim's succesor Frank has good contacts and will continue his work in a good manner.
who will benefit are the future owners of coming generations of Urals.
if i can be of any help i will give my grain.

ps: the rig got its first scratch, The trunk lever flipped back and bent the key,and crack. so may i suggest never to leave the keys stuck in the trunk lock.

good to finally meet you. I enjoyed riding with you.

Page 1 of 5Next