Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

The wife is entering the world of sidecars

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey folks I just bought a California Friendship ii sidecar for the wifes Ultra Classic. I hope to have it mounted and her comfortable driving in time for the national rally .

Previous owner took the old windshield off and put this cut down version on it. It'll do for now but I was looking to see what goes in all the holes around the body behind the sest , are they just the snaps screwed in for the top?. I definitely won't have time to paint it to match her bike by July but as long as it's functioning that's what matters.
Thanks in advance for any help or pictures of yours.

Attached files

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Cool deal
so has your wife piloted your rig or will this be all new training

USCA # 8913

I will be looking for you and the Mrs. at the Rally in Corning.

She has rode mine before in a parking lot. But I have a Sportster with a little velorex that comes up easy even though I have over a hundred pounds of counterweight in it. I have never put raked trees on mine because it doesn't bother me so she wasn't real keen on the ride. I did tell her though that with her bike with raked trees and the larger side car it'll be so much easier to drive than mine

Doug "Rain Man" Plotner 2nd Thief M/M chapter coordinator Eastern Panhandle WV USCA #8789 01 883C Sportster /Velorex combo 95 Ultra Classic Electra Glide /California Friendship combo Iron Butt Association member

Good looking EVO bagger.

95 Ultra Classic Electra glide (30th anniversary Electra glide) only injected Harley that year. Number 515 of 1500

We wish her well. My wife just finished the MSF basic course, and got her endorsement today. She has been practicing with our newly-finished rig in a parking lot over the last 3 weekends. The dog is, as yet, undecided about this new development....

OK folks nows where I need pictures or ides. Getting ready to go to my metal fabricator friends shop to make the mounts. I was at the Operation God Bless america ride this past Sunday and found a 95 Harley with a Friendship iii sidecar a took a lot of pictures and found a newer Road King with what looked to me like a Liberty sidecar but I'm not positive. the rear upper and lower mounts were very similar on both rigs and the one guy said he ordered the mount kit from California years ago. Any on have any Ideas of Pictures please pass them on.

OH and I started to disassemble and found about 8 layers of paint on this thing.

some pictures of the wifes sidecar project. hope to be done to bring to the Rally

Attached files

more pictures
mockup of the new lights'
new seat vinyl insert , will have black border
found the original 2 tone paint lines was blue metallic with silver insert

Attached files

Thanks for posting pics of your project. She's coming along nicely.

Are those trailer lights?

Will get little Allen more companionship? More grandchildren on the way, so the boss is taking action?
Sven

Sal, I assumed they are trailer lights they have a rubber grommet they're LED .
Sven, no more grandkids in the foreseeable future. This rig will be if we all want to go together on one bike

Even more good reasons for to give the boy a great family life.
Myself I better stay quiet. Sooner or later they will come. Meanwhile it is easier to give a ride to the huge crowd of kids in the rest of the family. (My mother in law was able to gather 5 generations of girls of her own bread onto one photo)
Enjoy every moment and day. it is a gift.
Sven

A few pictures of the completed rig and some rides
1 First grocery run . minuscule as it is.
2 Week after completion , first bike show.
3 & 4 New dark smoke lexan windshield made by me.
5 Local gas station mirror window selfie.
6 Aiden has now color matched his bike to the wifes , seat and wheels as well.
7 Wifes first ride learning the ways of the sidecar.
8 Aiden and mines special trip to TN. Yall may read about it in an upcoming Sidecarist magazine.

Attached files

Wow that looks great. very nice color match. Did you do the paint work as well

USCA # 8913

I did the grunt work and tape layout. I actually could see the original tape out when I removed all the paint and used that design mostly. I work in the auto glass industry and have many friends in other auto related businesses that I generally barter the labor portion . I have only paid for most of the materials on this build . I salvaged steel and did the cut grind and drill work and had the welding done by a pro. The seat was left over material from other jobs that a long time friend and upholstery shop owner did for me . The paint was done a paint and powdercoat shop near my shop they did the pro work I did the manual labor.

Cool, either way it looks great.

USCA # 8913

Congratulations Dough,
nice colors for the rig.
Allen shrinked? You see in deed quite some difference in boat size.
Next project in spee.
QA1 needs a sidecar tooooo.

Last year I saw one of these tiny kid bikes with enduro sidecar...Two small girls 4-5 years were the whole day BUSY riding on a oldtimer spare part market. Not until the sale booth were drawn down the two traded some parts of their own.
Best regards and good luck on all her ways to your wife with the new rig.
Sven

Page 1 of 2Next