Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

The transformation begins

Page 1 of 2Next

Well the time has finally come. I have bought all the parts I need to convert my Motorvation II into what I'm going to call Motorvation II SE
I'll start by saying right up front I am not a body or paint man but have done my share over the years so I can only hope this turns out as nice as it looks in my mind 🙂

The plan is to take the parts I bought, saddle bags and lights, front lower radiator chin, rear trunk spoiler and modify them onto the sidecar
I'm also going to make the fender well flare out just a tad, this will be for effect as well as to repair the boo boo it got from making contact with another rig at the Monumental Rally 😮

this will be a slow process but I will try to document it with pictures and details about the changes

USCA # 8913

first pic is the way it looked when I bought it, well after I stripped and sanded it
next is after I painted it , then after I mounted it to the bike.
I was only slightly happy with the paint job as my 2 tone section didn't come out right so I knew I was going to repaint it

Attached files

USCA # 8913

Nice!

Thanks

OK so today I took step 1
I cut down the rear spoiler to fit the back of the car and threw some paint at it and a little reflective tape to give perspective of where the light will be. I can see now that it has been test fit
that I will need to grind down the back part of the base to get the overall angle correct. the sidecar body slopes down so it makes the spoiler point up too much
but all in all I think this will work out good

Attached files

USCA # 8913

I did a little more work on my project this weekend, I'm working on the nose spoiler. I had to cut it into 3 sections because in it's original size it is too wide and too tall to fit the nose of the sidecar
so after some careful cutting, grinding and forming using a heat gun I managed to get it into shape to fit the car. I am using acetone and MEK to bond the pieces back together then countersinking rivets
here are a couple pics of it, first in when it's in 3 pieces, 2nd is after it's bonded and formed to size. I still have to fill in the seams and do a test fit, I should be able to do the some time today

Attached files

USCA # 8913

Interesting.. looking forward to seeing your progress.

OK I got the chin spoiler test fit, I got it on a little off center and maybe a touch crooked, I stepped back and the first thing that came to mind was the ARS Champagne Jam album cover

Attached files

USCA # 8913

I think I'm going to try to add a side skirt down the right side to get the spoiler to blend in better. maybe go back with a solid white on the repaint, I think the 2 tone is throwing the look off. makes the alignment look out of place.

any thoughts or comments are welcome

USCA # 8913

well I just couldn't get over the spoiler looking too big, so I took it back off and cut it down some more. I think this will work so for now I'm going to leave it alone and move on the the next part

Attached files

USCA # 8913

I have been working on the rear of the car a little. I removed the er/ light bar and the mud flap I had made so I could start the sizing/fitting of the new parts
I took a good set of used saddle bags and started cutting them up until I had the parts I needed to start the build with. I also cut and ground the taillights so they would fit against the back of the car properly
the first picture is the car once everything was removed, 2nd is right after I started cutting up the bags, 3rd is the pieces I'm now working with to create the new look

Attached files

USCA # 8913

well a couple more little cuts and I made the first test fit of all the parts, so now I will get all the parts bonded together and into one piece. then I have to close in the taillights to fit the new design
I have to say I'm pretty pleased with the results so far

Attached files

USCA # 8913

looking good

OK I have been working on the rear er/ lights pretty much every day, I just get to work on it a little in the mornings before work and a little at lunch time, and sometimes a little in the afternoon. I have the er part finished other than doing the wet sand for the first coat of primer. I made the brackets and got them bolted on the the car today. I have the outer tail light housings mounted on the er and I'm working on the center section now. I haven't taken any pictures of the process
it's been slow, little cut go test fit, little more cut go test fit. so far I have only had one, that's right 1 oh crap start over issue.
I found the rear panel of the sidecar is bowed inward in the middle, I have never noticed it until today when I bolted the er on the brackets for the first time and was trying to figure out why I had such a gap right in the middle of the center light bar I stepped to one side the sure enough it was the sidecar body bowed inward. so for now I'm going to make the light meet the body rather than take the time to correct the body panel. that would take a lot more glass work than I care to do right now
anyway I will try to get a few pictures later so I can post where I am now with this project

USCA # 8913

Very nice. Great to have the bodywork skills you do.

OK I don't know why but I have tried to edit my post 3 times and it keeps removing part of the word b.u.m.per and I don't know why, even in this post it won't leave it

USCA # 8913

"Bvmp" is a toxic word on many bulletin boards, er, I mean on-line forums (guess that shows my age!) It's often used to bring a thread back to the top of a list without adding any pesky "new and relevant information"

By the way, your work is excellent!

hmm never thought of that, strange it would pull part of a word out of a different word

By the way, your work is excellent!

Thanks, I don't know about excellent though. fair to decent maybe

USCA # 8913

so here are a couple pictures, I shot a little primer on it and bolted it to the car. I still have to work on the center light bar a little and make a few minor adjustment here and there but it is getting close

Attached files

USCA # 8913

I have been struggling with getting lights that will work because it is such a narrow area to work with now that I had to cut the backs of the lights down to get them to fit up to the back of the car. they make a triangle shape now that goes from the lens edge down and only goes out about 2.5 inch out at the bottom. this meant I had to remove the entire refractor area of the light assy. and now even a 1156 bulb won't fit inside the area I have to work with. Now I knew this going in so I knew I would have to go LED and most likely LED strip. the problem was getting the right brightness and having different brightness for the brake and turn lights. Well today I finally found my answer. I found a small 3 bulb LED that has 2 brightness ability using 2 sep wires, so I am installing 3 in each taillight and I took the refractors and using the heat gun flattened them out then molded them in to fit the new lens design. it doesn't look factory because it doesn't reflect as even as it did but it works great. I'll get some pictures to show what I was up against and the little lights I found

USCA # 8913

here are a few pictures, showing the taillight housings and after I cut them down to fit, then the rear part of the refractor lens I had to mold to the taillight. the lights are just sitting in there loose but you get the idea of how it's going to work

Attached files

USCA # 8913
Page 1 of 2Next