Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

The Sidecar Experience

A little late posting but I've been working on the house...

Last weekend went to the Memorial Day Motorcycle Blowout in Gulfport, MS. Local TV news claimed there were over 10,000 bikes there and I believe it. Most of them were Harleys. It is held at a drag strip and they were having some serious competition. I was riding the Royal Enfield G5 with Kozi Rocket sidecar. It was a real crowd pleaser. Everyone seemed to like the bike and I must have told the Enfield story a hundred times. Got there late on Saturday and could not enter the competition for best of class. It would have been an easy win. I wondered all over the place numerous times and only saw one other sidecar rig. It was an older Harley with a homemade car. Looked like a rat rod. Had "Bandito" gang markings all over it. Never did locate the rider.

This may not be the venue most of us would hang out at with the heavy drinking, bikini and wet t-shirt contests, etc. But it was a great opportunity to promote sidecars. Talked to several riders who expressed a serious interest in getting into sidecars. Handed out several tri-folds and who knows, just might get a response. Didn't even drink one beer and even had the bike blessed by the vice president of the local chapter of the Christian Motorcycle Association. Very interesting experience over all.

By the way, I rode/drove the rig from my home, about a 90 mile trip with the dog "Kozi" in the car. They would not let her in the show though. That dog is getting to be a real sidecar hound. Before leaving the house, took the bike out to wash it and she leaped into the car. Wants to ride every time I get the rig out. Also gave my daughter (aged 13) her first driving lesson on a rig. Did pretty good. Next time we will try shifting gears.

Attached files

Probably a very good rig to teach her with.

i just love standing out from the crowd .

That's a fine looking rig and also a fine looking rider in the sidecar!

Hi; Along with 20 or so medallions for the national,there is one for the best dog. I don't know who Will has picked to be judge. I suggested local DIGNATRES to judge bike show,dog show etc. Gives them something to do and makes them feel important. Kozi can definately enter. Always looking for 1st. timers to play in the games.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. rep

I love sidecar games at rallies. One of my favorites was at a uralfest in 2002. It was a drive by shooting course. The rig was piloted over a marked course past 8 targets which were shot at by the sidecar passenger
as the rig went by. The course was timed by a stop watch and 5 seconds deducted for each target hit. Shooting was done with a paintball gun and low score wins. You were given one ball for each target. It was a hoot.

J.R.

Are you referring to the USCA national rally? Afraid I am not able to make the trip to Sturgis. Went to the rally in SC last year and really enjoyed it. I did not realize they had a category for "best dog". But then, last year we did not have Kozi. Have to find out more about all this.

Mike

We Didn't have a dog show last year. Just thought it would fun and give one of the local dignaties a job to keep them busy The mayor,sec. etc should be able to handle a dog show. Haven't really touched base with rally master. Just a suggeston.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex.rep

We will have several dogs at the rally. When people pre-registered they often put their dog down as a passenger. I haven't thought out how the dog show would be judged. Any Suggestions. Do we need to talk to the Mayor of Sturgis about judging the dogs.