Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

The LBS Overland

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

Very nice, MG.  Good to see you and the rig out and about. Thanks for the report and the photos.

This flatlander from Louisiana sure enjoys reports from the mountains.  Standing by for more...........

CCjon and sheath have reacted to this post.
CCjonsheath
Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Here's one more, Looking south from Mt. Kobau to Osoyoos Lake. Back in the 60s or early 70s the Canadian government was funding an Observatory at the top of Kobau. They built a road up the mountain so that the big mirror could be delivered. Something changed and all that got built was the road. Getting a tad rough but still a good ride to get up to some good views. 

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon, FlyinMonkeys and sheath have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeyssheath

Lots of short trips this year, 

Here is exploring close to home

Uploaded files:
CCjon, FlyinMonkeys and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeysBen FranklinsheathDave Brakebill

If you look at the clearing across the lake you can see my Dad's old farm. His father had homesteaded further up the lake in the late teens. Dad was 3. He never made a go of it. They moved back in the late 20s and were able to get a foot hold here. Boat access only in those days. They sold out and moved to Canoe  in the late 40s, maybe early 50s when Dad was courting my Mom. I came later. History on the lake. 

Uploaded files:
SwampFox, CCjon and 3 other users have reacted to this post.
SwampFoxCCjonFlyinMonkeyssheathDave Brakebill

Last real camp out of the year. Our local riding club hosts a Last Chance Camp out South of the border in the State park in the Village of Oroville WA. We have a few U.S. members and this give every one a chance to get together. It had been a few years due to other "things" so it was really nice to catch up with some people we haven't in a while.

After winding my way South through the Okanagan Valley avoiding all the bigger towns and crossing over the border, Basically a Welcome to the U.S. spend money please. I arrived to find most of the regulars already set up.

Uploaded files:
CCjon, Thane Lewis and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonThane LewisFlyinMonkeyssheath

Several Sidecarists were in attendance 

Bill and his well farckled Ural

Uploaded files:
CCjonFlyinMonkeyssheath

Bruce from Southern WA.  can't remember where exactly. A nice DMC rig. He went out with a group exploring on Saturday. Bruce handled the bit of Gravel nicely with only a few bits falling off the rig . 🙂

Uploaded files:
CCjonFlyinMonkeyssheath

Lee's nice DMC/GSA rig. He has it nicely sorted except that it needs a LBS leading link. 🙂 Nice to visit with Him and his Wife.  I stayed with Lee after picking up the LBS rig from Mike

James Bay road Eh?   Hmmm putting thoughts in my head

Uploaded files:
CCjonFlyinMonkeyssheath

Saturday, Chris and I went exploring. Chris is very well traveled and is always up for an Adventure. He had plotted several routes to and from Winthrop via the back roads. Of course Garmin got us lost right away as he had just routed and his GPS kept trying to take us to pavement. Anyways we had a nice Lunch in Conculnally and got directions that put us back on track. Only a 50 mile detour. 

Uploaded files:
CCjonFlyinMonkeyssheath

Once headed the right way, I started to recognize some of the spots. I had been this way before on two wheels, several camp outs before. I stopped at this spot to get a couple of pictures. Basically the pass at the top. Chris of course, use to Mostly Solo travel kept motoring along and only stopped to wait for me when we lost comm for longer than usual. I had to hustle at times to keep up as the road was a tad rougher than the LBS rig liked, I would fall behind. Front shocks don't quite have enough travel and I would bottom out hard on some of the big hits. Rigs are always a work in progress I have come to learn. Stiffer springs or different shocks are on the menu. 

Looking back towards Omak

Uploaded files:
CCjonFlyinMonkeyssheath

We now knew where Garmin had got us lost so made the turn at the right spot this time. Sign said 19 miles to Winthrop. LOL. Of course it had some of the worse wash board of the trip. More traffic I suppose. Winthrop was a busy as ever so only a 5 minute stop to decide the next steps. Of course now it was a bit too late to take the second plotted route and with no time to get un-lost we just took the highway back to camp. There were cold beverages waiting. 

Safely back at camp

Uploaded files:
CCjon, FlyinMonkeys and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeysBen Franklinsheath

All great things have to come to an end,  but not before a nice fire, a few tall tales and of course the beverage of your choice 

Till Next year

All for now

Uploaded files:
CCjon, FlyinMonkeys and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonFlyinMonkeysBen Franklinsheath

Good times, for sure.  Thanks for sharing the story and photographs with us.

FlyinMonkeys and sheath have reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeyssheath
Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Brian, a "Last Chance Camp out South of the border" would be a great story for the Sidecarist magazine. Why not submit it and photos to the editor, Martin.

Send to: editor@sidecar.com

MGV8, FlyinMonkeys and sheath have reacted to this post.
MGV8FlyinMonkeyssheath

I'll see what I can do about that

CCjonFlyinMonkeyssheath

Latest excursion tested both the Overland and ME!  We both survived only a tad bruised and certainly battered.  Some have questioned why I carry a winch and keep the crash bars on. Well this is why. LOL Pictures curtesy of Eric Story to follow. 

Uploaded files:
DRONE, CCjon and 4 other users have reacted to this post.
DRONECCjonSzkudlarekReardan TomBen Franklinsheath
Quote from CCjon on November 7, 2022, 7:42 am

Brian, a "Last Chance Camp out South of the border" would be a great story for the Sidecarist magazine. Why not submit it and photos to the editor, Martin.

Send to: editor@sidecar.com

CCjon, can the editor not pull from the forum?  I struggle to convert files from my apple computer over to other formates. 

Reardan Tom, FlyingMonkeys and sheath have reacted to this post.
Reardan TomFlyingMonkeyssheath

Brian, good idea, but I doubt the editor reads the Forum as he is a multi-magazine editor who does not ride sidecars or motorcycles. 

He relies of our sending him content in a WORD, PAGES or TEXT file. He proofs for spelling and sentence structure, then organizes the layout for the printing company.

FlyingMonkeys and sheath have reacted to this post.
FlyingMonkeyssheath

Ok, I'll see what I can do this fall. On the road most of the rest of the summer. See if I can put together some info that actually makes sense. I am a mechanic, not a writer so the editor might have more to correct than just Spelling errors 

CCjon, Reardan Tom and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonReardan TomFlyingMonkeyssheath

Latest journey, turned into a month long one. Was in the planning for a while, with the purpose to see as much of rural Canada as I could and touch 3 oceans. Trips like this were the primary reason behind the LBS Overland rig. I also have several hundred pictures that I could post but will try and keep it a bit brief. 

I kind of failed in the original quest due to wild fires and limited time I was allowed to be away on a solo journey. Still I managed to see a lot of Raw Canada and am very happy with my trip.. The Arctic Ocean and James bay can wait for another day. 

For my trek east I headed as far South as I could and bounced along the Canada US border with out going over. Took a bit of routing work but I managed.. I love that Southern Raw prairies. Our Grasslands Nation park is one of my Favourites. 

Uploaded files:
CCjon, Craig and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
CCjonCraigFlyingMonkeyssheath
PreviousPage 2 of 3Next