Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

The 'Horns of a Dilemma!

I find myself torn between the following and all at least to me have their merit and demerits (?)

The Can-Am Spyder: I would only consider the new 3 cylinder, manual trans 6 speed model since it seems that they are finally/ mostly reliable but the model I like, the RT is $8,000 more than my 2015, loaded Ford Taurus and my recently sold 2012 Goldwing???? I am a member of a few Spyder forums. I have not ridden one yet.

Trikes: I've looked at a few and came close to buying one recently but was turned off by a number of things like the Goldwings looking like the 'Starship Enterprise,' or the 'Battle Star Galactica,' not to mention the costs of the new trikes by any manufacturer. I belong to a trike forum, I have never ridden one yet.

Sidecar rigs: I owned a brand new 1981 Yamaha XS1100, with the Windjammer 3 with lowers, with the factory backrest/ luggage rack for my Wife's comfort. I found a Ural sidecar dealer and installer and had the Hack installed. It was the LARGE, all steel one, with the windshield and the huge trunk with the spare tire mounted on it and it came with the leather cover. It didn't have brakes but the XS1100, with a disk rear and 2 in front was sufficient. My instruction, about 100 miles from my home took place in the hills of San Diego and lasted about 2 miles and 5 minutes. All went well:)

My wife and I enjoyed the rig for several years and never had a single problem!

For some reason riding the thing gave me a lower back ache and I was only 34 years old and in top shape---weird!

The most intelligent idea to me at this time is to have a Sidecar installed on my Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster. At least I have some experience at piloting one even if it was a long time ago.

I have no problems at all riding at this age and I've never fallen on the road nor never had an accident in 53 years of riding but I'm tired of sand and pea gravel in the roads here that Missouri DOT somehow thinks should be left a every intersection and corner in the State, for Winter traction but never manages to sweep up after the season, so I know that someday I'll fall down and my Wife and I don't look forward to that!!! She also said she'd feel more comfortable riding in the sidecar than on the other's!

I'm sure some of you pondered the same questions before you decided on a Sidecar rig so between my choices above, what would you recommend??

Sam 🙂

Sam, I will address the back ache issue. A sidecar, no matter how well set up does make steering a bit harder, and usually tends to pull slightly to the right, especially on high-crowned roads. Constantly resisting that will tire out those back muscles. I'm just a couple of years younger than you and I also had those issues back in the early '80's. Your Rocket is new enough that I'm sure somebody makes a modified tree for it to help ease the steering issue.

The Rocket 3 makes a great sidecar rig, part of your back ache could have heavy steering, we of course make triple tree's to lower the steering effort for the Rocket 3. Constant pull one way or another could also contribute to the back issue however proper alignment will make it so that it is not a constant pull however electric trim is offered which allows you to trim the rig for the conditions you are experiencing based on load, road, speed, weather, hills or? A sidecar is going to have a better ride quality to it then most trikes as most trikes are very stiffly sprung so that they do not lean the wrong way in a turn and being a 3 track vehicle if there is a pot hole you are finding it with one of your wheels.
We offer many sidecars that will work well on your bike and all are strong enough for your bike and come with proper bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware. You should consider going with a sidecar that is very easy to get in and out of as chances are it will be with you for many years and perhaps many different bikes, as the years go on being easy to get in and out of becomes much more important.
Sidecars we offer that are easy to get in and out of that would work well with your bike are the M72C, M72CX, Expedition and Tomahawk SE all of which can be built at different ride heights and with different fender configurations. If money is tight and you can go with a sidecar that is not as easy to get in and out of then the Kenna also works well on your bike.
At the end of the day you need to go with some thing you are comfortable with but more important, your wife must like it.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Not really an expert or anything but hear are my thoughts based on my experience! I just had a Hannigan classic SC installed on my Goldwing F6b. It was installed by Claude and Dave at freedom sidecars. It has ECC and runs very well. Just had a car tire installed on the rear of the bike. Works great. My wife rides a DFT trike built on a goldwing Chasis. Really loves the bike. It has the Goldwing drive train. This makes it a shorter wheelbase and much more maneuverable. Have ridden it all over including Deals Gap and the Blue Ridge. Trike has performed amazingly well! Because of the design it feels more like riding a motorcycle. Got it used and with very low mileage. Have never ridden a Spyder so can't comment on their ride or performance. Just my thoughts for what they're worth. Good luck with your decision.