Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

The Bunkie Boucherie Sept. 29 - Oct. 2, 2016

Bunkie (bun-kee): A farming community in the North end of the Cajun Prairie in Avoyelles Parish, Louisiana, named after a little girl who referred to her toy monkey as her "Bunkie" ( http://bunkie.com/GoodStuff/About.Bunkie.htm )

Boucherie (boo-shuh-ree): – A community butchering of a pig which involved several families.... done in late fall to provide meat throughout the winter.... lasts several days....with a big dinner on the last day.... ( http://www.cajundaughters.com/cajun-dictionary-b/ )

Dates: September 29th - October 2nd, 2016

No, we're really not planning to kill a hog (nor a Hawg), but Ripley's Lane is just off Slaughterhouse Road and I suspect there will be a lot of "chewing the fat" and we'll likely conclude with a big dinner on Saturday evening. This will be another joint sidecar gathering with the TURD's.

Rally central will be at the home of Larry & Barbara at 121 Ripley's Lane in Bunkie, Louisiana. It's easy to find as Ripley's Lane is literally their driveway.

Camping: On-site with a bath/shower available. We should be able to accommodate limited electric service if needed.

If you prefer a motel or RV hook-ups, please make your own lodging reservations:

Motels: All-Star Inn 1 mile away - 318-346-8113 or Howard Johnson motel 7 miles West - 318-346-6866

Note: The All-Star Inn is a small motel just down the street the rally site - please make your reservations early.

RV Park: Gator Grounds RV Park on Golf Course Road 6 miles Northeast - 318-295-4030 or 318-346-6245 (https://gatorgrounds.org/)

Preliminary Plans include (subject to change, of course):

Thursday/Friday:

Overnight ride hosted by the TURD's incorporating the paved and unpaved roads along the Atchafalaya levees with an overnight layover in Morgan City. Details are posted over on the Soviet Steeds forum here: http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=44289

Thursday alternative for early arrivers:

2:00 Ride to the Louisiana Arboretum in Chicot State Park 22 miles Southwest (see details in Post #89818 herein below) followed by supper at a local restaurant

Friday:

11:00 Meet-Up for Lunch at Lea's Lunch Room in Lecompte (20 miles North) followed by 50 mile tour of fish hatchery and local bayou back roads

6:30 Ham & Yam Supper at rally central - Yams are a staple crop in Avoyelles Parish

Saturday:

8:00 Breakfast benefiting the Boy Scouts at a local church

9:30 Side-Trip to Big Bend Surprised [80 miles]

4:00 Sidecar Games

6:30 Brisket Dinner at rally central benefiting the Boy Scouts

Sunday:

7:30 Shrimp & Grits Breakfast at rally central

Stay Tuned for more details as they develop......

There is no Registration, but please let us know you are coming so we can plan meals & rides - either by posting here or email to rleeryder--at--bellsouth.net

We'll have a donation jar to offset rally expenses

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

DIRECTIONS: From U.S Highway 71/SW Main Street in Bunkie, Louisiana,

Turn East on Louisiana Highways 29/115–East Church Street,

Cross the railroad & bear right on LA 29/115–Evergreen Road,

Travel ¾ mile to All Star Inn on Left at Lyle Avenue;

Turn Left on Lyle Ave under the Rocky’s arch –¼ mile to Sterling Bains Road,

Turn Right on Sterling Bains Road – ½ mile to Slaughterhouse Road,

Turn Right on Slaughterhouse Road – 500 feet to Ripleys Lane on Right.

Alternative Directions:

North on Slaughterhouse Road at Scott's Ace Hardware - 1/2 mile to Ripleys Lane on Left.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Yams (sweet potatoes), among the most nutritional of all vegetables, are staple crop of the area and are the highlight of our Friday evening meal.

Yamster the Hamster* extends his personal welcome to The Bunkie Boucherie:

* Yamster is the mascot of the Louisiana sweet potato growers association.

We visited Larry & Barbara, the hosts of The Bunkie Boucherie 2016, this weekend to help install a set of modified triple trees on Barbara's Burgman scooter rig and spend some time at the rally site. Rally central will be their outdoor kitchen and patio with fireplace:

The tent camping area is to the left of the kitchen and under the trees just beyond - the games can be played in the foreground. As for directions, Barbara's white Burgman rig is sitting at the terminus of Ripleys Lane:

The Bayou Huffpower is on the North side of the Boucherie grounds. How about a race across the bayou? Might want to bring a lifejacket

Should you need to make some repairs, rest easy, Scott's Ace Hardware is just 1/2 mile away - and also has Exxon gas, camouflage gear, Stihl chain saws, Purina Chow, boudin & cracklins

And a wider variety of vittles can be found downtown at T-Raks Specialty Meats, including buffalo chicken sausage

conveniently located next to the Donut Shop

Bunkie also has a NAPA, an AutoZone and a Piggly Wiggly:

I made my reservations at the All Star Inn this morning. Looking forward to meeting everyone on the 30th.

Should you arrive early and/or have an extra 1/2 day, I suggest visiting the Louisiana State Arboretum in Chicot State Park 22 miles Southwest via Louisiana Highways 29, 106 & 3042:

Info: http://www.crt.state.la.us/louisiana-state-parks/parks/louisiana-state-arboretum-state-preservation-area/index and https://louisianaarboretum.wordpress.com/about/

Map: https://goo.gl/maps/36UDHQEwa7s

Please ask the park rangers if the North exit is open for a nice short-cut on the return route. If so, be sure to take the 1-1/2 mile side trip to the boat ramp on the North end of Lake Chicot just before the North exit.

ALSO: If you arrive on Thursday, please check with our hosts, Larry & Barbara, as to whether the Katfish Kitchen in Eola is open for supper. (Unfortunately, the family is considering closing the restaurant after 40+ years.) Eola is 7 miles Southwest: https://goo.gl/maps/AnLCLDzP9SA2

Eight-year-old Virginia O’Hanlon wrote a letter to the editor of New York’s Sun: ...Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.... Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?** A quick response was printed as an unsigned editorial Sept. 21, 1897. The work of veteran newsman Francis Pharcellus Church has since become history’s most reprinted newspaper editorial....:

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.... He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy.... ...your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see....

Yes, Texas, there is a Bend Bend, Louisiana:

**From: http://www.newseum.org/exhibits/online/yes-virginia/

The road to Big Bend ... Louisiana style:

The Road to Big Bend, Louisiana

Unfortunately I won't be able to make the event due to a health issue. I was looking forward to it. Have a wonderful time.

Sorry y'all will not make it down, Ron.  We pray for your good health.

As of now, the preliminary head count for the Boucherie stands at 42 ±20%.   Average October 1st temps for Bunkie are Low 63° & High 84° so we anticipate mild mornings/evenings and warm afternoons.

But beware:  Averages are seldom reality. 

Got my reservation in at the local motel, looking forward to seeing the gang.

Better shoe on a fresh knobby if I want to follow you guys on the levees.

CCjon

The preliminary forecast for the Boucherie is about "average" with the greater rain chances ending Tuesday Sept. 27th allowing an extra day for the rally grounds and the levee roads to to dry out.

It is sugar cane harvest season, as well as cotton picking time, in Central Louisiana, so please look-out for agricultural machinery and debris on the roads:

My daughter Elena and myself will be there and looking forward to our first sidecar event. We will leave as soon as Elena gets out of class Fri. and make the Friday dinner.
Glenn McGovern
gcmcg@mac.com

Hi Glenn, we'll be looking for y'all. Be careful traveling thru the metro areas of Louisiana.

If anyone needs information or assistance on the road, please call/text either:
me (Lee) at 31eight-39three-745four (I will try to have my headset linked to my phone while traveling);
Barbara at 31eight-48one-008five (but note Barbara may be out-of-pocket Friday 'til after 3pm).

Also, if you bring some door prizes, we'll draw for 'em.

Late Development: Barbara has a some Boucherie T-Shirts for sale - $12 - first come first serve.

Lee, Your rig sure does clean up nice. You must have waxed it, that cajun mud is not sticking on anything.

Fantastic weekend with the South Central USCA crew and the TURDS (Texas Ural Rider Division) rally in Bunkie and Big Bend, LA. Gracious hosts Larry and Barbara, Lee and JR with USCA and Kent with TURDS did an outstanding job of making this another welcoming fun gathering.

Games included:

SLOW Race in Reverse

Joisting

Clean Sweep

And ROAD KILL, or as they say in Bunkie, Louisiana..... SUPPER! Which was won by our Hostess Barbara and Scout Master Vince.

Attached files

I want to thank all of you that took part in the games. Couple of new ones that I tried out. For Urals,slow race in REVERSE. A form of joisting that was new for me. Nice thing was the shady area for spectators to view games. Had some new participants that wound up winners. Thanks again.
J.R.
Sec.
Tex. rep

Have posted a short 8 minutes video from the Bunkie Boucherie to the blog, here is the link

http://ccjon.blogspot.com/2016/10/bunkie-boucherie.html

enjoy.

CCjon

Thanks everyone for coming to the Bunkie Boucherie rally and for everyone that helped to make it a success! We had a blast except we didn't get to visit as much as we would have liked. We met new friends and we also missed many of our friends from previous rallies. Thank you for all the thank you notes we have received. Words cannot express how great of a group we had here. BUT.... Someone sent us a thank you gift of bagels and bread and other stuff but we do not know who to thank because there was no name. We would love to know who sent it so we can say thank you. The video by Jon was GREAT! Thanks to Lee and Jena, Kent and Ana, and JR and Avonell for the rally activities and thanks to George and Aurora and my brothers, Ronald/Paula and Roland/Sandy for all the many days of prep. If any of you are ever in the area, please stop by. The back apartment is always available to you all.