Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Thank you for letting me join

Thank you for letting me join here. I have owned a setup of Suzuki M50 and Cozi Rocket sidecar.

I live in Vancouver, BC. I had rode mostly sport bikes. Since I am getting old and I started worrying about falling at intersections, I started riding the sidecar. I think I made a mistake thinking sidecar was easier to ride than regular motor bike. My sidecar riding skills are still lousy, so I just ride on city streets. Right now I have got a problem with the rig and I have thought I might get some help from members here. That made me joining this forum.

About three weeks ago while riding, a bolt fixing fender to the sidecar chassis snapped off. I have tried to get contact with the manufacture, however, I haven’t got any replies from them. The bolt size is I think 9/16”-12x7”. I tried to get one locally, however I haven't got any luck either.  I think getting proper parts from a dealer is probably better than trying to fix it with hardwares from local stores. If any of you know a dealer who might have those parts, please let me know. I contacted SportMax Sidecars, however, she wasn’t very clear about what they have got in her shop.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon

I know some people who have lots of sidecar experience but they aren't dealers, good friends though. Gary and Barbara Storch on Nanimo Island. I don't have a phone number. I could private message you their email address though. And Barry Bates is in BC as well. He built sidecars at DMC for a whole bunch of years. Those folks are pretty close and could very likely assist you. Good luck!! And welcome!!

CCjon has reacted to this post.
CCjon

You more then likely will get better hardware at your local store then buying the hardware out of India which has already proven to be an issue.

Kevin at cyclesidecars.com is the USA importer, I have known Kevin for over 20 years he is one of the "good guy's" in the industry and may be able to help.

There is a now small and getting smaller sidecar club out of B.C. called "The bigfoot sidecar club" they use to and may still have a breakfast monthly in mission. The V.P. of the club Barry use to be my general manager. I have not heard from him in several years however he does or did do sidecar work. One of the members of Big foot is putting on a Moto Guzzi rally latter in the summer, he is a sidecarist and more then likely there will be other sidecars there.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thank you for your advices.

Yes, I met Barry four or five years ago at one of breakfast meets. At that about seven or eight members attended, however, I was only one riding sidecar. He kept inviting me for three years, however, I was always away for holidays or since I insured only for five months, I could attend none of them. Meeting place is also one hour away on mostly freeway, so it wasn’t very easy for an unskilled sidecar rider..

I at last found a store might be able to provide me with the bolt I need. Fastenal is the store. They require anybody who purchase from them to have own account with them. I did fill application form about four days ago, however, I had never heard anything from them. Today I emailed them and I got a reply right away. I think, hope  someone at the other end is doing something toward my account. I contacted other bolt speciality stores in Canada, however, I have never had any luck. There are many stores in the US.

Have you tried McMaster-Carr?  They have a big on-line catalog.  You may have to buy more bolts than you need but they have a huge selection.  I buy stainless fasteners from them.  https://www.mcmaster.com/ 

Before anyone says it, yes, I know that SS fasteners are in many cases not as strong as other materials.

I think I am getting an account to Fastenal. They have the bolt I am after and their store is only 6 km away. 

I know the pitch of the bolt broke off from the sidecar is 12. I was quite sure pitch 12 bolt is 9/16 bolt. Last night I checked the diameter of the bolt and found 0.472”. I was expecting to see something like 0.5”… I now worried the bolt I am trying to purchase is right size. I learned there are British size bolts.. They have 1/2 bolt with pitch 12.

Uploaded files:

You're fine, that works out to 11.98mm.  That's well within reasonable manufacturing tolerance for a cheap bolt.  When you do buy your bolt ask for at least a grade 8 bolt.

You are looking for a 12mm bolt, not sure but I believe the pitch is 175 could be 150,  the 7 inch long is really 120mm the USA and two third world countries are just about the only places in the world that use SAE sizes, India where the sidecar was made is like most of the world on the metric system. If you push the little blue button on your caliper it will switch to metric. If you can not find this locally we do stock the bolt is a 1.75 pitch but only in a SHCS (socket head cap screw, also known by some as an allen head) We stock more metric sizes then any of our local hardware store and even fastenall sends people to us for odd metric sizes as some we have to order in and have plated our selves.

Another option as 12mm is smaller then 1/2 inch if you had to you could tap the nut that it threads into to 1/2 inch 13tpi and go with an SAE bolt. Or you could dill all the way through and use a longer bolt with a nut.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Monday - Thursday 6-4:30 

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Thank you, Al and Jay

I have realized the bolt is made of metric stock with SAE pitch. I contacted Kevin of Cyclesidecar as Jay’s advice yesterday. I think he is providing me  parts needed for repair. He hasn’t told me about price and shipping cost so I am not 100% sure about. If I drill out and use a M12-1.75, I probably need a 200 mm or 8” long bolt. Is there such kind of bolt? I might use a threaded rod, however, I think they are even not grade 5.   Secondary, I wonder if I tapped with a 1/2-13 tap, the hole could hold 1/2-13 bolt securely… I can get 1/2-13x7 from Canadian Home Depot..

I suspect that if you put a metric thread pitch gauge you would find that it is really metric not SAE threads. I have only heard of 1/2 inch 12tpi once. Add on accessories stole our design for the Honda GL1800 first gen hitch, they sent one of our hitches to Taiwan and copied it. Everything fit perfectly into our production jigs it was such an exact copy however we had a bolt with a jam nut on it to keep things from rattling. Ours was 3/8 inch. Theirs was 1/2 inch 12tpi. They had made their own bolts and nuts as 1/2 12tpi does not exist any where else in the world. 1/2 inch would normally be 13 tpi. So people would call us made at us when they could not find a replacement bolt and jam nut for their counterfeit hitch. Mixing SAE and metric sizes in the same fastener does happen but not often. My 1953 MGTD has SAE bolts with Whitworth  heads, Metric bolts with SAE heads. And metric bolts with Whitworth heads In all they have a total of 7 different thread standards used in the car and it takes two different sets of wrenches to work on it.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

I got price from Kevin. I now asked him how I can make a payment to him.

Uploaded files:

My machinist friend who makes old VW carburetor parts on CNC lathe said the bolt must be 12mm 2.0 bolt. It is very rare, however, it exists. 2.0 and 12 are close enough checking with gages like I usedd 

Shikyo,

I agree with Jay.  I think that you're making this more complex than it is. In short, you're "buying trouble". The likelihood of the existence of a bolt like you describe is VERY LOW.  No reasonable person would go to the trouble of making a unique bolt when a perfectly serviceable bolt is available.  [The only potential exception to this is the English during their love affair with Whitworth. They did lots or REALLY dumb stuff] 

7" works out to 177.8 mm.  My favorite source McMaster Carr offers a High-Strength Class 10.9 Steel Hex Head Screw M12 x 1.75 mm Thread, 180 mm Long for $4.02.  If you want a lower grade [and if it's just holding on the fender a lower grade or stainless bolt would do] the prices are lower.  Here's the URL https://www.mcmaster.com/screws/system-of-measurement~metric/thread-size~m12/high-strength-metric-class-10-9-steel-hex-head-screws/ 

A

Oh, sorry I couldnt express myself well enough since I am a Japanese. I prefer the easiest way of fixing my things. I tried to find a nut to fit the end of the bolt, however, I couldn’t find any. I think comparing it to my Metric gage shows the reason a 1.75 pitch nut doesn’t fit the bolt. So I asked the machinist and his reply was; as photo included

I decided that  I cannot get bolt M12-2.0 -180mm anywhere except from the manufacture of Cozi sidecar. I have tried to get contact with Kozi Wheels for almost one month without any reply fr9m them. I also contacted the Cozi distributor in Lethebridge and lastly Cyclesidecar in ND…. Kevin sold me parts I need at last. I appreciate Jay’s advice to talk to Kevin. Now I am very happy getting proper parts for fixing my sidecar. I still worry a little about the bolt. My sidecar is probably 6 year old. I don’t think there is reason to keep using odd sized bolts for manufacturing so they might have changed TPI to regular pitch 1.75. I

I know Al likes Mcmaster hardware, however,  the most US suppliers are very difficult to deal with for Canadians. I haven’t tried with Mcmaster, so I am not saying they are one of them.

Anyway thank you for your input。  

Uploaded files:

You English is just fine, I just believe that you were pursuing a difficult path.  Kevin is a good guy and I'm sure he will help if he can.

A

John Holbrook has reacted to this post.
John Holbrook

I received necessary parts to fix my sidecar this morning. I worried a little thinking they might have changed the pitch of the 12 mm bolt to regular 1.75, however, they have kept the same 12 or 2.0(?)… 

Uploaded files: