Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Starting my CSC Friendship 1 and 1500 Goldwing project. Testing a CSC lean motor?

Page 1 of 4Next

I just got a 95 CSC Friendship1. It is not hooked up to the bike yet. I'm waiting on manuals with wiring diagrams to get here. I am electronically challenged,,,lol.

Can I test the motor with out any of the wiring hooked up just to see if it works?  There is only 2 wires on it. Are both of those a hot? One for up, and one for down? And is the motor grounded through the frame? Or is one of the wires a ground?

Can I test it with just a separate battery? Hooking a ground wire to the frame, and then each wire one at a time to the positive on the battery?

Please advise. And talk to me like I was a six year old when it comes to wiring. But I'm pretty good on other things,,,lol.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
FlyinMonkeys has reacted to this post.
FlyinMonkeys

Make sure it has  clean ground. simple 12 volts Use a fused power source. Two power wire one up one down .

If it has been sitting a while clean up pivot points lube with something like JB8 let it soak a bit.

Take your time you have a project ahead or you.

Wiring lights will depend on the bike.  Year. ODB2 years may need load levelers , CANBUS the newer years may need more than just splicing wires.

Install a connector between sidecar and bike.  Make sure you have a good ground.

You will need

Stop light wire

Right  turn signal

Hot wire for Marker lights,front light and tail light

FlyinMonkeys
Quote from Quick_Cal on November 18, 2022, 11:29 pm

..... talk to me like I was a six year old when it comes to wiring..... lol.

If'n it makes you feel any better, Cal, I'm no better at wiring (seems electrical issues can't be solved with a "bigger hammer"). 

smitty901 and FlyinMonkeys have reacted to this post.
smitty901FlyinMonkeys
Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

The way to check it out is you have to hook up one of the two wires to positive and one to ground, the motor will go one way then switch them and it will go the other way won’t work trying to ground the motor this is why you have to wire in dual relay’s when you go to hook it up to the switch 

FlyinMonkeys
USCA # 8913

Cal  go ahead and start a thread about your build here and you can use it to ask all the questions you want or need. you can keep it up dated as you go and add pictures of your progress. Then maybe we can combine your other threads together so it all stays together 

USCA # 8913

The "motor" as you call it is actually called a linear actuator.  If yours needs replacing, "linear actuator" is what you need to search for on Google.  You'll also need some basic specs like overall length and stroke length.  If you need help, use this thread to ask more questions.  Also note that if it's dead you don't have to replace it with a new one.  You can replace it with a fixed strut.

I've tested actuators in the past with a standalone 12V moto battery (car battery is OK too) and simply connecting one wire to + and one wire to - .  Just touch the wires to the terminals for a moment.  That should make the actuator actuate. Switch the wires around to actuate it in the other direction.  If you're sure you have good contact and the actuator doesn't actuate, then either (1) your battery is weak, or (2) the actuator is dead, or (3) the wires between the battery and the actuator have a break in them somewhere.

Up above somebody said something about grounding the actuator to the frame but of course that will only work if the battery is also grounded to the frame.

Fuses are used to protect your bike from short circuits.  You don't need a fuse when using a standalone 12V battery for testing since the actuator and battery are not connected to the bike's wiring harness.

There's a couple of different ways to wire those two wires correctly to a switch.   And a bunch of ways to do it wrong.  When you get to that point, come on back to this thread for more info.

FlyinMonkeys

Ok guy's. Thanks for all the help.

Can I edit my title of this thread to say my official build or something. The reason I ask is that on some forums I think I edit it, but it's not,,,lol..

I'll try and see what happens. Thanks

Success!!

I tested as you guys said. It works both up and down. So that's good news.

I'm sure I read it somewhere where another guy was testing his "linear actuator" and he said when it got to the end of it's travel it sounded like a gear was stripping. But they said that was perfectly normal. I can't remember how they described what was actually going on. But mine does that at each end of travel. So that's normal. Right,,,lol.

Man I'm glad that it works. The shaft looked pretty dry. Should I lube it with some light oil maybe? What do you guys recommend? Or leave it dry?

Thanks

BTW. Is there a way to preview my post before submitting it?

FlyinMonkeys

No preview function here, but fairly easy to post it, eyeball it, then edit it as needed (edit button is at the top of the post).  It's not like these threads are getting 10 replies an hour!

Grease on the shaft will attract dirt.  Clean it with some WD-40 and a rag and call it good.  The only place they really need grease is on the internal worm gear and that's supposedly pre-lubed for life.  But if you're feeling ambitious, the actuator housing should be removable if you wanted to get in there and service it.

The clicking noise at the end of the stroke can be disconcerting but I like that it's loud because I need to be able to hear it through my earplugs over wind noise and the running engine.  Reaching the stop is not supposed to be harmful, but I don't like pushing against the stop any longer than the minimum.  Might not be harmful, but can't be beneficial either.

FlyinMonkeys

When you reach max up or down you will hear that sound.

The ECC works great until they die.

When you wire it run wire that only go to the ECC and are fused.

Mine has a 30 AMP fuse.

Give some serious thought to where you will mount the switch. Mine is on the left side by clutch  I can reach it with one finger without removing hand from grip.

FlyinMonkeys
Quote from DRONE on November 20, 2022, 12:41 am

But if you're feeling ambitious, the actuator housing should be removable if you wanted to get in there and service it.

If it aint broke,,,I aint gonna fix it,,,lol.  Unless of course you guys say I really do need to get in there and grease it?

I assume you fly a drone? I have a Phantom 3 Pro that I got a great deal on a few years back. But that hobby never really took off,,,lol. I keep saying I'n goining to dig that thing out one of these days.

Quote from smitty901 on November 20, 2022, 6:34 am

When you reach max up or down you will hear that sound.

The ECC works great until they die.

When you wire it run wire that only go to the ECC and are fused.

Mine has a 30 AMP fuse.

Give some serious thought to where you will mount the switch. Mine is on the left side by clutch  I can reach it with one finger without removing hand from grip.

When the ECC dies, can they be repaired? What dies? The motor windings? If that's the case would it would be cheaper to get the motor rewound compared to buying a new ECC?  But luckily I think I'm good for now.

I have a 1500 Goldwing specific install manual, and switch box (no switch) coming. In it it says that the box gets mounted underneath the Goldwings turn signal housing. So that puts it right there where you suggest.

I'm not sure if I'm going to like this switch box. Looks big and bulky. I for sure don't like the look of a toggle switch. Looks cheap to me,,,lol. I'd rather use a rocker switch. Once I get it in my possession I'll see how it looks. If there's room I might put 2 rocker switches in there. 

Here's some pics from floridasidecars.com website.

Uploaded files:

In most case older ECC that has lived it's life. better to replace that tray and replace parts.  I would not worry to much about unless it gives you reason to.

My current one has about 65,000 miles of use. Only issue blew a fuse once due to a shorted wire.

Just FYI you can get a single rocker switch that is dual I have mine wired that way 

USCA # 8913

If you go with a rocker switch, you'll need to source a weather-resistant one with a 30-amp rating that won't be too bulky.  Hard to find.  The 30-amp toggle that most guys use, on the other hand, are common and cheap.  And, yes, unattractive.

I installed a nice-looking polished aluminum switch from Pingel (see pic below) on my GS rig (link -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OO2QP4/ ).  Because it had a low amp rating I had to run the actuator leads through two relays using a fairly complicated wiring scheme (schematic attached below).  Since you said in Post #1 that you're electrically challenged, I wouldn't suggest it.  Anybody else reading this thread, if you click on that Amazon link you'll see my review where I go into some specifics about the Pingel.  It did work really great once I got it sorted, and looked great on the bars, too.  There are other 7/8" bar switches on Amazon that might work better though.

With a 30-amp switch no relays are needed.  Simple wiring diagrams can be found using Google Images.  You can try using a 20-amp switch but I wouldn't recommend it because most actuators used on sidecars will actually pull 20 amps and that'll make your switch the weakest part of your actuator circuit.

Uploaded files:
Quote from AceinSav on November 20, 2022, 2:41 pm

Just FYI you can get a single rocker switch that is dual I have mine wired that way 

I think you might have misunderstood me, or I'm misunderstanding you,,,lol.

I meant one switch to work the up and down on the actuator, and one switch for something else. But I don't think I'll be able to get 2 rocker switches in there anyway.

Quote from DRONE on November 20, 2022, 3:01 pm

If you go with a rocker switch, you'll need to source a weather-resistant one with a 30-amp rating that won't be too bulky.  Hard to find.  The 30-amp toggle that most guys use, on the other hand, are common and cheap.  And, yes, unattractive.

I installed a nice-looking polished aluminum switch from Pingel (see pic below) on my GS rig (link -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OO2QP4/ ).  Because it had a low amp rating I had to run the actuator leads through two relays using a fairly complicated wiring scheme (schematic attached below).  Since you said in Post #1 that you're electrically challenged, I wouldn't suggest it.  Anybody else reading this thread, if you click on that Amazon link you'll see my review where I go into some specifics about the Pingel.  It did work really great once I got it sorted, and looked great on the bars, too.  There are other 7/8" bar switches on Amazon that might work better though.

With a 30-amp switch no relays are needed.  Simple wiring diagrams can be found using Google Images.  You can try using a 20-amp switch but I wouldn't recommend it because most actuators used on sidecars will actually pull 20 amps and that'll make your switch the weakest part of your actuator circuit.

Would this switch work?

I don't think I could get 2 in the box vertically. But I could put one in there horizontally. Which would be fine. I just wanted 2 switched because the box looked like it needed 2,,,lol.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/JR-Products/37213865.html#exp-productdetails=.questions

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/JR-Products/37213845.html

Make sure any switch you use is not an on off type. You want it to stop soon as you release it.

Same type switch you use on ATV to run winch .

FlyinMonkeys
Quote from Quick_Cal on November 20, 2022, 4:54 pm

Would this switch work?

I don't think I could get 2 in the box vertically. But I could put one in there horizontally. Which would be fine. I just wanted 2 switched because the box looked like it needed 2,,,lol.

https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/JR-Products/37213865.html#exp-productdetails=.questions

I think you got a winner there with the DPDT switch!  It says on the side that it's rated 30A for 12V.  The other one, the SPDT is a no go.  Attached is a wiring diagram for the switch.  Note, though, that the eTrailer DPDT switch already has the two "up" terminals connected to each other, and ditto for the two "down" terminals, so you just need to run 4 wires to the switch (not 6).  The four wires are (1) "+" from your power source, (2) ground, (3) actuator wire, and (4) the other actuator wire.

Do be sure to have a 30A fuse between the switch and the power source.  And since the distance from the actuator to the switch is pretty long I'd think that 16 gauge marine-grade tinned copper wire would be the smallest allowable size to use.  14 gauge would be better.  You'll see online recommendations to use 12 gauge or even 10 gauge but that's ridiculous IMO.  14 is plenty as long as you stick with good wire, not junk.

Uploaded files:
Quote from DRONE on November 20, 2022, 6:02 pm
Quote from Quick_Cal on November 20, 2022, 4:54 pm

Would this switch work?

I think you got a winner there with the DPDT switch!  It says on the side that it's rated 30A for 12V.  The other one, the SPDT is a no go.  Attached is a wiring diagram for the switch.  Note, though, that the eTrailer DPDT switch already has the two "up" terminals connected to each other, and ditto for the two "down" terminals, so you just need to run 4 wires to the switch (not 6).  The four wires are (1) "+" from your power source, (2) ground, (3) actuator wire, and (4) the other actuator wire.

Do be sure to have a 30A fuse between the switch and the power source.

All righty then. By looking at the etrailer switch I thought it was the same as the one in this video except has the jumpers built in. Thanks for the help.

Here's a video for the electronically challenged,,, like me. And it's working an actuator. How much easier could it get.

Page 1 of 4Next