Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Terminal or handicapped children rides.......

As ya'll know, I'm so new to the world of sidecars, that I don't even have mine hooked up yet !!! With that in mind, I have a few questions anyway. After I get the hack set up and get used to it, I'd like to go to hospitals and such that deal with the terminal or handicapped children and give them a ride in the car. I don't know any of the legal ramifications for such and I'm wondering if anyone here has been involved in such. The liabilities, do I need a harness or seat belt, what do I need to know? Considerations I'm unaware of yet?
My wife and I buried our only child, Micah, just prior to her 6th birthday. This coming Wednesday marks the 4th year of her being gone from us. We were somewhat looking at a sidecar before her passing, but never pursued it 'till a couple weeks ago when we got a deal on the 1999 hack I bought. So, ever since buying it, I can't forget about trying to take some of these kids for a ride.
Does anyone have any info about how to pursue this, or should I forget this as a bad idea, for some unknown to me reason ???
Thanks.

This young lady appears to be having a ball, she's a quardraplegic;

I'm not sure where you are, I live in SC and one of the things our ministry does in the summer is go to a local summer camp that has children with cancer. A bunch of us will go out there on a Saturday morning and give the kids a ride around the lake on the grounds, it's maybe 3/4 mile around up and down hills. There are kids with all kinds of cancers, many are on chemo, some are missing limbs, it's absolutely the best, worst day of the year for us, there are a lot of bikes and bikers that participate, from full blown Christians to 1%er outlaws. There has never been a problem regarding club affiliations, Hell's Angels, Warlocks, Outlaws, all are out there for those kids, there will be dressers, trikes, hard-tails, cruisers, choppers, Harley, metric, British, German, there's even been a couple of Can Am trikes, all are there for the kids. Occasionally there might be a kid that, because of weakness, or missing limbs that would only get to watch the others, they still had fun, but missed out on getting to ride. Now that I've got a sidecar, I'm hoping to give them a chance to go around the lake too. Our summer camp is called Kamp Kemo, if there is a summer camp near you, they may have a similar program, or check with the nearest children's hospital.
There is nothing more rewarding than seeing the smile on a kid's face when they get off your bike. They have virtually no self-pity, at least on the day the bikers come out, any how!

Doc

UltraRodHack - 4/18/2010 2:28 PM As ya'll know, I'm so new to the world of sidecars, that I don't even have mine hooked up yet !!! With that in mind, I have a few questions anyway. After I get the hack set up and get used to it, I'd like to go to hospitals and such that deal with the terminal or handicapped children and give them a ride in the car. I don't know any of the legal ramifications for such and I'm wondering if anyone here has been involved in such. The liabilities, do I need a harness or seat belt, what do I need to know? Considerations I'm unaware of yet? My wife and I buried our only child, Micah, just prior to her 6th birthday. This coming Wednesday marks the 4th year of her being gone from us. We were somewhat looking at a sidecar before her passing, but never pursued it 'till a couple weeks ago when we got a deal on the 1999 hack I bought. So, ever since buying it, I can't forget about trying to take some of these kids for a ride. Does anyone have any info about how to pursue this, or should I forget this as a bad idea, for some unknown to me reason ??? Thanks.

I would think you would need the childs legal guardian to approve the ride,you can also try hooking up with the Ride for kids org. there are specified dates for specified citys through out the country there may be one near you they welcome sidecarist. It's by no means a bad idea

Having worked with people with special needs for over 25 years, both children and adults, it doens't take much to bring a smile to someones face. Make a Wish and the Ride for Kids are both excellent programs to support. Like said before looks for various summer camp and just ask, get a ride together with a group of your friends and spend a few minutes with someone. While I worked as the Outdoor Education Director at Camp ASCCA(Alabama Special Camp for Chidren and Adults), we had a local group show up for lunch one day, our campers that week had the times of their lives, just sitting on, pretending to ride, it make their week, and to this day I still see one of my campers and they ask me about the day the motorcycle gang came to camp........lol.............what is a few minutes of your time for a lifetime of smile and tears...........just do it.......

Our daughter that passed away was special needs, never walked, never talked, but was the joy of our lives. We met many families during our years in and out of hospitals and different settings we were involved in. I know this sidecar can bring a smile to way, way more faces than mine and my wife's. I'm going to contact the Victory Junction Gang camp too, I think it's within 3 - 4 hours from here. Anyone else in or near North Carolina interested in this? Let me know.

UltraRodHack - 4/18/2010 8:23 PM

Our daughter that passed away was special needs, never walked, never talked, but was the joy of our lives. We met many families during our years in and out of hospitals and different settings we were involved in. I know this sidecar can bring a smile to way, way more faces than mine and my wife's. I'm going to contact the Victory Junction Gang camp too, I think it's within 3 - 4 hours from here. Anyone else in or near North Carolina interested in this? Let me know.

I'll certainly consider joining you if there's any way possible, and I may be able to get some of the other folks that ride to 'go on a road trip' to help out any way needed, whether it's riding, helping the kids in and out, off and on, depending on 2 wheels or 3 wheels, or helping with lunch, we just like to serve.
We are about 2 hours south of Charlotte, but I've been known to ride 3-4 hours and sleep in a tent just to serve barbecue at bike week, and didn't even bring my bike.

Doc

Doktor,

Sent you a pm.

I'd be very interested in helping any way I can, I'm an hour west of Charlotte and I dont mind riding long distances.
Bob

For those of you in the Houston, TX area, this Sunday, 25-Apr-2010 is the Houston Ride for Kids. Be at the Humble Civic Center at about 9am for a great time. Those kids have a blast on the ride. I did it for the first time last year and I had a blast too.

Check out my pictures of last year's ride at: http://www.pbase.com/tmuilenberg/rideforkids

The Ride for Kids website is: http://www.pbtfus.org/rideforkids/calendar/2010/houston.html

Terry

If at all possible I would like to get involved in some activity like this. Can you let me know more information like dates and locations? If I can arrange it I certainly would like to participate. I am located in the NE Ga area.

Hi funnyman. Northeast Georgia is just a scenic ride over to Asheville, N.C. where the ride for kids is run on August 29th. The Atlanta one is on June 6th. You can get the information on these events at rideforkids.com. I didn't get to the one in Raleigh, NC yesterday, some guy wanted my rig more than I did but I hope to have another one soon.
Bob

I'm going to give a little boy with Spina Bifida a ride at his Benefit this year. I can't wait and have already bought him a Cross Bones hat. His mom is going to ride in the car and hold him.
Coyote

Each May our CMA chapter makes a run up to a resident home for the disabled near Walworth, Wisconsin. Once there we spend time with the residents, lead a short service, serve lunch and then take them for rides. The joy that a short ride around the parking lot brings always touches me.