Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

SW Washington to Lake Chelan Sidecar Rally

I am heading to the Sidecar rally at Lake Chelan in Washington State departing on May 14th. I will be starting from just north of Vancouver Wa. headed up I5 to Highway12 then East to Yakima and on to Lake Chelan.
I ride a Ural Patrol and I am looking for others that are going to the rally that would like to ride together . If anyone has an interest traveling together to the Rally let me know so we can set up a meet point and time.
Buck Buchanan
Yacolt Washington.

Hi Buck,
We'll see ya there! I hope you come in leading a large group like the Pied Piper! Have a fine, fun ride.

Hi Bsrider:
We are headed to Chelan too, but will be running East of you. (hwys 243/28 etc) Maybe we will see ya on the road north of the Wenatchee area. We plan to run 12 on the return trip. We will be two riders - yellow solo wing, and blk honda/hannigan. Heading North, we plan to stop at the "Wild Ponys" (hwy 90) across the river from Vantage.

Have a great/safe trip.
gp

I am looking forward to the ride . The one thing that makes a ride more fun is more riders.
See ya on the road.
Buck Buchanan

Instead of riding on I-5, I would recommend take HWY 9 south from BC. It is a nice ride. Also, while HWY 12 is good, either HWY 20 or 2 is a much more scenic ride. I personally prefer the North Cascade HWY (HWY 20) and it just open a few weeks ago. This would also allow you to miss all the traffic through the Seattle/Tacoma area. There is road construction in both Seattle and Tacoma which will cause some delay.
If you do decide on HWY 9, plan on lunch in Van Zandt at Everybody's Store http://www.everybodys.com/index.php
Even if your not hungry, stop and get some sandwiches & cheese and other supplies for a nice picnic on HWY 20 or 2 later.
Here is a photo of it with my prior bike out front:
http://wingincamera.zenfolio.com/img/v0/p452286428.jpg

If this weather ever straightens out (still snowing here) we are thinking of leaving Lethbridge, Alberta on Wednesday May 19th. Considering crossing the border just north of Bonners Ferry, Id. at Kingsgate, BC. From there unless someone has other recommendations will probably go south to Coeur d'Alene then heading west from there. We have not traveled through this part of the country and am looking forward to it. See ya' all in Chelan.

I'd consider riding the Crow (BC 3) to Ossoyos rather than the Couer d' Alene route. It's a great road with better scenery to the Okanogan Lakes then down US 97 to Chelan.

Lonnie

Hack'n - 5/6/2010 8:38 PM

I'd consider riding the Crow (BC 3) to Ossoyos rather than the Couer d' Alene route. It's a great road with better scenery to the Okanogan Lakes then down US 97 to Chelan.

Lonnie

I agree with you on that Lonnie, but I have ridden/driven that route so many times that I think I know every wrinkle in the road. I need a change. That is the route I always take when I go to Vancouver several times a year. Wife and I still have family in Vancouver. Distance wise there is very little difference according to Google Maps. In fact the US route is a little shorter. We may yet take the whole week off and go to Vancouver first then take the North Cascades back if it is open. Otherwise, maybe Stephens pass through Leavenworth. Looking forward to the trip either way...........See ya' in Chelan.

Larry & Bonnie

It's all good Larry.
Ijust noticed you live on the Crow. I've only gone as far east on it to the Kingsgate crossing. We have made a Vancouver - Prince George - Jasper- Banff to Manitoba then down through N. Dak -Sturgis (for two Pitchers of suds) then worked our way back to Marysville, WA. Here in Idaho we have to get a passport to get back home if we cross over these days. My bride and I are getting one now since we love riding in Canada. I'm not nuts about the taxes and the cost of booze and gas though.
I won't be able to make Chelan. Busy with installations and my new hack won't be finished till maybe July. I had a southern desert run planned for the weekend after Chelan but that's history too. Oh Well!

Have fun,

Lonnie

Thanks Lonnie........We had to get our passports as well. I agree with you on the taxes and booze prices. Have to pay for our medical care some how. LOL Too bad you can't make Chelan. Would have liked to meet you. I am sure we will one day.