Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Stone Lake Leather / Bibs

Page 1 of 2Next

Mike You said that you purchased the Bib's from Stone Lake I have a couple Questions.Did you get the hip to boot style? also did you have them insulated and is it the removable liner? Im still wishing that I bought a pair when we were there.

Originally written by hdrghack on 2/14/2004 7:20 PM

Mike You said that you purchased the Bib's from Stone Lake I have a couple Questions.Did you get the hip to boot style? also did you have them insulated and is it the removable liner? Im still wishing that I bought a pair when we were there.

Mine have the light insulation sewn in. Diana actually talked me out of the zip-in liner saying that even most of their snowmobiling customers say the lining is usually too warm. They also told me I could add the zip in lining at any time in the future. I find the light insulation comfortable on the road from 15 degrees up to about 90 degrees but they get warm standing around at a rally. They do have the hip to boot zippers and snaps over the zipper. In very hot weather I unzip the leg from the boot to the knee and just use the snaps. This is my third set of leathers in 36 years of riding but I really think it's the best I've owned. My Feldsheer 2 piece fit fine walking around but was uncomfortable on the bike. My Dainese one piece felt good on the bike but too stiff walking around. Then I had a pair of chaps. We won't talk about them, but if you'd like to keep your legs attached, don't slide down the highway in chaps. Call them up and order yourself a pair, you won't be disappointed.

I have read a coule of things in the Forums about chaps and losing body parts. I sure would like a bit more info about that. I really do understand the need for people riding crotch-rockets(especially) and other two wheelers to wear leather protection. But, how many sidehackers actually get road rash? Isn't it likely to be something much worse if they have a mishap? Anyway, I hope you'll explain about the chaps.

Thanks,
Connie

The thing about the chaps is simply that the edges tend to catch on things as you slide down the pavement. I have an M.D. friend who insists that chaps should be worn on nothing that travels faster than a horse, and then, only if you stay away from pavement or sharp sticks.
If you never crash you can ride in shorts and flip flop sandals and not get hurt. Unfortunately we usually don't plan to crash, it just happens. Dress accordingly.

Thanks for that information, I would never have given that a thought. But, I do ride in shorts, I know, not at all wise. But, the possibility of crashing doesn't outweigh my extreme intolerance of being too hot. I've never been down with my sidecar (close once, but I wasn't worried about road rash, just dying), but I have met the pavement close-up and personal several times while on a two-wheel ride. Actually, one of those times I was wearing flip-flops. My husband and I went down on an oily, rain wet road at about 60 mph when he lost control trying to make a sudden stop because of an accident in front of us. We had stopped to put on our rain suits, but I didn't want to get my other shoes wet so I left on the flip-flops. I know the Lord was protecting us that day! The bike suffered no major damage, my husband only bruised his rear and I, of course, got hurt the most. But, neither rain suit was damaged, and, would you believe, I didn't come out of those stupid flip-flops! Which, by the way, I would never again wear on any kind of bike.

I know that I don't dress the way that a "real" motorcycle rider should, but I preach about helmets all the time and wear mine religiously, whether or not the law requires them! I know that mine has saved me a couple of times when nothing but my head was really at risk for serious injury!!!

Thanks again for the information!
Connie

Connie,

"Too Hot" is no longer an excuse. First Joe Rocket and now just about everyone else have brought out armored mesh jackets and pants. I LIVE in mine during the summer and have been fully protected yet heat tolerant at up to 103 degrees. As long as I'm moving, I am almost as cool as I would be wearing just the undies I have on under the mesh. I also wear GI issue (not reproduction) jungle boots and mesh gloves.

Effectivness? The surgeon who treated me back in Sept of '02 (a biker himself) said the only reasons I was still around were my helmet and armored jacket. I wasn't wearing the pants that day and my knees show it!

On the original topic of this thread, I've seen photos of those leather bibs and like the idea. As for chaps, pass. Who wants to look like The Village People anyhow?!?!?

Sarge

Hi Sarge,
You'll have to tell me more about those armored mesh jackets and pants. What are they made of and where can you buy 'em? I am really not at all brave and I don't willing take many risks, but everything flys out the window when it's a matter of too much heat. We were riding this afternoon and got home just before dark. The sign, on a bank about 5 minutes from our house, said 65 degrees. Our last stop had been about half an hour before. My husband said he was cold and put on a jacket, but I rode home in jeans and a long sleeve shirt. It wasn't too cold for me. Heck, I'd never get a tan if it wasn't for riding on my bike. Of course, with the sidecar, I always have one tan leg and one white leg. How do you get GI issue jungle boots? I really can't stand for my feet to be hot! I'm almost always wearing gloves because if my grips get wet from rain or sweat, I can't handle the bike. But, what are mesh gloves? You see, I really do believe in playing it safe. I think that people in cars should have to wear helmets - think how many lives it would save!

By the way, that picture still cracks me up!! I love it!

Connie

Connie,

Just my two cents worth but for warm weather riding I use a light weight hikeing boot. It has good ankle support, toe protection and is made with a heavy mesh top that allows air to keep my feet cool. As a added benefit, when you get off the bike you can go for long walks. Unlike some "cycle boots"

Originally written by Bob Stock on 5/30/2004 3:13 PM

Connie,

Just my two cents worth but for warm weather riding I use a light weight hikeing boot. It has good ankle support, toe protection and is made with a heavy mesh top that allows air to keep my feet cool. As a added benefit, when you get off the bike you can go for long walks. Unlike some "cycle boots"

I've got a couple pair of tall lace-up Harley Davidson boots that have the added option of a zipper up the side. They're great! If it gets too warm, I just open them up a bit. Unfortunately I think they have been discontinued. I bought two pair of size 13's at Fleet for $24 a pair.

Ugh, I know you'll all think that I'm a few bricks shy of a load, but most of the time I ride in $3.00 white canvas sneakers. I love the look of boots, but I can't stand the heat or not being able to flex my ankles, especially, the right one which is a bit messed-up from my two wheel riding attempts or should I say failure! Nothing major, but I did drop my bike on the way into a gas station - laid it over on my right leg and now my ankle is never happy about being overheated or held in a rigid position. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm always far less concerned about road rash and that sort of injury when I'm riding with my sidecar. Now, when I ride behind my husband on two wheels, I'm a bit more cautious. But, I do promise to give careful consideration to all of the advice about riding gear. Actually, I am most happy when it's cool enough that I'm wearing long sleeves, long pants, a leather jacket and my knee-high riding boots.
Thanks,
Connie

Broken bones heal faster than road rash and don't leave the scars. I have several friends who've gone down in T-shirts and shorts. One required skin grafts because there was nothing left.

American Iron magazine did a piece on summer armor in the June issue that came out last week. Several brands of Kevlar shirts and mesh shirts with armor. Definately a 'under the shirt' armor :O

I wear chaps because of my size- can't find riding leathers big enough to go over my jeans. They've saved my legs from road debris, including a metal fragment, and the occassional June Bug. I've gone down at speed before in 'biker' clothes (helmet, full gloves, chaps over jeans, and unarmored jacket over cotton shirt) Came out of it with bruises, pulled back, and a sprained ankle.

Connie, STRONGLY recommend boots. I wear Brahma work books with the plastic toe box. I can flex my ankles (trashed many years ago at work) and still have the support to keep them from hyper-flexing when I take weight on the bad one. I fold my socks down over the tops to act as lace keepers (neatly concealed under Tall size jeans so I don't ruin my [flip hair back over shoulder] image) and carry a pair of good walking shoes for when I get where I'm going.

Why hasn't anybody mentioned Dehydration.
Isn't this another reason we also wear Body Armor.
You can drink a lot of water, but the good ole wind will still suck it out of your body if'n you don't cover up.

Give them a try. They'll make a size that fits. http://www.stonelakeleatherworks.com/

OK, guys I swear that I will strongly consider mending my ways. I guess that I just feel so safe with my sidecar that I don't feel the need for all of that protection. Like I've mentioned before, I really don't know any other sidehackers, so I don't know anything about the kinds of crashes they have or injuries that they might get. I started riding on a motorcycle with my uncle when I was very young (maybe 5 or 6 yrs old) and I've ridden with my husband ever since we met 31 years ago, and (knock on wood) I have never had road rash. Well, except for one elbow when we slid on some sand going into a motel parking lot in Rapid City, SD. Oh, yeh, and I got "jean" rash when I dropped my Silver Wing (bike, not scooter) going into a gas station. I didn't get any holes in the knee of my jeans, but I lost a lot of skin off my knee just the same. That's why I have a sidecar!!! I decided that I wasn't two wheel material!

Thanks for all of the information! I'll check it out.

Connie

Wiskers,
I've never had much of a problem with dehydration riding locally, but it almost did me in riding through Kansas. That trip I did wear long sleeves and long pants the whole time. I actually do wear long sleeves most of the time because I despise sun block.

But, you do make a valid point. Thanks for mentioning not only to me, but to everyone else who needs to consider it!

Connie

As for me I'll allways wear at least my levis and boots with a good leather jacket. I wear Chaps and leather gloves too. After experencing road rash a few times I would rather be a little hot than all skinned up, besides after you get going the wind will cool you off.
Armored mesh jackets are out there that will keep you cool and will protect you have an accident.
There are two types of riders, those that have gone down and those that will.

Ride safe!

Hi Pegleg,
Does that name have any true significance?
I'm one of those riders that has been down, but not with my sidecar! Do you know of anyone who has gone down with one? I'd like to know something about the kinds of crashes and injuries that resulted, if you do!
I have a Tulsa windshield and a large fairing, so I'm pretty well protected from the front as far as stuff flying at me. Well, as long as it's not coming with enough force to break my windshield.
The one time that I truly thought that I was going down with the sidecar, I wasn't worried about road rash, just complete annihilation! On I-64, just west of Charleston, WV., a guy, that I had moved to the left lane to allow an easy entrance from an on ramp, came into my lane, got against my sidecar tire and almost pushed me into the steeply sloping, grassy median. There was no noise and I had no clue what was happening, except, that I was rapidly heading out of the road. I knew that at 75 mph, and that steep a slope, the sidecar would definitely take me down. A split second before I was toast, he backed off. Only then did I have time to figure out what had happened. To add insult to injury, the fool rode along side of me screaming at me that he was going to kill me, as if, he hadn't just done almost exactly that! Well, at least, he didn't damage my sidecar or me! Just took 10 years off of my life! - - I did have the pleasure of knowing that he damaged his custom blue, pick-up. There was blue paint on the rim of the sidecar tire!!

Take care, but have fun!!
Connie

Hey Connie,
I lost my left leg when a guy driving in my direction in a truck made a turn into my lane. He almost took the left leg on impact, the doctors could't do any thing to save it so it had to go. Have a new leg and things are going good. The wife was on the back of my bike, had a Roadstar at that time (just two wheels), and she still has a rod in her leg. I haven't had any misshaps with my sidecar but I have only been riding with a hack for a few months now. If I had known how much fun a hack is I would have installed one years ago. You have to look out for some people in cars because they either don't care or are not looking out for anything bigger than a house on the road, the guy that hit me (in broad daylight, on a straight road) told the officer at the crash site "I did'nt see the motorcycle". I'm just glad it was'nt a kid on a bicycle or something. Of course if it had been a kid on a bike he would have gotten something more than a ticket for a minor traffic vialation!

I guess what I am trying to say is have a good time out there, most people do look out for us, but be safe and aware of traffic.

Happy trails,
peglegstrick

Hi Pegleg,
I'm so sorry to hear about your leg, I was truly hoping that Pegleg was just a nickname. My husband almost lost his right leg in a very similar accident (if you can call those things accidents). Although, his leg was barely still connected, they did save it. But, it gives him lots of pain and problems. He has very little knee movement and his ankle, which was crushed, has no flexibility. He was very young, only about 21 yrs old when it happened and was very angry and bitter about it for years. Of course, the guy who hit him had no money and very little insurance. And of course, he just didn't see my husband, either! I think some people are just like cattle, they just go without thought! Well, of course, my husband had another motorcycle before he was out of his cast and usually logs 25,000 miles or better a year since he switched from Harleys to Goldwings.
I guess it's off to Americade early tomorrow morning, probably in the rain is what it looks like. Oh, well, I've been wet before!

Ride safe and I'll talk to ya later!

Connie

Have fun!

Page 1 of 2Next