Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

STEP IP at the rally - Sadly Cancelled

Now is as bad a time as any to announce that the STEP classes [both the instructor class and the basic class] WILL NOT BE HELD. Our range was taken away from us and last week I ran out of appeals. The range owner is the local Jr College and they have been under a lot of pressure to hold more motorcycle safety classes. We had hoped to get in where they had planned to take a weekend off. Pressure for the classes is too great and now they will not take a break and we have no range.

All instructor deposits will be returned in full as soon as we can get it done.

Despite my failure to make the STEP classes a reality, I can still promise you a great rally in a beautiful spot. I look forward to seeing you in Duluth!

AL
Thanks for the update and I really wouldn't think that it is any failure on your part as I am sure that you tried everything possiable to make this a reality.

Bad news doesn't get any better with time.

Good work was done - hopefully it'll come to fruition sometime.

Thanks for your efforts!
Tony

Al,
Please don't classify this as 'your failure'! It ain't your fault that the area came up unavaiable. You gave it a good shot and were the victem of circumstances.
No doubt the rally will be great with or without the training sessions.

Al,

Dont worry about the STEP class. Give us good time and GOOD FOOD and we'll forgive you for the....."failure". Just kidding!!

Piero Bassi
Minneapolis, Minnesota

Al,
Sorry I havent been keeping up here, Ive been studying.
what kind of area is needed for these classes? I have a couple club members that live in the Duluth/Hermantown area and could probably suggest another place for the classes to be held.
Im just a short 100 miles away myself and was looking forward to signing up for the classes.

DBL BBL,

I don't want to get folks' hopes up too far but we have never given up working on the IP. We don't have things locked up on a new site yet but we have a couple that are close and we hope to be able to announce that the classes are back on real soon. Until then, here are the specs for a range...

1. Unobstructed paved area [there have been exceptions made for unpaved ranges but we aren't trying for that] that is minimally 200x300 feet with no obvious run off dangers immediately adjacent to the range boundry.
2. We need to able to paint a set of exercise markings onto the surface
3. We need the range continuously from June 5th through June 12th.
4. We must be able to isolate the range so that unwanted traffic can't drive on to the range.
5. We can list the facility owner as an "Additional Insured" on the policy.
6. It is a real plus if we have a classroom nearby and restroom facilities are a blessing.

I've got a guy on the ground in Duluth checking things out and we have already struck out at the Junior College, the airport, the Police driving range and the Amsoil plant. We tried a few others as well but they were basically non-starters based on the facility, usually the size of the pavement or nasty light poles.

Thanks for your interest and support. I hope to see everyone in Duluth.

Just throwing this out there for a start. But there are a couple fairgrounds in the area. Proctor and over in Superior. Ive never been to either, but it was my first thought for that area. Those fairs are both later in the summer.

Ill send off an email to a friend down in Hermantown (who used to be an instructor) and see if he can think of something.

Just throwing this out there for a start. But there are a couple fairgrounds in the area. Proctor and over in Superior. Ive never been to either, but it was my first thought for that area. Those fairs are both later in the summer.

Ill send off an email to a friend down in Hermantown (who used to be an instructor) and see if he can think of something.

DBL BBL

I looked at the fairgrounds in Superior. No way! The pavement looks like a bombing range.

We're still looking for something but if you can come up with an idea [other than the Superior Fairgrounds] I'm all ears.