Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Steering dampner

Does anyone make a good dampner? I am getting a violent wobble at 20 mph. Bmw /2 frame with a /5 fork

Do you have violent wobble at 20 mph when you have both hands on the handlebars?

There are many dampers available. Most use the VW type damper. Harley uses this type ($125.)
I have one left in stock for $75. including shipping.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars
nwsidecar@aol.com

Usually if you have a violent shake you have some underlying issues that a damper will hide but usually it is best to try and work out what the underlying problems are rather then hiding the as a damper makes your steering effort harder all the time. The bike side mounts should be good and stout on your rig as the /2 frame was designed for sidecar use. What sidecar do you have on it and how is it attached to the bike? Are your steering head bearings tight? If they are the stock BMW ball type bearings not a lot you can do but you can slightly over tighten them. A flat profile tire on the front some times will help with a shake, if nothing else it lowers stopping distance. I like the tire from Heidenau but Metzler also makes a flat profile tire in 18 inch and Avon one in 19 inch. Make sure all of your mounting hardware is tight and not flexing, that your wheel bearings on not loose, your sidecar tire is in good order and then you can try changing the toe slightly, Often 1/8 of an inch either way will make a huge difference. While we do not have a damper kit specific to the /5 front end we do offer a "universal" kit that bolts onto fender mounts and then you weld a tab to the upper front strut $250, I would go this route as a last resort.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30