Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Steering damper and an EZ Steer

I recently added a sidecar to my 2012 HD Streetglide. I had an EZ steer and a steering damper installed. After the fact I read from the company they don't recommend both. My question is why and should I take the damper off?

Ghost

Most guys will install an EZ Steer if the bike's steering is too heavy and they need relief. They install a steering damper if they are experiencing wobble or headshake that they can't get rid of. Since you've already installed the EZ Steer, I'd remove the steering damper and ride the rig a few hundred miles. If no headshake or wobble, you're good to go. If you have the wobbles, check your setup, your rubber, your inflation levels, your steering head bearings, your suspension--all the things that might contribute to headshake. If you can't get rid of it, install the damper. Note that the wobbles most often occur at lower speeds and often while decelerating.

Why not just leave it on?
If it is not needed no harm.
I'd not want to find out it was needed and then ?
Peace

Except sometimes there is harm. Steering dampers can certainly be done right, but many are set up in such a way that a hard hit to the front wheel will cause the rig to skew. The term you hear for this is "xxxx steering". The O.P. didn't post any pics of his Streetglide, so I gave him the best answer.

Here is a pic of a Harley with a steering damper mounted high up on the stanchion. This is a good install and won't experience xxxx steering. The forks can move up and down freely. ---->

And here is one I don't like. You can see how any up/down movement of the axle will be resisted by the damper ---->

Now THAT'S weird! The forum will not let me use the word "xxxx". For those of you who don't know the censored word, it is "pmub" spelled backwards. Why would The Sidecarist censor that word? Very odd.

In old forums people used to write a word like "dump", but with a B to move a post back into the active area -- to "xump it up the list"... Somehow I doubt this forum would be inundated with users trying to xump their posts around and annoying that it won't let you say xump steer, but I'll try with a hyphen: -steer, -steer, -steer! 😉

Nope! It pulled it from the hyphenated versions! LMAO!!!

OH! Great answer! I'm sure you're right. Well if xump and xumping are banned, what about TTT ?

Huh, TTT is apparently OK.