Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Starting the research for the Family?

Hi All, new to the forum here, tons of informative stuff so far(in some ways a bit overwhelming) Anyhow, I have been hearing from my better half for the past few years on/off about getting a SC for my 2000 FLHRI so we can get back into riding like we did prior to our little-man coming into our lives (he's 6 now) so here I am starting to look into my options/costs/benefits of all the different options out there? I have read through a few older posts about roadkings with SC's as well but was mainly post 06' models.Looking for some help or direction as to my better options for my bike and what I'm looking to do compared to another separate rig (which is very tempting)....

Looking to do some nice country riding as in the past but with the wife AND son now, and the occasional ride around town with one or both of the pups in the SC, size of the car (not sure yet?) wife is petite, maybe 115-120lbs soaking wet, she likes comfort and warmth so the power for an electric blanket has already been mentioned 🙂 she can fall asleep on the back of the bike so I can imaging in a SC with a blanket she'll be out like a light....

I guess a few questions to start with would be.

1.Is there a specific manufacturers sidecar out there that would fit my 2000FLH as well as be compatible with a newer FLH model (most likely a Roadglide?) in the future if I were to get a new bike? Wishful/hopeful thinking right now.
2.From reading some posts it looks like I should just get the idea of a easily detachable SC out of my head?
3.Is there much of a savings in price with looking for a used SC or am I better off just going new?
4.Major difference with having brakes on the SC compared to not ?
5.Do most aftermarket SC manufacturers just ship the sidecar out to customers with detailed set-up/mounting instructions or possibly a list of recommended local installers (if any?) I'm located north of Charlotte, NC

I must say after stumbling onto this forum and reading a bunch about the SC riding and community I'm definitely alot more interested in it now and looking forward to moving on with the plan...And its also a perfect excuse to have to own 2 bikes once again, one for the family rides and then one for dad to have the solo radical ride once again, and another reason to have a larger garage built 🙂

Thanks in advance,
Steve

roadking00 - 7/16/2013 4:06 AM
...  been hearing from my better half for the past few years on/off about getting a SC for my 2000 FLHRI so we can get back into riding like we did prior to our little-man coming into our lives (he's 6 now) .... to do some nice country riding as in the past but with the wife AND son now....

Hi Steve.   to the forum and the off-set world of sidecars.  I will start by saying that, in most circumstances where only 1 passenger fits in the sidecar, it is necessary for the largest/adult to ride in the sidecar for proper balance/safety.   Here are some brief responses to your questions -- but these are only my observations here:

1.Is there a specific manufacturers sidecar out there that would fit my 2000FLH as well as be compatible with a newer FLH model (most likely a Roadglide?) in the future if I were to get a new bike? Wishful/hopeful thinking right now.

For your situation I suggest one of the wider (1-1/2 person) "aftermarket" sidecars, such as Kenna double, Hannigan Classic Twin, Motorvation Formula II or Champion Friendship III.  Both permit an adult + child to ride together. These larger sidecar are quite family friendly.

2.From reading some posts it looks like I should just get the idea of a easily detachable SC out of my head?

Although certainly an option, it's not for me -- just too much trouble.  A 2nd bike is generally a better choice - my preference is a KLX250 dual-sport.  Also, once the steering is properly modified for sidecar duty, the bike is no longer safe to ride as a 2-wheeler.

3.Is there much of a savings in price with looking for a used SC or am I better off just going new?

Can be, but proper mounting assembly is required for each application -- there is more than just the basic sidecar frame/wheel/body.

Some debate here on smaller and single-wide sidecars, but all heavier "double-wide" models need a sidecar brake.

5.Do most aftermarket SC manufacturers just ship the sidecar out to customers with detailed set-up/mounting instructions or possibly a list of recommended local installers...?....  Both are options.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

We make many different sidecars and also offer bike specific mounts should you go with a used sidecar. We also offer a plug in wiring harness for the sidecars lights. However unless you find a used sidecar close to you if you are planning on color matching the sidecar by the time you take it apart, fix what ever needs fixed, paint it, order in the proper mounting hardware you may find that you are close to the price of a new sidecar. Most of the made in the USA sidecars will work well for you. I however would stay away from Harley brand sidecars as they never got around to figuring out how to put suspension on their sidecars. In our product line my first choice for your bike is our M72CX however for less money and a bit larger sidecar our Kenna double would also work well for you. We are also a dealer for Champion, Their Daytona 2 + 2 is quite nice and if you want the best there is we also offer EZS sidecars however they are quite a bit more money when all is said and done.
While we can make it so every thing comes on and off in about 10 minutes including the brake hose more then likely you will not want to be taking it on and off as it is a bit of a pain to do and it also means that you should not modify the front end for lighter steering.
When ever you convert to 3 wheels be it a sidecar or a trike you end up with heavy steering unless you reduce trail on the front end of the bike, we do this with triple tree's that change the angle of the forks moving the front wheel forward, once this is done the bike no longer works well as a two wheeler.
As you are going to have your family in the sidecar I strongly encourage you to make sure that the sidecar has a brake on it. Some companies do not offer brakes even as an option, others tell you it is not needed. As far as I can tell the reason they do this is these companies do not know how to hook up a brake.
Also as there are at least 2 companies out there that are less then reliable, make sure you pay with a charge card so you have some recourse, if they will not take a charge card take your business some where else. Make sure also that the sidecar is going to come with lights on it, It should have a tail light, brake light, turn signals and many also offer a front marker light. These are for your and your families safety.
Reverse can be added to your bike however a bike with a sidecar is so much easier to push then a bike with out one unless you have physical limitations I would skip it.
We can crate and ship you the sidecar for you to install or have installed, or we can install the sidecar here.
Most people install the sidecar them selves as they are 100% bolt on with the only change to the bike being if you have the lower fairing you must remove the pocket from the in side of the right lower.
For planning remember that any of the quality sidecars are made to order, all companies that make a quality product have a lead time so you need to order it before you need it.
You can give me a call if you have any specific questions. I also recommend taking a sidecar class and buying the book by David Hough "Driving a sidecar outfit" we sell it for $34.95
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

The Harley sidecar does not have suspension, but Liberty Sidecar makes a nice looking sidecar styled after an older designed Harley sidecar with both suspension and a disc brake. Liberty supplies the mounts and brake lines with the sidecar. Just google liberty sidecar.
You can also check out the possible use of Tri-Glide triple trees as a way to lighten the steering. Check out past posts here on reducing trail with the Tri- Glide parts.

Well roadking00, if the color is OK, something like this Trans-Moto sidecar on ebay might be a place to start: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Sidecar-Trans-Moto-SIDECAR-2008-/261244353789?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3cd3607cfd&vxp=mtr

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

SwampFox - 7/16/2013 8:26 PM

Well roadking00, if the color is OK, something like this Trans-Moto sidecar on ebay might be a place to start: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Other-Makes-Sidecar-Trans-Moto-SIDECAR-2008-/261244353789?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3cd3607cfd&vxp=mtr

Not too bad looking, definately worth looking into....Thanks for the link

Markh00 - 7/16/2013 7:54 PM

The Harley sidecar does not have suspension, but Liberty Sidecar makes a nice looking sidecar styled after an older designed Harley sidecar with both suspension and a disc brake. Liberty supplies the mounts and brake lines with the sidecar. Just google liberty sidecar.
You can also check out the possible use of Tri-Glide triple trees as a way to lighten the steering. Check out past posts here on reducing trail with the Tri- Glide parts.

Thanks Markh00, liberty SC is on the short list right now, exploring all otions, there are alot more out there then I would have imagined.....

jaydmc - 7/16/2013 1:44 PM

We make many different sidecars and also offer bike specific mounts should you go with a used sidecar. We also offer a plug in wiring harness for the sidecars lights. However unless you find a used sidecar close to you if you are planning on color matching the sidecar by the time you take it apart, fix what ever needs fixed, paint it, order in the proper mounting hardware you may find that you are close to the price of a new sidecar. Most of the made in the USA sidecars will work well for you. I however would stay away from Harley brand sidecars as they never got around to figuring out how to put suspension on their sidecars. In our product line my first choice for your bike is our M72CX however for less money and a bit larger sidecar our Kenna double would also work well for you. We are also a dealer for Champion, Their Daytona 2 + 2 is quite nice and if you want the best there is we also offer EZS sidecars however they are quite a bit more money when all is said and done.
While we can make it so every thing comes on and off in about 10 minutes including the brake hose more then likely you will not want to be taking it on and off as it is a bit of a pain to do and it also means that you should not modify the front end for lighter steering.
When ever you convert to 3 wheels be it a sidecar or a trike you end up with heavy steering unless you reduce trail on the front end of the bike, we do this with triple tree's that change the angle of the forks moving the front wheel forward, once this is done the bike no longer works well as a two wheeler.
As you are going to have your family in the sidecar I strongly encourage you to make sure that the sidecar has a brake on it. Some companies do not offer brakes even as an option, others tell you it is not needed. As far as I can tell the reason they do this is these companies do not know how to hook up a brake.
Also as there are at least 2 companies out there that are less then reliable, make sure you pay with a charge card so you have some recourse, if they will not take a charge card take your business some where else. Make sure also that the sidecar is going to come with lights on it, It should have a tail light, brake light, turn signals and many also offer a front marker light. These are for your and your families safety.
Reverse can be added to your bike however a bike with a sidecar is so much easier to push then a bike with out one unless you have physical limitations I would skip it.
We can crate and ship you the sidecar for you to install or have installed, or we can install the sidecar here.
Most people install the sidecar them selves as they are 100% bolt on with the only change to the bike being if you have the lower fairing you must remove the pocket from the in side of the right lower.
For planning remember that any of the quality sidecars are made to order, all companies that make a quality product have a lead time so you need to order it before you need it.
You can give me a call if you have any specific questions. I also recommend taking a sidecar class and buying the book by David Hough "Driving a sidecar outfit" we sell it for $34.95
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Thanks Jay, I've been browsing your website quite a bit lately...So it seems like its not to bad of a job to mount it myself if its shipped out to me? I guess the setting up of the steering options may be the part I may want to look into a local shop that installs and deals with SC installs if it becomes a little to much to tackle myself? I'll be giving you a ring in the near future with some questions I'm sure....Thanks again.

SwampFox - 7/16/2013 8:18 AM

roadking00 - 7/16/2013 4:06 AM
...  been hearing from my better half for the past few years on/off about getting a SC for my 2000 FLHRI so we can get back into riding like we did prior to our little-man coming into our lives (he's 6 now) .... to do some nice country riding as in the past but with the wife AND son now....

Hi Steve.   to the forum and the off-set world of sidecars.  I will start by saying that, in most circumstances where only 1 passenger fits in the sidecar, it is necessary for the largest/adult to ride in the sidecar for proper balance/safety.   Here are some brief responses to your questions -- but these are only my observations here:

For your situation I suggest one of the wider (1-1/2 person) "aftermarket" sidecars, such as Kenna double, Hannigan Classic Twin, Motorvation Formula II or Champion Friendship III.  Both permit an adult + child to ride together. These larger sidecar are quite family friendly.

Although certainly an option, it's not for me -- just too much trouble.  A 2nd bike is generally a better choice - my preference is a KLX250 dual-sport.  Also, once the steering is properly modified for sidecar duty, the bike is no longer safe to ride as a 2-wheeler.

Can be, but proper mounting assembly is required for each application -- there is more than just the basic sidecar frame/wheel/body.

Some debate here on smaller and single-wide sidecars, but all heavier "double-wide" models need a sidecar brake.

5.Do most aftermarket SC manufacturers just ship the sidecar out to customers with detailed set-up/mounting instructions or possibly a list of recommended local installers...?....  Both are options.

Thanks Lee for touching base on all of those points, there is a ton of decisions I need to make and believe this is the right forum I've found to help make them.I'm gonna take my time with it and hopefully get all the major ones right the first time?? I definately realize the need for a larger garage now and leaving which ever set up I end up going with on the bike and if a solo ride is needed down the road so be it (2nd bike isnt so bad) Definately going to look into one with a brake whether it be a standard size or double as you mentioned...Thanks again for all your input and I'm sure as I continue my journey I'll be asking for some more help....

You can also check our Map Page for dealers and installers. State Reps are also a good source of information and are more than willing to help source information.

http://www.sidecar.com/themap.asp

these folks are close to you

http://www.awingandachair.com/

My first rig was put together by them

Most people install the sidecar on their own, most people also install the triple tree on their own. If you do want this done any bike shop can do it for you, It just bolts in like the stock parts. If you send me an email request I will send you the installation instructions. I will be leaving in a few hours to go to the national BMW rally and will not be back in the office until Monday.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
jay@dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30