Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Starting over

Page 1 of 2Next

Hannigan called yesterday. They worked me in to other planned work. Sidecar will go down between Jan 18th and the 23rd. Clean it up repaint to match the new bike . Make any new mounts needed.  In February the bike will go down and have it mounted. Loading the sidecar on the trailer this week.

I am not getting any information from HD dealers on the BCM and the Bank senors. The HD dealer that I have worked with for years has been shut down by HD.  Some say they will not shut the Bank sensor off other say can't be done. Of course they said the same thing about the 2017 and dealer had no problem shutting it off. Wondering how much of an issue it maybe. With the large Twin sidecar never had any issues with car coming up at all.

smitty901, post up before and after photos of the project. We can all learn more and appreciate the work done that way.

Have found many dealer service departments only know what their training manuals tell them. If it is not in the manual with a step by step procedure, they won't do it.  Plus the dealership owners do not want the liability issue. 

Small owner operator shops are the best bet for making mods. FWIW

I spoke with a local HD dealer on this subject yesterday.  I was told that the bike needed to be connected to the Digital Tech machine and depending on the bike model the Bank Angle Sensor [BAS] should either be shut off or told that the bike had been converted to a trike. Those should be menu choices according to the dealer's service manager. There was some discussion about the potential need to connect a new BAS and perform the changes on the new unit.  Since this change requires an expensive piece of HD factory equipment, small and/or independent shops may not have the capability. 

The dealers are taking a readily defensible stand about refusing to do things that may open them up to potential liability. However, since there is apparently a factory option in the Digital Tech menu that would make the required change the dealers may have a different outlook.

A

Each dealer avoids answering. HD shut the dealer I used for a long time down. Maybe that is why they didn't blow smoke they just took care of your needs.

Swapping ECM to one for a trike was always an option in the past. Dealers claim they can not change ECM to trike you need a new one and it needs to be programed. On my 2017 they just shut it off.

I will find away. Pick Hannigan's brain on it also they surely have had this issue before.

90% done building a wood frame to load sidecar on the trailer. Need some help loading it bit heavy to do myself.

"Swapping ECM to one for a trike was always an option in the past"

I guess I wasn't clear.  According the the dealer with whom I spoke, there is a menu choice available through the HD Digital Tech machine that tells the existing Bank Angle Sensor that your bike is a trike.  

But then, it's just what a dealer told me.  Good luck.

smitty901 has reacted to this post.
smitty901

Was not an option on 2017.  They could shut it off but had a red trouble light.  Never bothered anything. To go the Trike route you had to purchase a new Trike ECM and then flash it for your vin. And of course on HD can flash it. In any talk about issue like this the year is important.

I have been told HD has made it ever harder to make any changes to ECM/BCM on the 2021's.  Some are on show room floor now.

Any shop that has Centurion should be able to help you with BAS. There is no problem getting into the  ECM or BCM up to 2020.  The ECM'S are the same for the bikes and trikes just program different. The BAS has to be turn off because of the centrifugal force will turn the bike off.

Is Harley still going to honor the warranty on the bike once the sidecar is installed. I know once you do any changes in the ECM it red flags the bike for no warranty.

They will not horror the warranty . Not drive line ,engine trans with or with out ECM changes. I am not concerned about warranty. Life is to short to be held hostage to the EPA and a warranty.

Already had a place with the Centurion say they can not turn it off.  I will speak with Hannigan latter today. I know they would have done it on my 2017 but I already had dealer do it. If it comes down to it I will purchase a Centurion myself. After I speak with them and they say it can.

Sidecar is loaded. Dropping it off at Hannigan Monday the 18th for a complete refurbish and paint to match new bike. Looks like it should all be ready to mount end of February.  They were able to work it in with other work. There will be no changes in the mounts, that helps speed things up. It had always been my plan to repaint it. 40,000 miles and many public events it was showing some wear and tear.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

I guess I might look into making a bench setup to be able to program the ECM and BCM's. I made a setup for the earlier ones it sure save me a lot time and didn't need the bike. I have to see what the 2021's and the Pam American going to involve in. Your rig looks like it's going to be a nice setup.   

Quote from 2FLTC on January 11, 2021, 8:01 am

I guess I might look into making a bench setup to be able to program the ECM and BCM's. I made a setup for the earlier ones it sure save me a lot time and didn't need the bike. I have to see what the 2021's and the Pam American going to involve in. Your rig looks like it's going to be a nice setup.   

I talked with Hannigan this morning.  They said no problem with BAS. Two ways to do it. They can shut it off or use an add on part the defeat it.

Thank you for all your input. I have over the years that when it comes to sidecars on newer bikes the rules change. It is a constant battle to keep up.

The sidecars have become a big part of our riding and will play an even bigger role as the years add up.

It's a uphill battle just to keep up with the new bikes never mind about doing changes to them. I think Harley is the easiest to get into. The european's bikes are hard to get in. 

I had a good talk with Daytona Vtwin Tec. Their scan tool will work up to 2018. HD made a change they can not yet over come. Some of the options can not be changed.  When you change them it just resets back to factory . The BAS is one of them. trying to contact Centurion and get a straight answer.

Update Centurion got back to me. He is going to confirm it will still work with 2020 and call back. He also said they are very busy working on making it work with new 2021 system.

When they tell me it will work I am ordering one.

Centurion is a great product with good customer service, I've being using there stuff from when they first came out.  DTT is good with there products, there a little behind on there diagnostic end. There is one excellent tech guy that work for them or with them he has his own shop and he is sharp. He can make changes in there products were the shops cannot do. Texa is another one but there a little behind on the Harley stuff but the have some nice features. I have a couple other ones which do there job. But I think centurion is the best to work with  and best for value.        

I would have had the ordered done today but ran out of time. They called and confirmed it will work with the 2020. By time I got home from taking Payton to Catechism and PT it was to lateThey were closed.

About the only thing I will ever use it for would be the BAS setting and ABS brake bleed. May sound silly but I would cycle my ABS by locking the brakes up now a then in gravel drive way. Never had any issues with the ABS.

The centurion ships today. $447 that is the hardware the software taxes and shipping and first year license.  This is a Per bike option meaning.

To get full function I need a license good for 1 year $35 dollars. However many of the functions/tools will not require it. Like ABS cycling/bleeding.

Add it all up not a bad deal for me it will do what I need and much more. Each time I use recover some of the cost that adds up fast.

Good week. Sidecar dropped off and the Centurion showed up Monday.  Now figure out how to use it. Glad the check book stayed home or the trailer might not have been empty on the way back. The White black and Red BMW rig has some amazing work do to it and built to run.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmTLwCBi

1bmwmc has reacted to this post.
1bmwmc

I tested the Centurion this morning . Disabled BAS and then enabled it and all worked prefect No warning light after disable. Bit of a learning curve with the too but it works. At least up to 2020. Word is now 2021 is going to be a new game with ECU/BCM.

Uploaded files:

Thanks for the pictures link - wondering if those were all customers bikes or some for sale? Quite the collection!

Both some are stored their . I am just happy the check book stayed home. I was there to get my sidecar repainted and ready .

I am a sick man I fell for this one. I saw it some time back when they were building it.

Uploaded files:
1bmwmc has reacted to this post.
1bmwmc
Page 1 of 2Next