Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Stamps (Arkansas) Cafe

The weatherman forecasted an early spring day for Saturday 2/19/2011, so Jena & I made plans to take the sidecar dogs Corkie & Maddie to meet an old friend at the little Stamps Cafe in Stamps, Arkansas for lunch. After clearing the Shreveport/Bossier City metro area, we routed thru parish/county roads and the lesser traveled state highways, including a stop at Rocky Mount, Louisiana -- no, not Rocky Top -- but at about 350+/-feet of elevation, you can sneak a view of a couple of miles thru the trees.

The next town we visited was Plain Dealing, Louisiana, but we held our dealings to a gas stop on the way back home.

We arrived at the little Stamps Cafe about noon and our friend Hal joined us shortly. The Cafe is an unassuming little place, but the food is excellent, including the chicken fried steak we all enjoyed.

Here is glimpse of sleepy downtown Stamps -- with the "triangle" to the back left-- after Hal helped us load the dogs to head home.

On the way out, we stopped by the park at Lake June on the south side of Stamps and let the dogs sniff around and wade in the water. Interestingly, there were 30+ seagull looking birds out in the small lake in southwestern Arkansas, but the iPhone camera just couldn't reach out that far. We took a side road to Mars...the Mars Hill Baptist Church, that is... and were joined by Deputy Sheriff Gray on his HD police bike for a nice visit, and he warned us that many drivers tend to run stop signs out in his county.

We detoured to the Taylor, Arkansas high school for a glimpse of Hal's wife & daughter participating in a "Hit-a-thon" to raise money for their softball league.
After gassing up in Plain Dealing, we crossed the Red River and headed home thru the farming communities of Gilliam, Belcher and Dixie. In all, a 200 mile ride on an early spring day with temps from 58*--72*. Corkie and Maddie were more pooped than we were.

Oh,by the way: Jena capped the day by serving up root beer floats in frozen mugs upon our arrival back home. 🙂

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Hey Lee,
Great pictures buddy!!.....gives me the get-up and go....and the what and where to go??!!! looking forward to "Y`all come rally" in Florida...
Rigs looking good....I just got done wiring sidecar and installing Roadstar matching (LED) taillight on fender....will try to send pic??... if no go....can I Email pic to you??
Mike.........

Attached files

Hi Lee:
Enjoyed the article. Seems like "The Sidecarist" material to me. 🙂
gail

Nice story! Lee, your Sportster is one of my favorite "current" H-D models. It looks good!
I was wondering if you posted a thread detailing Jena's rig. It looks nice. I was wondering how a full-sized sidecar goes with the scooter-type chassis.
It took me a while to find the Burgman 650 on the internet. It looks like a nice bike!

Tom, the Burgman 650 makes a great tug. It's faster, smoother and more comfortable than my Sportster rig. We're awaiting the new modified triple trees which should make Jena's scooter "the cat's meow."

I don't have any info re: installation, but it's not the easiest install for sure. Upper mounts require trimming the fairing pieces. Here's a few pics of Burgman rigs:

Avenell's -- which she & J.R. installed themselves just last year:

Jena's rig:

Here's a gallery from the Burgman forum including some installation pics:

http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/cfargo/burgy/

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Thanks Lee! It's on the long list right now, but who knows?

That Cozy is a really cute car! Did they replace the front emblem with a headlight? I don't see that as an option on the Cycle Sidecar website. But perhaps you have never seen this rig in person...
http://www.cyclesidecar.com/showroom/rocket.html