Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Stabilizer Question

To: president@sidecar.com

hello. my name is jacob and i have just purchased a sidecar for my iron883 harley-davidson. i'm researching steering stabilizers and i found one that the company replied to me as a good choice for sidecar. although i have seen many stabilizers used with sidecars, most of them attach to the front arm and either crash bar or forks, none were like the one i found on ebay. my question is if this really matters where the stabilizer attach? the one on ebay seems ok but i want to make sure. im sending a photo of my bike and link with ebay stabilizer that has youtube video illustrating a performance of their stabilizer.

thank you

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steering-Damper-Stabilizer-2004-Harley-Sportster-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5d2ec9cd91QQitemZ400216935825QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1105wt_941

Attached files

Hi Joyce,

Most of the time we try and adjust the alignment on the sidecar so that you do not need a damper, First make sure that the mounts are good and solding with out any flex, then check the toe in. Toe in depends on what sidecar you are running. You might try changing the toe an 1/8 of an inch either way to see if it helps. Some times switching to a sidecar type tire on the front helps. Avon makes the sidecar triple duty in the 3.50 19 size.
If you do end up needing a damper, most dampers for two wheel use are not strong enough for sidecar use. The most popular damper for sidecar use is a VW beettle damper for which you can spend a bunch more money for and get in in a Harley box as this is also what Harley uses.
We make a damper kit for your bike $200. It attaches to both heads on the left side of the engine and then clamps to the fork and comes with a VW damper. Another very popular way to attach the damper is to a tab on the upper front strut to the sidecar.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

The Ebay damper you found is the one I am using. I have a picture of it on my bike ( 2008 Harley Street Bob ) in my album > Lance65 <

It seems OK to me . I watched the video before I bought it . Thats what sold me .

Joyce - 7/5/2011 2:32 PM

hello. my name is jacob and i have just purchased a sidecar for my iron883 harley-davidson. i'm researching steering stabilizers ...

Jacob, we too researched dampers soon after installing a sidecar on our 2002 XL883R. Eventually decided against the damper after headshake was reduced by 3 adjustments: tweaking the alignment, tightening the steering head bearings a little and increasing the front tire pressure to 39lbs. The headshake did not go away, only noticeable at about 20+/-mph.

A couple of years later we installed 5 degree "raked" triple tree which eliminated all headshake and made the rig much easier, and more fun, to drive.

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300