Notifications
Clear all

Source for linear actuator for Formula II Motorvation

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hdgypsyman)
Topic starter

I had Motorvation Engineering mount a used Formula II sidecar onto my 2011 Ultra Road Glide last October.  When they sent me an email that it was ready to be picked up, they stated that the upgrade for electric lean was complete except the linear actuator was not available yet and that they would ship it later so I could bolt it in place and complete the installation.  With the recent bankruptcy of Motorvation, that is not going to happen.  Does someone have a good source for a linear actuator that would bolt in to my existing Formula II?  It's all prepped for the piece with a straight metal bar now bolted in place of where the actuator would sit.  Even the switch and wiring are in place.  I am out the money that I paid Motorvation for the actuator.  I can't do much about that, but I would like to complete the installation as I originally intended with the camber control.  Any help would be appreciated.  

Posted : April 10, 2020 2:18 am
(@Anonymous)

I thought I had pictures of the linear actuator on my Formula I (I sold the rig 4 years ago).  Maybe someone who has a Motorvation Formula can take a picture of the one on their rig and you can take the picture to an industrial supply place.  It would be good to have the numbers off the one that they used as well as the length of the stroke.  Those details should get you what you need.

Will Short

Posted : April 10, 2020 5:34 am
(@don)

I have a Formula II, though I'm not sure what the linear actuator is.  Is it the lever that bolts to the left side splined end of the torsion bar?  I could snap a picture and do some measuring if that would be of assistance.

Posted : April 10, 2020 8:50 am
(@hdgypsyman)
Topic starter

The Linear actuator is the push-pull device that is mounted on the frame of the sidecar and moves when electrical current is introduced through a switch. On the Formula II it would be mounted on the frame of the sidecar in between the bike and the sidecar.  It would be attached to a lever that when moved, would cause the sidecar wheel to lift or lower slightly to adjust the height of the sidecar.  I would need to know the full extended length and the retracted length of the unit from mounting bolt to mounting bolt in order to buy one without the specific model information from a like Motorvation unit.

Posted : April 11, 2020 1:07 am
(@aceinsav)

the actuator on my Motorvation II is a Thompson Saginaw performance pak and if you measure just the body from back of gear box to end of tube for the actuator arm it is 20" I believe that would give about 17" of travel

I hope this helps

Posted : April 11, 2020 3:49 am
(@don)

The actuator on my Motorvation Formula II looks much different than the one pictured above.  I'll get measurements from the frame mounting point to where it bolts to the lever when retracted, and when extended.

Posted : April 11, 2020 4:20 am
(@hdgypsyman)
Topic starter

AJ1200 

That's good information to have and will help me get the right unit.

Tax Man

If you can get those measurements for me that would be wonderful!  Thanks to all of your replies and help!

Posted : April 12, 2020 1:14 am
(@hdgypsyman)
Topic starter

Here is the rig that I am trying to complete.  Motorvation has the camber control built into the frame and has a "temporary" metal bar bolted in place of where the actuator will go.

Posted : April 12, 2020 1:23 am
(@hdgypsyman)
Topic starter

Front View

Posted : April 12, 2020 1:27 am
(@al-olme2)

Mike,

You can load up to 10 pictures with one post.

Posted : April 12, 2020 8:35 am
(@don)

I'm sorry about the delay in getting this information to you.   When fully retracted the frame mount is 17 inches from the bolt attaching the piston to the lever on the torsion bar.   Fully extended it measures 29 inches, a travel distance of 12 inches.

I tried to attach a picture of my actuator in a nearly retracted position, but I've never attached a picture before and I'm not sure it worked.  The outer tube was a somewhat gold color as was the piston.  Now it has weathered some.  The electric motor is attached to the rear end of the outer tube in line with the actuator, but has a larger diameter than the outer tube.  The shape of the motor is roughly square with rounded corners/edges and the case appears to be made of a cast metal.

Posted : April 20, 2020 4:29 am
(@don)

I'm sorry it took me so long to get the information  and a picture.  I was reminded to get the  measurements and a picture Saturday afternoon when I rolled the rig out of the garage for the first time this year.

Fully retracted, the distance from the frame mounting bolt to the end of the piston where it attaches to the lever on the torsion bar is 17 inches.   Fully extended, the distance is 29 inches, a travel distance of 12 inches.

My actuator has the motor attached inline to the end of the outer tube.  The motor case appears to be cast metal, roughly square in shape with rounded corners.

Posted : April 20, 2020 4:53 am
(@hdgypsyman)
Topic starter

Tax Man

Thank you for those specs.  I have contacted Motion Industries who are a distributor for Thompson Saginaw linear actuators and I will attempt to order one through them.

Posted : April 20, 2020 5:11 pm