USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

WE ARE NOT ASKING FOR GIFT CARDS. IF YOU RECEIVE AN EMAIL TO THAT EFFECT, IT DID NOT COME FROM THE USCA. IT IS A PHISHING SCAM. DO NOT REPLY!

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Source for linear actuator for Formula II Motorvation

I had Motorvation Engineering mount a used Formula II sidecar onto my 2011 Ultra Road Glide last October.  When they sent me an email that it was ready to be picked up, they stated that the upgrade for electric lean was complete except the linear actuator was not available yet and that they would ship it later so I could bolt it in place and complete the installation.  With the recent bankruptcy of Motorvation, that is not going to happen.  Does someone have a good source for a linear actuator that would bolt in to my existing Formula II?  It's all prepped for the piece with a straight metal bar now bolted in place of where the actuator would sit.  Even the switch and wiring are in place.  I am out the money that I paid Motorvation for the actuator.  I can't do much about that, but I would like to complete the installation as I originally intended with the camber control.  Any help would be appreciated.  

I thought I had pictures of the linear actuator on my Formula I (I sold the rig 4 years ago).  Maybe someone who has a Motorvation Formula can take a picture of the one on their rig and you can take the picture to an industrial supply place.  It would be good to have the numbers off the one that they used as well as the length of the stroke.  Those details should get you what you need.

Will Short

I have a Formula II, though I'm not sure what the linear actuator is.  Is it the lever that bolts to the left side splined end of the torsion bar?  I could snap a picture and do some measuring if that would be of assistance.

The Linear actuator is the push-pull device that is mounted on the frame of the sidecar and moves when electrical current is introduced through a switch. On the Formula II it would be mounted on the frame of the sidecar in between the bike and the sidecar.  It would be attached to a lever that when moved, would cause the sidecar wheel to lift or lower slightly to adjust the height of the sidecar.  I would need to know the full extended length and the retracted length of the unit from mounting bolt to mounting bolt in order to buy one without the specific model information from a like Motorvation unit.

Uploaded files:
  • linear-actuator.jpg

the actuator on my Motorvation II is a Thompson Saginaw performance pak and if you measure just the body from back of gear box to end of tube for the actuator arm it is 20" I believe that would give about 17" of travel

I hope this helps

97 1500 SE Motorvation II sidecar USCA # 8913 Double Dark Side # 1522 Goodyear Fuel max 175/60 R16 PILOT ACTIV 130/70 18

The actuator on my Motorvation Formula II looks much different than the one pictured above.  I'll get measurements from the frame mounting point to where it bolts to the lever when retracted, and when extended.

AJ1200 

That's good information to have and will help me get the right unit.

Tax Man

If you can get those measurements for me that would be wonderful!  Thanks to all of your replies and help!

Here is the rig that I am trying to complete.  Motorvation has the camber control built into the frame and has a "temporary" metal bar bolted in place of where the actuator will go.

Uploaded files:
  • Motorvation-Formula-II-Sidecar3.jpg

Front View

Uploaded files:
  • Motorvation-Formula-II-Sidecar2-2mp.jpg

Mike,

You can load up to 10 pictures with one post.

Al Olme Minneapolis, Minnesota