Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

SoCal/IE riders?

picking up my first sidecar this weekend and was wondering if anyone close to Corona would like to meet up. I've never driven a sidecar and would like to maybe ride with someone who has experience. Not looking for an instructor, just someone who wants to share their sidecar experience
Would like to eventually set up scheduled rides over the summer and take the family out.
Thanks!

Congratulations on your new rig. Please do not be offended, but unless you have taken a sidecar training class, I strongly recommend you get a 2nd edition copy of Driving a Sidecar Outfit - (WhiteHorse Press) and, checking out the free information here: http://sidecar.com/links3.asp.

There is an actual sidecar club in So Cal, Some very nice and active members. check them out at: http://socalsidecarclub.com/

Sidecar driving is NOT the same as solo biking.. Please be very sure of your skills before transporting your loved ones.

Once you get the hang of it, I think you will find driving a sidecar great fun. You will also find that your trips take longer, because many will want to talk to you about the sidecar.

Good luck, enjoy the learning, and drive safe.

gail

thanks Gail,
I have read the book (twice) =) and have set up the rig as safely as possible without going to a leading link fork. I will definitely practice all of the skills in the book before I put my family in the car.

Hey, b5:
That is so cool. I swear by that yellow book. That's the way I learned, and after 10,000 miles I had a chance to take the Advanced training class, and found that I was doin' it right! LOL... I have over 50,000 miles on my current rig, and I still keep practicing. ... Somedays I wish I had leading links. 🙂

Maybe we'll see you at the Griffith Park Sidecar Rally.
Drive Safe,
g

I live in Lake Elsinore and have been riding motorcycles with sidecars over twenty years and would be willing to help you learn to ride safely. I currently have three sidecars, one with a leading link front-end.
A leading links big advantage is that it eliminates most of the pull on the handlebars to the right due to drag of the sidecar wheel. It can really help save your arms, shoulders and back on an extended trips. I've ridden well over 100k miles on sidecars with and without a leading link. Sidecars are fun and enjoyable to ride as long as you keep your eyes open slow way down heading into right turns and remember the life you carry with you relies on you to return safely.

Thanks Slideways,
I purposely bought a sidecar which is not rated to go on freeways in order to resist the temptation to take it any faster than 55-60mph. To be honest, it's a bit of a trial for me. My wife is not too happy about attaching a huge anchor to the side of a bike which she likes the looks of. She would prefer I keep the bike just the way it is (mild cafe style) and not add the sidecar. She has told me she probably won't ride in it. I got the sidecar to take my kids around because they are on opposite school tracks and I will have a kid home for 4 months in the summer, and there is no way I am going to stay off my bike on my days off. That said, I look forward to learning new skills safely and welcome yours, and anyone else's input. Maybe we can meet at Tom's Farms one of these weekends.