Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Smaller Hack Wheel

I'm currently running a 13" x 5" wheel on my GL1100/Auburn Gemini (Similar to Texas TwinStar) rig. I'm thinking of reducing the wheel to a 12" x 4" to help lower the tub and to give me more room for a possible electic lean in the future. I'll need to realign the hack, for sure, but are there any other issues I'm introducing that I need to consider?

I found a pretty decent wheel/tire combo online. Are these reasonable specifications for a hack wheel/tire?

•Rim dimensions: 12" diameter x 4" wide
•Bolt pattern: 4 on 4"
•Wheel capacity: 1,220 lbs at 80 psi
•Wheel bolt size: 1/2"-20
•Pilot diameter: 2.80"
•Tire size: ST145R12
?Section width: 5.7"
?Outer diameter: 21.3"
•Tire capacity:
?Load range: D
?Ply rating: 8
?Maximum load: 1,220 lbs at 80 psi

It sould not cause you any problem to change. I have never seen a Gemini with a disk brake, if it did have one you would have to worry about the rim fitting over the brake. If you do want to add a brake we make a hub that is a 4 on 4 for use with a trailer type wheel like is used on our Kenna sidecars. We can supply the hub, rotor, weld on mount for the calipar, the calipar, brake hoses and quick disconects.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
jay@dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

The only negative I can think of is a rougher ride over bumps, because of smaller diameter and stiffer side wall.

Thanks for the comments. Any preference for radial or bias ply? Radial is a bit softer sidewall as I understand, but please educate me if that's a bad choice.

I would go with the radial, Your passenger will have a nicer ride.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

HELLO: Like yoiu did, have 13" wheel/tire on my sidecar [12 yrs.-145R13] really rare/hard to find in US! GOOD LUCK with 12" wheel/tire; you should have no problem finding this size tire when needed. ONE TIP I might offer: Watch right road shoulder very closely! Twice recently in 2 years, swung right on country roads to clear vehicle making left turn & hit notch in road edge, instantly blowing hack tire out! Truly hope you NEVER have this nasty experioence! [carry a 2nd tire along now!]
TTFN & RIDE SAFE ....Old Tom aka papasmurf

Thanks for pointing that out, Tom. I didn't know that 13" was an odd ball size and that I'd have greater luck finding a 12" out on the road should I need a replacement.

OldSchool_IsCool - 10/1/2012 9:13 AM Thanks for pointing that out, Tom. I didn't know that 13" was an odd ball size and that I'd have greater luck finding a 12" out on the road should I need a replacement.

The 13" by 145 is rare. a 155 or 165 by 13 is very common. I buy my 155's at Walmart.