Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

smaller diameter tire on friendship?

does anyone know if a smaller diameter tire on my friendship sidecar.help with carlifting in hard right hand turns? its attached to 1993 gold wing and car seams to sit higher than bike.any help would be apprecieated,just bought rig 2 weeks ago and am new to this.george.ps seems preveus owner road this with no air in shock must have compreser disconected.

Two things will keep the car from lifting in right hand turns. Slower speeds and ballast weight in the sidecar. The '93 GL is n 850# plus bike without the rider. The FS I and FS II weigh about 180# plus. A nice ground weight ratio balance is around 2/3rds bike weight to 1/3rd sidecar weight.
Try adding 100# of ballast in the rear of the car and see how that works.

Lonnie

my CF1 car is lowered and on a 430lb bike,.155/60/13 tire,...I run a full size truck battery behind the seat and a full med size tool box( full) in the toe of the car,..with or without my 60lb daughter, it tracks well, or my 90lb wife on bike or not, ..the flat bottom car tire also helps to keep the car on the ground,...but that's another story all together,hehe.. ....Lonnie is well seasoned and knows the value of good ballast and good car set-up .....ride safe, crawf.

You did not say which suspention your sidecar has, Older F1 sidecars have torrsion bar suspention, Lost of issues with this however if that is the case, you can loosen two pinch bolts on the swing arm to lower the sidecar, You then of course need to readjust every thing on the mounts for the sidecar to sit level. If your sidecar is a newer sidecar and has the electric trim make sure that when it was set up it was in the all the way down positions. If not lower the sidecar and as above remout every thing for a level sidecar. Yes, a smaller tire would help with cornering however it is only as it would cause the bike to lean to the right adding its weight to the sidecar. This would be a bad idea. You have a big heavy bike and a very light sidecar, Ballist is helpfull, you can also mount it wider. It also sounds like you more then likley have little sidecar saddle time. Take a class http://www.esc.org this will help a lot. There is also a real good book out "Driving a sidecar outfit" which sells for $34.95 most places. With saddle time you may find that your set up is fine. Keep balist as close to the axle as you can and NOT IN THE FRONT OF THE SIDECAR as with the ballist in the front it makes the bike want to fall over to the sidecar side, kind of like taking the right front tire off of your car. This is all covered both in school and in the book.
Jay G
DMC Sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30