Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sleepless in Tampa- to add a sidecar to my Nightster or get a complete rig?

Greetings, all. I have been lurking here a few weeks as a non-hacker who is very serious about a sidecar... I was hoping what I read would help with some very important decisions I need to make, but am still uncertain, so thought I'd throw a Hail Mary.

I have an '07 HD Sportster XLN (the Nightster, a 1200) that I own outright. After riding Beemers and a Ducati, I was contemplating a Bonneville, but went for the Nightster not only for the retro look and lack of chrome. I am pleased with the bike.

My question- to add a hack or sell the HD & buy a rig someone else has put together? If I add my own, I really like the Spyder and the options to set it up with a Nightster fender, wheel, & paint etc... I do not have an unlimited budget, so not sure worth the shipping or whom I could have install here in Tampa (I am a basic wrencher, but not on that level) since I cannot seem to find anyone on the Florida list of retailers/installers who mention the Spyder.I like the retro, minimalist look of the Spyder - I see some Velorexes that are minimalist as well, but not sure as many options for the $$? Not sure what to do... I know this is very subjective but any & all recommendations appreciated.

Cheers,

Beth

The Velorex 563 is a good choice for the $$$.
Unlike the Spyder they come with all factory options. No page full of extra cost stuff.
They are well made and above "minimalist" in looks and quality.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars.

Beth:
The nightster is a clean-looking scoot.....shorter wheelbase and fairly -low profile.....if you were to marry that to a car....i'd find the TEXAS "ranger" to be a better style match than the spyder. You know, thats always a subjective thing, you see the nightster as a classic cruiser, in the same genre' as a '75 Beemer....i see it as a contemporary stealth fighter. I just feel a lower profile tub would be slick-lookin'.
In any event, welcome to 3 wheeling...it's the only way to fly..!
Leo

You should run a subframe. The late model sportsters need additional support for the lower rear mount. Lonnie?

The rubbermount Sportys are lacking in rear mount attachment points and will need a design part, or parts, for mounting the Velorex cars. The universal mount kit alone won't do it. Foot controls placement varies with models sometimes causing clearance problems that must also be addressed.
Velorex does not offer bike specific mount sets.
Other MFG'rs. that have bike specific mount sets may have their own sub-frame bracketry.

Lonnie

Beth,

Drop me a e-mail or a call and I may be able to help. I am just across the bay in Largo. I know a good shop here that can do the work. I ride a Honda 1100 with a Velorex 565

e-mail rmm4479@msn.com
cell 727-946-5262

Hi Beth:

We are well pleased with our Texas Ranger mounted on our '02 883R Sportster. Attached is a photo for a look-see. While looking around the 'net on a rainy day, I see a slightly used Texas sidecar for sale over in Southern Alabama:

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2006-HONDA-TEXAS-SIDECAR-only-94116324

2006 HONDA TEXAS SIDECAR only, 2006 TEXAS SIDECAR NEW...NEW ...CAME OFF OF A 2006 VTX 1300 WITH ONLY 1010 MILES!!! LOOK AT THE TEXAS SIDECAR WEBSITE TO SEE THE ITEM AND KNOW THAT IT CAME OFF OF A 2006 HONDA VTX 1300. . . . CALL BILL AT (866)586-7167 FOR DETAILS.

Good luch with your search,
Lee

Attached files

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

Swampy Hey:

That is a great-lookin' combo. The windshield is just right. Very nice lines.
Leo

Thanks so much for all the suggestions... Lee, I like the Texas Ranger on your Sportie and agree with Richard, the windshield/screen is spot on. If anyone else has experience/pics with Sportsters, any info is appreciated. I hope to talk to the local shop Richard uses in or area and start there.

Thanks again, all.

Beth

Credit for the windshield goes to Bob & Deb at Texas Sidecars. Jena didn't like looking thru the "stock" windshield so Bob & Deb suggested the shorter shield. Jena now looks over the shield; it works great with her helmet w/face shield as airflow is out of her eyes but across the top of her helmet, sorta like an Indy car.

But we haven't yet progessed to a cool paint scheme like Leo's rig.

BTW, Beth: The wide handlebar & mid-controls of the Nightster work well for sidecar use.

Attached is another view of our rig from our S/TEP class a few weeks ago. IIRC, this is the pass where I would have crashed the sidecar into the SUV represented by the cones. Glad it happened on the range rather than the road.

Attached files

Lee / Summer Grove, Louisiana: Ural cT, CJ750, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L, GTV300

I sent a email to you
I trust there are more experienced Hackers with great suggestions..I know they helped me!

Originally written by Hack'n on 11/28/2008 5:56 PM

The rubbermount Sportys are lacking in rear mount attachment points and will need a design part, or parts, for mounting the Velorex cars. The universal mount kit alone won't do it. Foot controls placement varies with models sometimes causing clearance problems that must also be addressed.
Velorex does not offer bike specific mount sets.
Other MFG'rs. that have bike specific mount sets may have their own sub-frame bracketry.

Lonnie

Not sure about the Nightster but it probably is th esame as the other later model sportsters in that the lower rear frame area is not as strong as it looks. A friend who has worked for th emotor company for many years tipped us off to this just before we were going to mount a hack to a , i think, '06 sportster. If you look close you will se what appears to be a pretty massive casting but in reality it is a thinner walled investment casting that has little chance of beaing more weight than it was intended for. A good subframe will take care of this. Also on rubber mount engine type bike room for the enging to move must be considered when mounting a sidecar.
Richard if you mention this issue with the casting to the guy you were referring Beth to it may be a good thing. If we had not been tipped off on it we could have possibly missed it and made a pretty big blunder.

Thanks so much - I appreciate all the input, everyone. I plan to sign up for the sidecar safey class in Clearwater as soon as I can and explore all options!

Beth,

School is a good move I passed the info on to the shop we talked about so they will be ready when you are. In Fla once a year we have a rally built around sidecars, you don’t have to have one. Hope to see you there see link below.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/Yllcome/