Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecars In The Rain

Planning an eight hundred mile weekend trip and it looks like I'll be wet. What can I expect from my rig in the rain?

You will get wet but you won't fall down. How is that for obvious. We have ridden in blinding rain for 4 or 5 hours getting from here to the Duluth rally. The sidecar took on water and I have rust on tools that I carried under the seat but we dried out. In the words of a taxi driver in Sitka Alaska "The human skin is waterproof". (If you have been to SE Alaska you will understand.) That doesn't mean you won't be miserable while riding - but you will survive. I much prefer sidecaring in the rain than 2 wheels in the rain. We did that one day in MT. We rode most of the distance across Montana in similar conditions at 38 degrees. It make a good story but I don't need to repeat the experience.

Keep in mind, there is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

All the above is true but what I expect you are asking is, "What do I need to know about driving in the rain?"

The answer is pretty simple. Your stopping distances will be longer and in general you may have reduced traction. It boils down to being the same as driving a car in the rain. It's no big deal but you need to be a little extra cautious. Also, I suggest that you pack in sealed plastic bags inside your luggage and trunk. We rode a full day in heavy rain on a trip to Nova Scotia. We survived with no issues but everything we had was wet, including our "dry" clothes.

Thanks Al, that is what I was asking.

Slim, one more thing while it is on my mind. Rain-X has a relatively new product on the market made for plastic, like your windshield and your face shield. Works like a dream after three light coats. (I won't tell you how badly it works if you leave in home in the garage)

jaydmc - 8/17/2016 3:19 PM

Keep in mind, there is no bad weather, only bad clothing.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay, that's exactly what my German friend Big George used to say!! Apparently a common phrase for riders in Germany. Not so common here in the US.

My Norwegian relatives told me this. Having ridden year round in the Seattle area, I have learned to welcome the rain at least in the winter time as it is much nicer then that white stuff that falls from the sky's that I also use to ride in as I went 7 years when the only time I ever drove a car to work was if I needed to service my wife's car.
Jay G
DMC sidecars

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Last comment from my sister on our departure:
How do you recognise it is summer in Northern Germany?
The puddles are not frozen!

--------
Comments:
normal rain x...it will not help much under 60kmh 36mph. It needs speed to blow off the drops
Goretex helps a lot but has its limits.
On the Ural sidecar...tip: sit on the bike... the companion in the sidecar will be sitting in the water so even Pampers do not help. /strange MZ and Velorex s/c do not have that effect.

Jupp. a rig in rain is no trouble, while solo in the rain will give easily creeping hairs in the neck.
Sven

Get a water proof roll top bag. I bought one to use on RFTW in 2008. I also bought the straps to secure it to the bike... It's not cheap but dry clothes at the end of a wet day are invaluable..

http://www.helen2wheels.com/

2009 Yamaha Venture with Hannigan Hack 1999 Valkyrie IS 2006 Goldwing 2021 Ram 3500/6.7HO