Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecars from 1sidecar.com in Texas

Looking at sidecars to attach to my 1947 Indian Chief or to my 1982 Yamaha XJ650J.  Might build my own, but the sidecars from this importer are reasonably priced.  Does anyone have one or know anything about them?  http://www.1sidecar.com  

Looking at item 011 for the extra hip width.

Thanks for any info.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.

Please read this with care!  It is an opinion.  You'll hear others.

It is really odd to have a new sidecar seller pop up fully formed and with a complete product line.  That's a clear indication that they are not builders but rather importers. I have no direct information on this seller BUT... Read the "About" page.  It was lifter from a land developer site, maybe the same folks, I don't know. In addition, the "Terms of Service" are cut and pasted from other sites without regard to repetition or conflicts.  The terms about personal information are simply saying that they will take responsibility for your information, not that they won't pass it on or sell it. Anyway, the page makes no sense as it's written.  I'm ALWAYS suspicious of anyone who says their product fits "all motorcycles".  All that said, some of the designs are interesting but I'd have to go to their facility and see what they actually have on hand before I'd buy.  It would be good to know where their products are made and who stands behind the warranty [if any].

I appreciate that everyone has the right to their own beliefs. One of my favorite builders here in the US is Claude Stanley from Freedom Sidecars and he is a firm believer in his relationship with his God but he doesn't write it in his ads. Unlike Claude, who is a straight shooter, in the past some devious folks have hidden behind religious beliefs.  I'm not saying these are bad people in any way. I'm saying that it would be wise to proceed with caution.

A

Deleted user, 1bmwmc and 2 other users have reacted to this post.
Deleted user1bmwmcThane LewisLarry M and Dixie Gibson

I appreciate the feedback.  I noticed a lot of the same things you mentioned.  I called and talked to the proprietor today.  I feel better, but I am going to make a trip to the establishment to look at the products before making any purchase.  I thought this might be a good forum to inquire about it to.

I have thousands of miles experience on the Indian and several other more modern bikes; but, I have zero sidecar experience.

He did admit this is a side business. I don't mind that, I just want a sidecar that I can install and maintain without breaking the bank.

Larry G.

Larry,

The downfall of many sidecars of questionable origin is the mounts.  "Universal" mount seldom really fit anything and end up using clamps that will slip and change the alignment of the rig.  There are good clamps and bad ones, in general clamps that accept the mounting arms at a big angle [90 degrees] to the clamp will slip.

Things we have noticed on low quality sidecars are:

-Rust and/or poor paint jobs
-Questionable welding
-Wheel bearings that are of poor quality and are loose from the start [Grab the wheel at 3 and 9 and wiggle it.  There should be almost no play in that direction.
-Missing parts that are promised to follow as soon as they come from the manufacturer.
-Non-DOT tires or tires that are very old.  Look on the net for how to read the tire date codes.  Non-DOT tires are illegal in the US but we see them on foreign built sidecars frequently.  They are supposed to be stopped by customs but some get through.
-A lack of expertise on the part of the seller.  Can he do the mounting and will he give you an hours or two of lessons before he lets you out the door?  Driving a rig is ABSOLUTELY unlike your many miles on a motorcycle.  You have to unlearn a lot of two wheel habits.
- Who carries the guaranty on the sidecar?
- Does the dealer have liability insurance?

Good luck!  I really hope you've found a new dealer with all the right knowledge and qualifications.  We need more sidecar dealers and more sidecar drivers. Oh, about the side business thing.  It's really hard to make a living selling sidecars, the volumes are low and the liability is high.  Having a dealer that does more than one thing isn't uncommon.  There are probably less that half a dozen full time sidecar dealers.

A

Larry M and Dixie Gibson has reacted to this post.
Larry M and Dixie Gibson

Thanks for feedback. I seriously thought about building my own sidecar, maybe using plans or pre-cut frame kit from Florida sidecars. I have an extra 1947 Indian wheel and rear fender. I work part time in a welding/metalworking shop and I have a son who could build the body from wood. After considering many possibilities, I thought for $2200, I could get a brand new “crappy” sidecar and fix whatever needs fixed for a lot less time and maybe the same amount of money. 
Larry G.

You would be money ahead not to purchase the sidecar. Most everything is going to be far to light duty to work with your bikes. These look like the sidecars from India (see the post on saferwholesale)

If you do want to build your own sidecar we can help with bits and pieces however right now you can only contact us via email as due to wild fires we have no phones or internet, I am driving into town daily with a lap top and parking at McDonalds to use their wifi.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

http://www.dmcsidecars.com

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay that's sad to hear, hopefully the wild fires are not to close to you. 

Next town over is evacuated, looks like the fires burning the town down were intentionally  set. Nearest fire is about 5 miles away, we should be ok. Phones and internet are now working for the first time this week.

For me these low quality, low priced sidecars out of India are a bit of a sore point, while they will work for some it you make or buy better hardware they still should only be used on small bikes. Some do not even have wheel bearings, instead bushings. The sore point is regularly I get phone calls after people have purchased the sidecar and have gotten no product support to make it work. Usually these are people on a fixed income that spent every penny they have to buy the sidecar and usually there is no chance of making it safe on what ever bike they have short of an entire rebuild of the sidecar. Usually I have to recommend selling the sidecar to recoup as much money as they can. Then start looking for a used sidecar telling them before they even look at a used sidecar contact me for advise on the sidecar they are interested in. Some used sidecars may also not work well on their bikes, some by the time you make them safe are not a good deal. Others mounting hardware can be an issue. We can help with most sidecars but not with Harley brand sidecars. Pretty sure the company in question is a relaunch of an earlier version of the company by a relative of the people in India that build these. If it is, having spoken with them they fundamentally do not understand the safety issue with these sidecars on large bikes being used on roads in the USA and at the speeds we travel.

Do not however confuse these sidecars with the Cozy sold by cyclesidecar.com Kevin the owner will tell you up front if it is not going to be a safe match. I met Kevin once about 22 years ago and have been working with the company off and on sense. While it is a business, like us he will not sacrifice safety to make a sale. He is in it for the long haul.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

Big Tom has reacted to this post.
Big Tom
Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Jay, glad ever thing is OK, keep safe.

I knew it was only a matter of time until I started getting calls about hardware to mount these sidecars that "fit all motorcycles" They sold one to go onto a BMW R1200GS which of course is way to heavy, tall and power full for these light duty sidecars. And of course the "universal" mounts which they charge extra for and are the only way to get the struts are for a bike with a tube frame. For those who do not know the BMW GS the engine and transmission are essentially the frame. Yes I suppose you could use one of their clamps around the seat sub frame for the upper rear but that is all. The person first wanted me over the phone to tell him how to attach the sidecar to his bike,  from what we could over hear from a person in the background  had no intensions of buying any hardware, then both over the phone and in two follow up emails wanted photo's of our mounts while he did not come right out and say it, I was speaking with his neighbor the "welder fabricator" they in essence wanted me to show them how to build everything. While I do not mind helping if some thing is going to be safe, at the end of the day giving away designs is not a great way to stay in business this is why we seldom post photo's of just our mounts. I do find it interesting some of the marketing 1sidecar is doing at the top of the page is "Jesus is King" and the first sidecar they show is done up in an American flag motif with lettering that say's "these colors never run" to sell a sidecar made in India.

I did offer help to mount the sidecar onto a much smaller lighter bike but did recommend up grading the lower mounts like shown in this article. http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-and-the-proper-fix/

Jay G
DMC sidecars

866-638-1793

http://www.dmcsidecars.com 

Jay, I would be very careful about trying to help someone fabricate a mount to one of these sidecars. Next thing you know you'll be named in a lawsuit when things don't go as planned and someone is injured.

It is getting so bad that you are afraid of tell people how to do it. All you have to do it is ask Home Depot, They being though this. None of there help is suppose to tell you how to do it. They are not the only ones. It's a fine line. 

This photo says it all. These flimsy clamps are simply DANGEROUS. At the end the manufacturer is mentioned. Inder...

We have had over the years enough complaints about this brand here and in the german forum.

The only thing I would like to test ride is the 1 wheel trailer on my son's Royal Enfield.

Thane Lewis has reacted to this post.
Thane Lewis

Thanks to all for the feedback.  Not looking at this any more.  Got a used Velorex from another member closer to home.

Larry G.