Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecar wheel bearings

I have a 2004 Honda Shadow with a Texas Easyrider sidecar. I was out riding over the weekend and it was making some weird noise. I pulled over to take a look at the tire on the side car. The tire was completely off of the rod that it slides onto. I was told I need new bearings but I'm having trouble finding someone that will fix this for me. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this or what to do? I'd appreciate any info that I can get. I need to get this fixed asap so I can get back on the road again! Thank You!!!

Attached files

If the hub is undamaged, remove any remaining outer bearing races. Obtain two sealed bearings that are a press fit into the hub and will slide over the spindle. They may be ball or Timken bearings so check bearing sources for tightening specs.

Lonnie

To get new bearings for the rig you will need three dimensions: ID, OD, and thickness. Also, insure both sets of measurements (inboard side of the wheel, and outboard are the4 same). The measurements will need to be fairly precise. Use a vernier caliper and measure to the nearest 0.001 inch if it is an inch and 0.01mm if metric.
ID of the bearing is the diameter of the axle. OD of the bearing is the size that will press into the wheel hub. Thickness is how much room there is for the bearing on each side of the wheel.
As 'Hak'n" wrote above, you must remove the race from the wheel to replace with new sealed bearings.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, I should think a qualified shop could help you out.
http://bearingsdirect.com/ is a site that I have used for replacement bearings for which I don't have manufacturers part number.

If you are uncomfortable doing this, I should think a qualified shop could help you out.

jim

2014 CB1100 Std, 2000 ST1100 with DMC Classic, 1981 CB650C

And don't forget that many sidecar wheels have a spacer tube and potentially some shims between the bearings.

Thanks everyone! I took the wheel in to a cycle shop here in Columbus. They were able to order new bearings. We're hoping to be able to fix it, but if not I have a contact that works on sidecars and I can always have him take a look at it. I think he's in Cambridge Ohio fairly close to Columbus. I'll post an update after I get it back together and let you know how it went!

Update on my sidecar tire! I went to a shop in Columbus that was recommended by the parts guy at the cycle shop. One of the guys there had the same exact rim that my tire was mounted on! I still can't believe how lucky I was in finding him! The guy is Jake Smith of Jake Smith Motorworks. He owns his own company and just finished building an old Harley.
There was an article published about it.
http://www.chopcult.com/news/articles/battie-flattie.html
Anyway, Jake came over to my house and installed the new wheel himself. I knew I wouldn't feel safe riding if I had to put it on myself so I'm glad he was able to help me out. The sidecar rides much smoother than it ever did before!