Notifications
Clear all

Sidecar wheel bearings - Advise needed

16 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@stingray)
Topic starter

I picked up my sidecar and rode under eight hours over a three day period (slow and high speeds) when I heard a high-pitched squeal coming from the sidecar wheel.  Riding an interstate about 65mph.  The fender is the only thing that held the wheel on and prevented a serious accident.  I'm not a mechanic or sidecar expert - new to the experience.  So I don't know by looking at the wheel area if something was not put on correctly - I'm going to assume it wasn't since I sat beside the road for two hours in the sun waiting on a tow.

I attached a photo.  Looking online it seems a washer and bolt should have been used along with the cotter pin.  The cotter pin stayed in place but the whole outside bearing disappeared and the wheel came off - held on slightly by the fender.

I'm hesitant to take it to the same sidecar builder because this is not the first life threatening issue I've had with their build.  First time on the initial delivery it arrived with a bent axle and they weren't even going to mention it (while I have photos of it in the shop without the axle bent - but that's a whole other story).  Second time the sidecar crash bar fell off while I was riding it about 50 mph.  Third they forgot to tighten fender bolts - one bolt was lost and the other was dragging on my tire and the tire was only had 8 psi.  These were all issues after I picked it up same day.  I think they are trying to kill me!

Anyway - has anyone seen or heard of something like this happening with the wheel bearings or can you tell by the photo if something else should have been placed over the bearings to keep the wheel in place.  Trying to find a second builder/mechanic to get a second opinion on the status of my sidecar.  I can supply other photos if needed.  Any help appreciated!

Posted : August 6, 2019 11:48 am
(@don)

In my experience, axle spindles are usually threaded.  A large washer goes on next to the outer wheel bearing, followed by a castellated nut, and then a cotter pin goes into one of the notches in the nut and through a hole in the spindle and out the other side of the spindle into a notch in the castellated nut so that the nut cannot come off the threads on the spindle.  Your description would seem to be somewhat different.  I couldn't open the attached picture in the uploaded files to see what it looks like.

Hopefully, the bearing wasn't out long enough to wear the hub of the wheel enough to keep the new bearing's outer race from fitting snugly in the hub.

I've never had a wheel come off the sidecar, though I have had a bearing go out and the wheel no longer be vertical or nearly vertical.

Posted : August 6, 2019 1:16 pm
CCjon
(@jan-2)

Lucinda, tell us where  you are so we can recommend a competent sidecar mechanic/builder.

In trying to open the photo, got a message saying the file in empty?????

Posted : August 6, 2019 1:43 pm
(@valkrider)

I don't see the picture either. Curious what brand of sidecar you own.   There are unfortunately some bad players out there quite willing to sell un-dependable and even dangerous stuff.

Posted : August 7, 2019 8:18 am
(@stingray)
Topic starter

Sorry for the faulty photo, I've uploaded a new one to my original message above.

This is an Inder Rocket sidecar.  I'm located in DFW, but I do not want to use the vendor in Ft. Worth again.

Posted : August 7, 2019 2:59 pm
(@valkrider)

Sorry, double post

Posted : August 7, 2019 8:03 pm
(@valkrider)

That sure looks bad. It appears there is no castellated nut. Certainly the cotter pin doesn't appear to be going through one. And the axle is hollow? I've read that an Inder hack would be for a very small bike ( 250cc) even a scooter but I'm far from knowledgeable.  Someone who actually knows what their talking about will be along soon.

Posted : August 7, 2019 8:13 pm
(@stingray)
Topic starter

Thanks Valkrider.  From what I've researched and see visually on my wheel is there was no castellated nut and no washer - which would have at least kept the wheel on even if the bearing was destroyed.  I bought the Inder from a gentleman who had the frame modified to work with heavy bikes and for higher speeds, more like how we ride in the U.S.  Unfortunately I can only learn as I go because I have no builder experience.

Any information will help me - I REALLY appreciate any and all advisement.  I was working with a company that has been in business since 1968 but it appears the person that took over there does very little to ensure their work is inspected and/or top notch.  I can't tell you how many things have been left partially done (or just fell off!) and I had to figure it out on my own with no experience.  You have to have a level of trust when you don't know all the ins and outs yet and this place has really failed me (and almost killed me).

There are other end results of the sidecar installation that make me concerned just logically but will need a second opinion.

Posted : August 8, 2019 4:21 am
(@don)

Thank you for the picture.  I don't know where you'd put a bolt.  I doubt the hollow axle is threaded for a bolt, and if it was threaded the cotter pin would prevent you from screwing a bolt in very far.  It appears to me the washer and cotter pin are what hold the wheel hub on the axle, so you must have lost the cotter pin and washer for the wheel to slide out enough for the tire to hit the fender.   This looks more like the bearing arrangement for a lawn mower.

Posted : August 8, 2019 4:27 am
(@stingray)
Topic starter

Thanks Tax Man.  Just wondering if the builder should have looked at the setup and recommended something secure.  It doesn't sound like the method he took with just a cotter pin was a good one for keeping the wheel on.

Posted : August 8, 2019 5:09 am
(@Anonymous)

I can't see from the picture if the axle is threaded.  My experience is that there is usually a large castellated nut that threads on to the axle.  A large washer would go behind it and the cotter pin would would keep the large nut from undoing itself.  The large nut is a specialty item that would match the axle and would likely only be available from Inder.  I may be repeating other peoples response but what I see and what you are saying sounds all too familiar.  Others have done what you have done and got similar results with Inder sidecars.  Sorry to say there are unscrupulous individuals out there who have imported and sold these sidecars to other innocent buyers.  As ex-president of the USCA I have fielded calls and responded to emails from reputable installers who have been presented with a pile of sidecar attachment parts that didn't fit anything and were asked to make it work.  I wish I could soften the blow here but I can only say I feel sorry for you and the others who have been suckered by these shysters.

Hang in there.  We are here to help.

Will Short

Ex-President USCA

Posted : August 8, 2019 7:45 am
(@cozy-sidecars)

Something is wrong - VERY wrong. It would be nice to see a few more pictures of the axle etc. That is NOT how an Inder comes from the factory - at least the original Inder.  I probably have the more experience with Inder's than most and Al asked me to jump in.

I imported a container years ago as a potentially less expensive substitute for the Cozy's that I sell. I visited the family factory in India and thought I'd try them out. I had nothing but trouble with them. - Rather my customers had trouble. I have had all but ZERO trouble with the Cozy's in over 20 years so the extra cost to me for a  Cozy is well worth it.  The final straw was when I sold one to Jay Leno who has been a good Cozy sidecar customer. He was very unhappy with the Inder. He told me that thankfully it was him that complained since we knew each other and that it would stay between us.  That was the last Inder I ever sold. (Gave him a free Cozy as a replacement and learned a valuable lesson).

Below is a link to an Inder video that will show you  that your setup is just plain dangerous and wrong. It is not what the original Inder had in mind. The original Inder's had a castle nut, threaded axle and a Cotter pin.  Go to 2:30  https://youtu.be/KuWgLFkQNyo

I have heard tales of customers buying from somewhere in Texas and Oklahoma and Florida who are getting incomplete or damaged goods, missing parts etc. but don't know which companies those are. I also don't know who came up with this flagrantly dangerous system. I sure would hope that whoever sold you this wheel set-up carries product liability insurance because sooner rather than later they will need it. Someone is going to be dead or injured. I am happy that it was not you.

Posted : August 8, 2019 1:41 pm
(@valkrider)

The linked video is less than 5 minutes long. Perhaps you meant 2:31? It does show an inder being attached including at about 2:35 a castellated nut going on the axle.

Posted : August 8, 2019 4:02 pm
(@KAmes)

I have an Inder sidecar, mine is the Retro model. Mine has the bearing, then a washer, a hex nut on the threaded axle, then a keeper with a cotter pin through it. You said it had a bent axle originally, perhaps you have a substandard repair. I had to fix a few things on mine too (not the axle), I'm happy with it now that I have it the way I want it. I know what I would do in your situation, just an idea take it at face value. I don't have the sidecar experience others here have but I can build stuff. If it were mine I would cut the axle off the swingarm, weld a flat piece of maybe 1/4 inch stock there and bolt on a regular trailer spindle from the farm supply store, and use a trailer wheel and tire. I might even buy two spindles and cut one up to get the flat plate with the holes already drilled in it. If it's like my Inder swing arm it would be really easy. You just need to be sure you trust yours or your local welding shop's work. This would take care of your damaged axle, your damaged bearings, and provide a heavier wheel, tire and bearings for your heavier motorcycle. That's my idea anyway.

Posted : August 11, 2019 2:52 pm
(@stingray)
Topic starter

Hey thanks everyone!! So the seller was actually not the problem here - they were honest about the universal parts - stating that I would need a professional to build it on my bike and might need some custom parts.  The seller has dealt with the factory for over 15 years and he buys custom weighted bodies that work with bigger bikes and interstate travel more like we use them for in the U.S.

My problem and the danger to myself came from using an installer who claimed to have extensive experience with sidecars (and Inders) - there was even a photo of one just like mine they worked with on their facebook page.  The first thing they claimed was the axle was bent - yet I have pictures of it in their shop when they were doing the final welding and it was NOT bent.  But when they delivered it to my home it was bent about 15-20 degrees and they were not even going to say anything.  When I asked if it was safe to ride it like that, their exact answer, "probably not".   We went back to the seller and he exchanged out the bent axle (and swing arm) for free.  The installer would never answer my emails or calls about how the axle got bent.  But I did get the new one put on.

Next big issue was the tire coming off.  (Lots of other small issues with them along the way that has cost me a lot of time and money).  According to all the information you guys have graciously provided, the castillated nut and washer were NEVER put on the wheel.  I just took it to a different sidecar installer this weekend and they told me the wrong bearings were used (low speed with steel versus high speed with rubber) and that there was no castillated nut or washer or the wheel would not have come off like it did.  I told them there was a strong pull to the right (which I had researched and found you might experience some).  But this pull was so strong I had to keep a constant pull with my left and push with my right to keep it going straight.  The new installer said the toe-in was off and this also could have contributed to the wheel bearings being destroyed.

At this time it appears that the actual parts weld with the new axle and swing arm are good - it's all the other parts of installing the sidecar that have gone awry - like toeing, crash bars, lights, wheel install, etc.  This place may have experience but they were totally negligent in the details of the entire install, to the point of endangering my life at least three times.

I'd be curious if you all agree with this diagnosis - just cautious now because I don't know who to trust!  And thanks for sharing the videos and photos - this has been a great help!  Hopefully my next post will be about where all the cool places are to ride! 🙂

Posted : August 11, 2019 3:39 pm
Page 1 / 2