Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecar Trainikng

I am thinking about adding a sidecar to my 78 GL1000. My wife thinks I should try it out first, she is not sure she would like riding in the car vs on back and of course doesn't want to spend money on a project that is not going to be used. So anyone taken a motorcycle sidecar training course as a test? Are there any close to Indiana? Anyone in Central Indiana that would take her for a ride?
I am open to your wisdom.

Thanks
Tony

Tony,

I live in West Central Indiana. I have ordered a side car to put on my Road Glide. Waiting for delivery.

I took the S/TEP (SideCar Trike Education Program) class when we lived back East in Virginia in 2005. At that time Operators only were allowed on their rigs. Liability waivers, etc.

It's offered by Evergreen, http://evergreenmotorcycletraining.org/sidecar-training/step-national-schedule-training-locations/.
When I took the class, the Sidecar portion paired two riders. Course time was half Grippin' and half Sittin'. The passenger experience is different, from my experience.

At my more Medicare eligible age, entry and exit would become a concern for my passengers.

My Wife has her own Trike and we are going to try to get our Golden/Cocker to tour with us.

Dave

Attached files

I just noticed the typo in the title line, I would have marked my students down for poor proofing. Like you I am approaching medicare, three more years of teaching and I am going to finished. I am near Coatesville, not to far from Pittsboro. I work with a teacher who lives there. I would be glad to help you set it up if you would like. I am not sure if adding a car to my Gl1000 or finding a rig already set up is best. I am still looking. Thanks for the Evergreen info. I checked them out but it is still early and their classes are not set up yet. Still cold, but I am looking forward to spring and riding season. I was hoping my wife would like the car better than riding on the back. She tried to get her motorcycle license, but after crashing three times in class she gave up. It is my hobby, I like getting old bikes back on the road. Some of it I think is reliving my youth and a lot is I just like motors and how these things work(science teacher). My current ride, the 78 GL sat for a long time and is now up and running and by all reports would be a good tug. I will keep looking. Let me know via email if you would like some help or just want to ride.

Thanks,
Tony

Iam 40 miles east of St Louis. I would be glad to give you a ride. We have four Harleys with sidecars.

Tony,

Sent you a PM. Check your inbox. Other than knowing someday I would be running a Hack, my experience on one has been limited to my basic S/TEP training while Elaine was taking her Trike Basic after her two wheel MSF Basic.

My current ride is a 2005 Roadglide, FLTRI Harley. Rode a 1996 Electra Glide, FLHTCI, for ten years before the newer one. Hence the 96 FL Geez.

I was one of the 'used to ride since I was a teenager till the kids came along' guy. Got back on two wheels in 2003 after a twenty year hiatus.

Thanks for the offer, St. Louis is a little far for me right now. I am still a working high school teacher and my time is limited, but come summer i might give come and check out your rides.

Thanks

You said West Central Indiana. I grew up in the Terre Haute area. Newport down to Sullivan Terre Haute to the west side of Indy is my old stomping grounds. My mother and father still live in Brazil just east of Terre Haute. He has a 2003 Road King that he purchased a sidecar for in 2007 and I installed it for him. If you have any questions... roads to travel or just want to chat drop me a line.

jared,

Pittsboro is west of the Motor Speedway by about 16 miles out US 136. What model sidecar does your father run? Always interested in meeting new folks with similar bents.

96flgeez

It's the HD factory sidecar. I would have to ask him exactly what it is. I will try and post a pic.

Attached files

When I get rigged, I'll post a few pics. Your Dad's place would make a good day trip this spring.

Dave