Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecar Rig Pulls to the Right

I have a 2007 HD Ultra with a 2009 HD sidecar. It has always pulled to the right. I consider an excessive pull. Two Harley shops tell me I have to live with it. I'm looking for a shop in the Kansas City area that can look at the rig and see if anything can be done to lessen the issue.

Have you checked the toe-in of the sidecar wheel? If its toed out it will cause a pull to the right. Also, check the bike lean, if its leaning into the sidecar, it will cause a pull to the right. The bike should be vertical or leaned away from the sidecar a little (maybe one degree). I can't help with the selection of a shop but these two things are fairly easy to check at home if you have a level garage floor or driveway.

You are on the right track looking for a different shop! The rig can only be set up not to pull at a given speed due to aerodynamic drag, set it up for the speed you usually travel at, highway speed for most people. Lower speeds it may pull to the left. But yes, your alignment is wrong, the Harley shop should know this.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

There is a member in the KC area with a similar rig. Give Frank a call 816 694-5448. I know he has been to every Harley shop there and for sure can give you a heads up on a sidecar friendly shop or maybe he can even help you.

Forget the Harley advice. Set the rig up with at least 1 degree of lean out (not lean in as they recommend).
That will take care of it.

Lonnie

I live north of the river (way north, about 70 miles). If you don't get anywhere with the locals in KC, I can help you out. You'd be surprised how well they drive when aligned with lasers instead of 2x4s's and string.

The alignment method is much more important than the choice of straightedge implements.

Lonnie

You may want to check and see if the sidecar wheel is dragging. Maybe the wheel bearing needs grease, or adjustment, or the brake is dragging. Happened to one of my rigs once and nearly drove me nuts trying to get to go down the road without pulling to the right. Good luck with it.

When I bought my 2011 ultra with an 09 sidecar it pulled hard right. My dealer set the toe in at 3/4". A foot behind the rear wheel and a foot in front the rear wheel. Then we straightened the bike up. It had been leaned in. Now it is perfect.

I find the Harley Glides work better with 1 degree of lean-out.

Lonnie

Lonnie
Do you recommend adding weight to both the sidecar and the bike equal to the rider and the car's passenger while doing the alignment, or do you just do the alignment with the empty weight?

As Harley never got around to adding suspension to the sidecar, adding weight to the sidecar before alignment makes little difference. If this were a sidecar with suspension like pretty much every other brand of sidecar for the last 70 plus years has had then you would want the sidecar loaded as it is usually used. So if most of the time you have a passenger then yes add the weight of the passenger. Lean out is set as you are more then likely working on a level floor, the road has a crown to it and you wan the bike up right out in the real world.
Harley goes with lean in as they do so with no weight on the bike, when you sit on the bike, your weight compresses the bikes suspension such that you end up with lean out if you start with lean in and an unloaded bike. How much depends on how heavy you are and how much air you have in your suspension assuming you have air shocks on the bike. Pull can be fine tuned with your air suspension however doing this your suspension will not be set ideal to work as suspension.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

I set it up with an empty rig on the Harleys with Harley sidecars.
With sidecars with suspension I preload the bike and sidecar.

Lonnie

Good to know, thanks.