Clear all

Sidecar rig into a Toy Hauler

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

Hi all,

We will be picking up our first Toy Hauler this week. Ramp is 90 inches wide and my Rig measures 82 at its widest point.

Anyone haul a hack in a toy hauler? Any tips on what to do or not do to get it in safely?

Thanks, Tom

Posted : April 13, 2021 4:18 am
(@Anonymous)

Yes!  I have a trailer not a Toy Hauler but I haul my toy(rig) on it.  I installed a 2500# version of the Harbor Freight winch at the front of my trailer.  It operates off of a 12 volt battery and has a remote control so I can walk beside the rig and tow it into place.  It does require a substantial battery to operate.  I use a garden tractor battery and recharge it after every use. I tried a motorcycle battery but it just didn't have enough oomph to pull the rig up the shallow ramp.  I imagine your ramp will be considerably steeper than mine.  Originally I thought I could sit on the bike a steer it into place but the battery wouldn't stand up to it.

Will Short

Former USCA President

Posted : April 13, 2021 5:20 am
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

I thought about a winch but where to mount it inside is a problem.

I don't think Momma will be happy with me drilling holes in the floor.

Posted : April 13, 2021 6:52 am
(@jaydmc)

My bike has winches front and rear on it, I simply winch in, hook up the rear winch, suck it down tight and away we go.

Your toy hauler should have tie down points, you could strap the winch to a tie down, store it when not in use. A winch is also a good way to get the bike back out as you can control the speed. One trick I like usually when I am backing a two wheeled bike but also the case if you can not be on the seat of the sidecar bike backing it out. With the engine not running, leave the bike in gear and use the clutch to stop the bike. This way you are breaking the rear wheel some thing hard to do when not on the bike. When using just the front brake as you come down the ramp your front tire is likely to simply skid rather then slow you down.

Jay G
DMC sidecars

www.dmcsidecars.com

866-638-1793

Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

Posted : April 13, 2021 10:24 am
(@smitty901)

On or in a trail a wheel chock is a very good Idea. Even when strapped down a sidecar rig can twist a bit on a trailer A good wheel chock hols it in place. It also helps make sure every time it in in the same place. Driving the rig on and backing it off this trailer is easy. The curved  ramp helps a lot.

The ply wood was used . To load bike with out sidecar and is not staying on. It worked perfectly.

Posted : April 14, 2021 10:02 pm
(@big-tom)
Topic starter

Speaking of a Chock is anyone familiar with this one?

https://www.boltiton.com/product/1-harley-cruiser-system/

I use a Condor Chock in my 6X10 box trailer but I'm not comfortable with drilling holes in the new Toy Hauler.

Posted : April 15, 2021 3:18 am
(@lowriderbud)

I have a Toy Hauler and have trailered a sidecar rig in it.  I have also trailered a rig on my utility trailer - very different experience.  The Toy Hauler is about a foot higher than the utility trailer and the angle is what must be considered to maintain control.   I don't run a brake on my rigs but it might be helpful, but one more thing to negotiate.  If it gets sideways you are SOL.

Loading is not an issue, but backing it down the ramp is.  As Jay pointed out the key is keeping it straight,  and it will try to slid sideways from the weight of the car.  Using the gears as a rear-wheel brake to slow you down and maintain control works best.  Using a winch might be a better  solution.   Maybe make a winch mount that is removable and doesn't require drilling.

Don't attempt loading or unloading by yourself.  

Good luck, Bud...

Posted : April 15, 2021 3:41 am