USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Sidecar Ready Monday

I'm stoked, my Hannigan sidecar is ready for me to pick up Monday morning and I doubt I'll sleep until then.
Since this is a first for me I've a question from my black lab that I really bought this for, I have a pair of Doggles for her but since this is an enclosed rig, will I need to put them on her? Below is a picture of the model I ordered, it does have a removable top and snap in side windows, that is why I'm wondering if the Doggles will be needed. Thanks

hmssp2-SMALL.jpg

You won't know till you take her for a ride. If she likes to sit quietly behind the windshield, then no. But if she prefers to stick her head out the side into the windstream like most dogs do, then yes. Of course, no, when you have the top and sides snapped in.

I agree with Ned, try it and see what works best. Along the lines of dogs in hacks, do you all tether the dog so it can't jump out? My dog is not very well disciplined (my fault) and I am not sure she will stay put.

I did have Hannigan install a couple of tether eye hooks in the car and have already made a special harness for her. I don't think she would jump out but if she noticed something to chase at a stop light, like a cat, I'm afraid she'd bolt after it.

MJZ - 1/8/2012 9:48 AM
... install a couple of tether eye hooks in the car and have already made a special harness for her. I don't think she would jump out but if she noticed something to chase at a stop light, like a cat, I'm afraid she'd bolt after it.

Same here. I was worried the harness wouldn't hold Maddie when a cat strutted about 30 feet away a few weeks ago. And Squirrels are almost as bad.

Lee Summer Grove, LA R1100GS/CSM Sidecar, Burgman/Texas Ranger, Zuma 50F, MB5, TW200, CRF250L

SwampFox - 1/8/2012 12:11 AM

MJZ - 1/8/2012 9:48 AM
... install a couple of tether eye hooks in the car and have already made a special harness for her. I don't think she would jump out but if she noticed something to chase at a stop light, like a cat, I'm afraid she'd bolt after it.

Same here. I was worried the harness wouldn't hold Maddie when a cat strutted about 30 feet away a few weeks ago. And Squirrels are almost as bad.

Yep, same here. We have quite a few oak trees in our yard and when Colby is no chasing squirrels she is sitting on the bay window seat barking at them.

I have the same concerns, NOODLES will chase anything that moves. My CSC has a seat belt and I am looking at different ways to tether the dog. I have a padded harness that may work, but I am also looking at adapting the doggie life vest that we use on the boat. It covers most of her body and has several attachment points.

MJZ - 1/8/2012 12:04 AM

I'm stoked, my Hannigan sidecar is ready for me to pick up Monday morning and I doubt I'll sleep until then.
Since this is a first for me I've a question from my black lab that I really bought this for, I have a pair of Doggles for her but since this is an enclosed rig, will I need to put them on her? Below is a picture of the model I ordered, it does have a removable top and snap in side windows, that is why I'm wondering if the Doggles will be needed. Thanks

hmssp2-SMALL.jpg

nice side car....,but for me its nicer if the color is lava red

Picked her up today.

Attached files

Doggles are for open air riding to protect from wind blast and airborne debris.

L.