Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecar on gs 850

Wanting to mount a sidecar on gs 850. Has anyone had a 850 with a car? Would like to get some feed back, good idea or whatever. Thanks. Jerry Kaufman 

Welcome Jerry

I can't help as far as offering info but can say it has and can be done. have you got a car in mind already or just looking into the possibility 

I'm sure you will get all the answers you need here, so ask away 

I had a GS850 for a couple years, nice bikes 

USCA # 8913

What's great about the 850 is the final drive ratio is nice and low.  What is it -- 37/11 or something?  That helps a lot.  As far as subframes and whatnot, I think the subframe is almost the same as for a R1100GS.  You might want to call Jay at DMC Sidecars.  He'll know.  In fact, he might still have the jigs needed to fabricate a subframe for you.  He's a longtime member here -- jaydmc

I can't say about the sidecar, but I had a new GS850L  back in 1984. That's what I was riding when my wife decided she'd ride with me after all.  I used to tell the kids, this is where I'm going, you two decide whose turn it is. Worked well. Then when Barb tried it she found out she liked it and we actually started doing some fine touring, leaving the kids at home. Too many details to go into that but they were safe and we stayed in touch. The one thing I'll say about the 850 is it was about as bullet proof a bike as a bike can be. Lot's of memories on that bike. Then came the first Gold Wing after 4 years and 40,000 miles on the GS850. Then another Wing, then the first Harley. Bought it new in late '95 and still have it. With the Liberty. Just sold the other Harley with the Spalding. My daughter with the 850. She'll turn 50 in a few more weeks.

Uploaded files:
  • You need to login to have access to uploads.
- "retired" WA state rep. Many years and many posts more than what show up here now.

Oh, you guys think he's talking about a Suzuki GS850?

I figgered he meant a BMW 850 GS.

I had a GS850 full dresser, traded it for a Quicksliver MX.  Had a BMW R60/2 with S500 Steib sidecar and a BMW K100 with flexit sidecar so never mounted a sidecar on it.

Dave