Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecar multi-tasking....

Hey Folks;

So check this out....one of the main appeals for me with my rig is the fairly easy way I can remove the sidecar and go solo, and then return the sidecar back to service, again, in a few miniutes. I've always been a big fan of multi-tasking, for it cuts down on expense, material, weight and sometimes, trouble. On the other hand, it can add a bit of inconvenience to the equation as well (remember the ShopSmith multi-tool woodworking outfit?) since change-outs are usually a bit more complicated than having two things capable of doing one thing at a time.

Well, you see, I love to fish. I'm a fly-fisherman on Kentucky Lake, here in Western Kentucky. Since I'm pretty much the only guy in these parts who knows how to use a flyrod, I take it as my civil duty and responsibility to try and show up those other red-neck 'experts' on every occasion.

And not only so, but I build small canoe sized boats sometimes, called piroques (that's more or less cajun for canoe....remember Hank Williams singing, "Me got 'a go pole the piroque down the bayou"?). I can build one in a couple of days, get a couple of years' service out of it and build another when needed. Lots cheaper than a canoe but every bit as easy to turn over if you aren't careful.

So anyhow, the other day, looking at my sidecar frame sitting attached to my bike, body off, I noted the width was just about perfect for holding on that frame (with maybe a plywood floor or some other cradling device) a normal sized piroque. Eureka! An epiphany!! A multi-tasker's dream....

But am I crazy (if you think so, that's okay, lot's of folks around home here already do)? Can you think of a good reason, safety included, why I shouldn't pop out those four little bolts holding my sidecar body on, remove the body, add another simple mounting system, and put a piroque onboard for the ten mile ride to the lake for some fishing?

I would have an overhang no greater than three feet or so on either end of the rig. The anchor, ice chest, drinks and so forth would serve as counterweight, and more could be added if needed. Unloading and loading up would be much easier than shooting for the roof of a car, or even the back of a truck. And if the fish aren't biting, I can always talk to the folks hanging around there who think I'm a genius (or more likely, a nut) for thinking of such a thing.

I don't know. Once I get something like this in my mind its often very difficult to dislodge it....but I'm not saying anything to Mrs. Sahagan yet. I ain't no fool!

Later....

Sahagan

Go for it! I've always threatened to do the same with one of my Kayaks, and Troy over in Rochester pulls a canoe on a trailer behind his Harley.But personally, I prefer fishing Cumberland. 😉

Hey Mike;

Yeah, I do think its just about a done deal....but tell me this. I see your address as Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, one of those "W" states anyway, and when you say 'Cumberland' I immediately think about trout fishing on the Cumberland Plateau in Tennessee. Is there another Cumberland region out your way?

And that reminds me....I fished both the Firehole and Gibbon rivers in Yellowstone 30 years ago (with a genuine old bamboo rod). While casting atop a bit of an overhang bank on the Firehole, a pair of playful (if this were a novel I'd say "gamboling") river otters boiled out from under the bank tossing water everywhere.

Well sir, I thought it was a bear, a big bear, a big wet, mad bear, got pretty doggoned flustered myself, and pulled my backcast pretty severely. The only thing I caught was my right ear. But I did catch my right ear very well indeed. And so ended my fishing on one of the most famous flyfishing rivers in the country.

I'll keep you posted. I still have to build the bloomin' piroque, design and fabricate a simple cradle or mount for it on the sidecar frame, and then, heh, heh, heh! its to the lake we go....

Later!

Sahagan

Actually, I was remembering renting a pontoon boat at the Lake Cumberland State Park down in Russell County, KY and flipping a 12 foot long Fenwick Ultralite for smallmouths.

Hey Mike;

Oh.....bass. Now, don't misunderstand, I'm not prejudiced. But I am a purist.

I use my flyrod almost exclusively for bream; Bluegill, Sunperch, Shellcracker, but will land the occasional lunker bass if I can't lose it any other way. Nope, never caught a trout in my life! In fact, I have no idea whether there are trout on the Plateau no not.

Do they have bream in Lake Cumberland?

Thanks Sir!

Sahagan

click here ..lol:
http://www.geocities.com/moturist/sailing.html

Hi Claude;

Well, you got to give the guy credit. He's got the amphibian sidecar gig pretty well covered hasn't he?

On the other hand, his sidecar is poorly designed for proper form and style for fly-casting. I think I'll stick to my piroque idea.

Although....you think a Hannigan would float?

Sahagan

>>Although....you think a Hannigan would float?<<

I dunno about the Hannigan but if you try it maybe a video camera would be in order:-)

There was a rig at the Finger Lakes BMW Rally year before last with a Kayak on the sidecar frame..pretty neat.
Claude

I'm a little late with a reply here but at the two Ural rallies that Sheldon Aubut held in Cloquet, a guy showed up with a jet ski he had mounted instead of the sidecar body. He just backed down to the water, launched and off he went. Pretty Slick!

Also a couple years ago, in the BMWMOA magazine was a photo of an BMW R75 with a sidecar flatbed attached with an R75 racebike on the flatbed. The owner took his race bike to the track this way.

Hey....

Looks to me like, if you can think of it, somebody else has already done it!

Sahagan

Tub,
I read where some of the old time racers did this on a regular basis ...There is also some pics of Doug Bingham doing this for the Barsto to Vegas run one year over at Mike Braverman's site. Pretty neat stuff Tub ..sidecars are sure a lot of fun.