Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

Sidecar identification Request

I am trying to post a couple of photos so someone can educate me on what year and model H-D sidecar I have picked up.

Attached files

Going by the mounts i see see its a pre 1982 post a pic of the rear mount and it will tell what bike it was on ,is the serial number still visible on the sidecar frame ?

I cannot find a serial number. Just two rivets on the frame where a plate was once located. I will send more pics. I spoke with DMC and this won't fit on my bike without fabrication. I plan on selling this and getting a new one like a liberty or something that will bolt on a 2012 streetglide. I have a service dog who would be riding in the car.

Attached files

most of the time the number is stamped on the frame along where the rivit is but in this case they used a tag .but this sidecar is for a shovelhead or a panhead harley .you can sell it and put the money towards a sidecar like a Liberty

thanks

I did find a number on the frame, but I don't know what it means and I cant read the first number.

Attached files

the first 2 numbers are years ,the last part is of the serial number is that it was # 1128 made that year .

just guessing i would say we can rule out 39 and 49 .so it could be a 1969

The tub and fender appear are correct for 1969, but if it was a 1969 the VIN should be 69LE1128, which it isn't. You have the bent swingarm mount, which was for '58-'72 Harleys. But the rear mount on the sidecar frame is wrong - it looks shorter than original, has a non-factory gusset underneath, and what looks like grinding marks all over it.

I think this is a CLE or later sidecar on which someone tried to recreate an LE rear mount for a round swingarm shovel or pan.

I don't know what year they changed the VIN format. I am betting the fender has the later, large plastic taillight rather than the smaller metal tail light with plastic lens that was last used in 1972.

it is a 6. So the number is 69-1128, I thought it would be newer with the fiberglass body, and with no damage to the body. Thanks.

It has an aftermarket tombstone on the fender, unfortunately. The wheel is an old star shaped bearing cap 16 inch spoker, drum brake.

I've passed on a lot of hardware and for the 69 over the years, sometime kicking my self for it and you are stirring up interest again. I would be entertain the deal on the hack if you do opt for a different option.
Sure would like to bring my 69 EletraGlide hacked up to the national rally in SD and motoring around Colorado until the 2016 rally

I did offer it to a friend with a 1980 shovel, but if he doesn't want it you can PM me an offer.

80 shovel has a square'ish swing arm, but that should be easy hardware to find.

2015-01-20

spat - 1/19/2015 11:26 PM 80 shovel has a square'ish swing arm, but that should be easy hardware to find.

With the correct rear two piece mounting block that mounts to the Square swing arm THAT rear mount on the sidecar frame will work.

The top mount looks to be missing the spring,washer, safety lock washer,nut and clip to secure the top "J" bar to the frame, you will also need to remove the tanks to install the top mount to the frame.

QUESTION, Your 5 th photo, the one showing the leaf spring going to the rear body mount it looks like the rear shackle has been bent towards the wheel side.

The other photo of the spring closest to the bike looks to be bowed sideways and some of the straps that secure the spring pack are stretched and loose.

Is there any indication of frame damage?

I don't see any damage anywhere. That inner spring does have two loose spring straps in the rear, maybe that has caused weakness and bowing. It wasn't on a bike when I found it in some pickers garage, and he also had no bike history on it. It appears to be straight and true and the body has no damage and seems original fiberglass and paint. I wonder what it was mounted on, it does have some work done on the rear mount area, but I cant figure out why. I greatly appreciate all of the expert advice everyone is giving me, I am not a sidecar expert. Thank you.

About time you were thinking about a hack on that Shovel again Spat. You and Cookie can both ride a hack to the Sturgis rally.

I found a part number on the frame (88-91118). Took a few more pics. My service dog always wants to jump on my gas tank, that is why I had an idea for a sidecar. I like old school stuff so I took this when I saw it. Maybe I need to find an old ratted out shovel to put this on; or sell it and get a new retro looking hack. The dog loves it.

Attached files