Skip to content

USCA Sidecar Forum

For some extra information about navigating the forum you can go to Forum Tips

Please to create posts and topics.

sidecar for BMW K1200 GT

Hello
I am trying to find a used sidecar for my BMW. It has an aluminum frame from what I am being told and it looks like there is no model that just pops on. Is it true that I will need a sub frames modification to make it work. I'm trying to get smart on this....... Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. I'm a retired veteran with multiple health issues. Even though ive been riding. For around 26 years I feel that I now need the stability for long highway rides. now that I live on a pension, I need to be able to plan for modification cost along with the price of a sidecar.

Mitzi
Tucson, Az

I just bought a 2008 K1200GT with a Hannigan sidecar on it. I can tell you that this was installed by Hannigan and feels solid. Can't say about other rigs, but this one is connected very well. When I priced them from Hannigan to attach to my other bike, it was going to be between $8-9k. Might get it cheaper with fewer add-ons. Can't wait to hear other thoughts.

Eric
Woodstock, GA

You will need a sub frame, no way around it. This is one of the few BMW's that we do not make a sub frame for so the only way we could do this is with the bike in our shop. If you do find a used sidecar to attach to your bike please contact me before you buy it, some sidecars can never be safe on your bike, others by the time you make the needed up grades may not be such a good deal. Our least expensive new sidecar for your bike is our Kenna single $3995 which includes the mounts but as we do not have mounts for your bike we would charge you $1200 to install the sidecar and just make a set of one off mounts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
http://www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
2328 Roosevelt Ave.
Enumclaw WA

Jay G DMC sidecars www.dmcsidecars.com 15616 Carbonado South Prairie RD Buckley WA 98321 866-638-1793 Hours Monday - Thursday 6-4:30

You might want to mention the year of your GT. BMW made the K1200GT as a 2003/2004 model (2005 in CA and other parts of the world) using the brick K engine, and a K1200GT from 2006-2008 using the transverse-4 ("wedge K") engine. The front ends are completely different on the two series of GTs and that can impact sidecar installation.

Best,

GTRider

Thanks for the info.
Mitzi